News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Separate drive shift from diff...

Started by Canadian1968, October 19, 2013, 03:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

I am dropping my entire rear axle. I removed the two brackets that clamp over the u joint to diff. I don't see any other direct connection. But the drive shaft is still firm in place , will it brake loose I lower the diff ???

A383Wing

stick a large screwdriver or prybar between U-joint & differential yoke, it should pop off with little pressure

Canadian1968

Thanks that was pretty easy !!

Now I am just having trouble getting the rear eye bolt out of shackle for the leaf spring. Any suggestions for that ?? Do I want to let the spring hand or do I want it jacked up a bit ???

A383Wing

you want the springs & rear housing hang without a load on them. Jack up the car and put jack stands under the frame in front of the leaf spring connection. You may have to tap the shock perch off with a hammer...be sure your shock is disconnected at the bottom when you do this

Canadian1968

Ahhh this would be the problem !.
The Shocks are already off, so I just need to lower the axle and take the load OFF the spring  :brickwall:

Thanks

A383Wing

you are also gonna need the jack under the housing to keep the entire assembly from falling to ground when you take rear shackle bolt out

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"