News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

more fan blades better cooling?

Started by 1974dodgecharger, October 20, 2013, 10:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

I have a 4 fan blade right now in my 383. she runs 180 while driving in the heat and when she just sits there for 10mins she gets up to 200 or 205 range.

Would running a 7 blade fan keep it cooler while idling?

A383Wing

it will pull more air in, so it theoretically should cool better, this taking into account that your cooling system has no other issues.

1974dodgecharger

thx 383 everything seems fine just when I idle for 10mins to take pics she jumps to 200 to 205 range then I get back in for the drive and goes back down to 180.

68 RT

flyinlow

So your cooling SYSTEM is not performing well when the vehicle is not in motion. Sounds like you need more airflow thru the radiator.  Fan with more blades and /or more pitch on the blades, a shroud to help the fan pull air thru the entire radiator might help. You could try putting a large window fan in front of the car while idling and see if that helps for troubleshooting.

Ignition timing, idle speed and mixture, improper water pump/pulley can contribute to hot idling but these are not as common.

A383Wing

Quote from: 68 RT on October 21, 2013, 10:14:54 AM
Sounds normal to me.

no, it actually doesn't...temp is going up too fast in the short amount of time he is idling

Bryan

Dino

Have you tried hooking up an aftermarket temp gauge to make sure it's not the gauge itself?  If not I would give that one a try before anything else.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Speedfreak

Quote from: A383Wing on October 21, 2013, 12:28:33 PM
Quote from: 68 RT on October 21, 2013, 10:14:54 AM
Sounds normal to me.

no, it actually doesn't...temp is going up too fast in the short amount of time he is idling

Bryan

Could there be a restriction in the cooling system that is no overcome in idle?

John_Kunkel

If the fan is driven by a clutch I'd look at the fan clutch, not the fan itself. Is there a fan shroud?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

A383Wing

I'm pretty sure no 4 blade fans were ever attached to a fan clutch. Sounds like he is running a standard fixed fan.

A383Wing

Quote from: Speedfreak on October 21, 2013, 03:20:08 PM

Could there be a restriction in the cooling system that is no overcome in idle?

if there was a restriction in the cooling system, one would think that it would overheat above idle faster than at idle. Our cars usually get hot idling around or stop & go driving, once you get them moving through the air, temps ususlly come down. Sounds like his is going up too fast at low RPM, a 7 blade fan will be better, but it's more or less a band-aid to his problem. I'm thinking air flow issue or partial plugged radiator

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Dino on October 21, 2013, 01:46:11 PM
Have you tried hooking up an aftermarket temp gauge to make sure it's not the gauge itself?  If not I would give that one a try before anything else.

yeah dino thats what I have actually an aftermarket guage hooked up the stock one was telling me I was 230 before I made the switch.

Theres a 7 blade im looking he wants 100 bucksfor it I will have to find out if it will fit in there.

flyinlow

High performance cooling:
1.   big radiator, fan shroud, 5-7 blade fan with thermostatic fan clutch. (my son's '70 Charger, old school)
2.  Big aluminum radiator, two 14 inch 3000 cfm. each electric fans. (my '73 Charger, newer design, needs relays, big alternator, noisy when running. never gets hot)

Both work.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: flyinlow on October 21, 2013, 09:30:32 PM
High performance cooling:
1.   big radiator, fan shroud, 5-7 blade fan with thermostatic fan clutch. (my son's '70 Charger, old school)
2.  Big aluminum radiator, two 14 inch 3000 cfm. each electric fans. (my '73 Charger, newer design, needs relays, big alternator, noisy when running. never gets hot)

Both work.

thx, I like the recommendations by your guys and looking at cuda kens recommendation also, but due to finances I need to buy it all one piece at a time like Johnny Cash saids.

Nacho-RT74

4 blades fan ? shouldn't be 5 ? originals without AC are 5 as far I know
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

A383Wing

both my 66's are-were stock 4 blade fans....I'm unsure about 68 & up....service manuals will tell you which blade style and number of blades were on the car from the factory

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on October 21, 2013, 11:10:04 PM
4 blades fan ? shouldn't be 5 ? originals without AC are 5 as far I know

Yeah I had to double check, but yeah I have a 4 fan blade.....

Dino

Before it exploded, I ran an aluminum flex fan and the temps were the same as with my clutch and 6 blade fan.  Both without shroud, have not installed it yet. 

I did get my temps down by flushing the cooling system though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

flyinlow

I am confused, 1974 Charger with a 383?

Anyway ,My '73 FSM states 4 blade fans on 225 and 318 without A/C

All BB have 5 or 7 blades most with  clutch fans.

My Kabota has a four blade fan and spends most of its time going 5mph. But it has a fan shroud. That darn piece of plastic really helps sometimes.  :yesnod:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: flyinlow on October 22, 2013, 09:30:04 PM
I am confused, 1974 Charger with a 383?

Anyway ,My '73 FSM states 4 blade fans on 225 and 318 without A/C

All BB have 5 or 7 blades most with  clutch fans.

My Kabota has a four blade fan and spends most of its time going 5mph. But it has a fan shroud. That darn piece of plastic really helps sometimes.  :yesnod:

no sorry I have a 68, my bad I cant change my handle name, I think?  Or someone already has 1968dodgecharger cant remember.

talkiemopar

My superbird is a 440 6 pac 4 speed. I run a 160 thermostat, fan shroud, and 7 blade fan, not the clutch type. It runs about 174 on a hot day. I would try the thermostat first.  Rick.