News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

An alternate to chroming

Started by Mytur Binsdirti, October 24, 2013, 02:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

J.Bond

It's been around for a while, I know some builders have used it in the past and were trying to find out how it stood up to sunlight UV. Had a guy in Toronto about five years ago, with a two stage system, two spray nozzels, two different products at the same time. However he was having problems with it and some what, shut it down. The guy had an ad or link that showed some of his work, pretty much chromed anything he could get his hands on, he even had a chomed tiolet, on display.

Aero426

For small pot metal parts with pitting, that could be the ticket.

NHCharger

Quote from: Aero426 on October 24, 2013, 03:18:32 PM
For small pot metal parts with pitting, that could be the ticket.
That's what I was thinking.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

BIGBLCK11

That is pretty cool.  I wonder if you could use it with masking, to do the bezels on a gauge cluster.

cudaken

I can see it now, Chromed Plated 68 Road Runner! :D I like chrome!  :coolgleamA:

Cuda Ken
I am back

bull

Quote from: J.Bond on October 24, 2013, 03:05:47 PM
It's been around for a while, I know some builders have used it in the past and were trying to find out how it stood up to sunlight UV.

They mentioned giving it a couple coats of clear in the video so that should provide plenty of UV protection. Also the clear can be buffed to bring out more shine.

A383Wing

I thought a member here named Bill (bill440rt or something like that) did this just a little while back in his garage?

I remember a second generation headlight or wiper rocker switch being done by him?

Cooter

Buddy had a few pieces done. Looked like really shiney chrome aluminum paint imo. Prep is everything here.
Not my style but I can see a few doing interior parts.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

64dartgt

Went to the site...looks like a dead player.  No real activity since 2010.

Nacho-RT74

I always have thought since the first time I saw that, IMHO not for a driver car.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

John_Kunkel

Quote from: cudaken on October 24, 2013, 08:51:43 PM
I can see it now, Chromed Plated 68 Road Runner!

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

1974dodgecharger

more involved, but better than what I was trying to do...I used duplicolor chrome and that turned out like gray sheit and tried rustoleum chrome and turned out even worse....

Mike DC

I've always thought a 2nd-gen Charger would look AWESOME chrome-plated. 

The70RT

Has anyone seen any good alternate Ideas for plastic chroming? I need to do my gauge /dash panels.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

J.Bond

3M chrome wrap,removable as well

bill440rt

Quote from: A383Wing on October 24, 2013, 11:05:01 PM
I thought a member here named Bill (bill440rt or something like that) did this just a little while back in his garage?

I remember a second generation headlight or wiper rocker switch being done by him?

Nope, not me.
I thought it was member bobfist. I remember his post with the rocker switch spray chrome also.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

tsmithae

Quote from: The70RT on October 30, 2013, 09:17:00 AM
Has anyone seen any good alternate Ideas for plastic chroming? I need to do my gauge /dash panels.

Alclad, available online or at your nearest hobby store.  Worked great on my dash. 

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

A383Wing

Quote from: bill440rt on October 30, 2013, 07:10:00 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on October 24, 2013, 11:05:01 PM

Nope, not me.
I thought it was member bobfist. I remember his post with the rocker switch spray chrome also.  :yesnod:

yea...it was him...I remember the rocker switch.....sorry

cudaken

Quote from: J.Bond on October 30, 2013, 02:24:47 PM

So I can chrome right over the darn rust holes!  :scratchchin: Now you have me thinking!  :D

Cuda Ken
I am back

The70RT

Quote from: tsmithae on October 30, 2013, 07:53:19 PM
Quote from: The70RT on October 30, 2013, 09:17:00 AM

Alclad, available online or at your nearest hobby store.  Worked great on my dash. 

Thanks, i will look into it. It seems the caps on the rattle cans always look better than when you spray it out onto something. :P
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

J.Bond

Quote from: cudaken on October 30, 2013, 08:22:30 PM
Quote from: J.Bond on October 30, 2013, 02:24:47 PM

So I can chrome right over the darn rust holes!  :scratchchin: Now you have me thinking!  :D

Cuda Ken

I have a client that has colour chromed four of his vehicles, 2 GTR's , the wife's Mercedes and Excelade. Here is some food for thought, it just seems too easy.......http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110391