News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

9 Mikes

Started by twodko, October 27, 2013, 03:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

So I finally bought a Glock 17 9 mike a few months ago. I've put a 50 rd box through it and its lived up to Glock's reputation for well made, accurate weapons.

For a service weapon the Glocks are a great choice but I just don't care for a handgun without an external safety. Before I take this down to my local gun nut consortium for consignment sale I want to query the forum for opinions pro or con on other 9 mike semi-autos out there.

The 2 biggest pluses about my Glock 17 are its light weight and accuracy. Light weight goes away with the transition to a non-polymer frame but I'd sure like to find a medium framed 9mm thats not a boat anchor.

Let the debate begin.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Chargerguy74

I love the glock 17. I run a G17 RTF2 with about 6000 rounds through it now. I also have a CZ 75 SP01 Tactical which has a decocker rather than a manual safety. I don't like pistols with manual safeties as I want it to go bang every time I pull the trigger. The nice thing about the Glock is that it has 3 safeties, all of which are deactivated by pulling the trigger. Your finger should never be on the trigger, or even in the trigger guard, until you're ready to discharge the firearm anyway.

I also have experience with the Ruger SR9 and the Smith and Wesson M&P9 (which I sold and really miss). All of these are great pistols, but the Glock is by far my favorite of the polymer pistols out there.

As for a non polymer frame, I recommend the CZ 75. It has an extremely reliable track record and is very well designed. It will also have a manual safety, depending on the model, or come with an interchangeable decocker and manual safety...your choice.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

twodko

Yessir, I've been eyeballing the CZ75 for some time now and I'm leaning in that direction. Browning hi-power 9's are world class but not very robust. Sigs are on my radar too but spendy. I'd rather spend the difference on ammo. The CZ's are kinda like the AK's of hand guns.......they always work and work well.

Chargerguy74

They sure are. Actually, they're more like the VZ 58 of handguns. Check this out

http://www.cz-usa.com/press-releases/102/
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

twodko

Thanks for that link, lot of info there. I just looked at a medium frame Ruger 9mm that I really liked the feel of. The sights were outstanding and it felt balanced in my hand, SA/DA, ambidextrous safety AND it wasn't a boat anchor. The dealer is interested in my Glock 17 but there is $100 price difference between the two. I'll see what the guy has to say.

Patronus

I'd talk you into the .45..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

bull

Glock enjoys a great reputation and a price to match. Other than that I'm not all that impressed with them. Buying a Glock instead of a decent Ruger is kind of like buying a $200 Benchmade knife instead of a $40 Gerber or Kershaw.

twodko

Now that I own a Glock.....hopefully not for long.......those are my sentiments exactly.

True that about .45s. If I had a choice I'd rather get shot with a 9mm than a .45.
I might walk away after a 9mike hit but you don't walk anywhere after a .45 strike.

twodko

I'm negotiating a trade for a Ruger SR9. He also has a SR45 available but I have so freakin' much 9mm ammo.  Can't afford both platforms. :shruggy:

rt green

had a 9 mm beretta in the late 80's. loved it. it did everything I needed it to do.
third string oil changer

bull

I have a Ruger P94 in .40 and it's been real nice.

twodko

Hey gang,

I listed my Glock 17 on CalGuns.net Wednesday and had two interested parties by Friday. I sold the weapon
this morning. The store had just opened so the DROS was complete in about 15 minutes. When the happy buyer left I stepped up to order a Ruger SR9 only to find out Ruger is swamped. Turns out the NRA order a sizable lot of this model which only added to Ruger's backlog. Ah well, it'll happen when it happens. To ease my disappointment I treated myself to an AR brass catcher and a 12 gauge bore snake. Woohoo!