News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear bumper

Started by el dub, October 22, 2013, 11:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el dub

So how did you guys mount the bumper? As a whole unit or put the brackets on first then the bumper. Can you get a wrench behind the bumper if you do it this way. Also my manual shows a washer? or something between the bracket and body? What is it that goes there?
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

tsmithae

Doesn't seem there is too much room behind the bumper when attached and I mounted brackets and then put on as an assembly.

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

HeavyFuel

Rig it up like this, then mount to the body.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95015.msg1084917.html#msg1084917

In the trunk you will have a big washer and the nut.

The bumperettes get put on last.

el dub

Thanks guys. HeavyFuel, what kind of gasket material was that in your pic? Foam?   lw
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

John L

I put the brackets on the bumper first then mounted it to the car, very simple to do. I had foam gaskets in a kit purchased from DMT that go on all 4 main bolts. As also said bumperettes go on last, I switched the hardware for these to stainless.

green69rt

The gaskets just hold the bolts in place as you mount the whole assembly to the car, I doubt if they serve any other function.  So use anything you want to hold those bolts.  I just cut some thin plastic from a light bulb package.

HeavyFuel

Actually the push-on serrated washer type thing holds the bolts on the bracket during install.

The foamy gasket helps to keep water out of the trunk.

green69rt

Quote from: HeavyFuel on October 23, 2013, 08:47:07 PM
Actually the push-on serrated washer type thing holds the bolts on the bracket during install.

The foamy gasket helps to keep water out of the trunk.

Now that makes sense.

fy469rtse

Sorry for the hijack Mitch what's the latest with your girl, back home ? Still waiting for detailed photo's pal  and corrective work