News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A few questions for a 70 Charger...

Started by b5blue, October 22, 2013, 04:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Do the hood inserts get gaskets? (The housing that holds the blinkers.)
How did you re-install a new "Charger" badge on the tail panel trim? The original is "mushroomed" fitted from the factory, the studs are smashed down till they flare out to hold in place. I don't have anyway to replicate that process.
I'm heading into my brief cooler dry season for paint/repairs and have been scratching my head on these details for months!  :lol:

twodko

The hood blinkers on my 69 have a very thin black rubber gasket between the lens and housing but nothing between the housing and hood opening. I'm thinkin' MaMopar did this for drainage reasons.

As for the emblem perhaps a couple small dabs o' adhesive of some kind.......double sided foam tape?  :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bill440rt

Neal, I used speed nuts on the back of the tail panel emblem, then cut the studs shorter. Otherwise they will hit the body and the trim won't sit flush.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

b5blue

Thanks guys!  :2thumbs:
  I've wondered how water would drain, I have a set of factory light block off plates as lights are not in the budget and was hoping the water would seep past them.
  I was wondering what clearance was behind the tail panel cover and the body Bill, speed nuts would be an easy fix.
I'm hoping to paint the inserts, Rally Mirrors and tail panel cover this weekend as it's supposed to be 82* with low humidity. That would let me get this stuff mounted before it gets messed up sitting around!  :scratchchin: 

A383Wing

I got the lights in my 70....they do not drain when I wash the car ir when it rains...no gaskets between housing & hood

b5blue

Thanks, with how much rain I get here in Florida that could be an issue!  :scratchchin: I'll try not sealing the block off plates (Like I was thinking of doing.) to allow some seepage.

A383Wing

careful where you make them drain to...you don't want water draining on top of the battery or alternator

b5blue

Quote from: A383Wing on October 22, 2013, 06:08:26 PM
careful where you make them drain to...you don't want water draining on top of the battery or alternator
Well for many years there were no lenses in the housings at all, just open, even in torrential downpours that lasted days I had no issues. But yea I worried every time I thought about it!  :2thumbs: This will be just enough to allow seepage over time so I don't get puddles that dry out by just evaporation. The car is intended to go back as a daily driver by spring next year after a 2 year vacation mostly just sitting while I slowly did body patches and paint.