News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pickup coil for a 383

Started by DadsCharger00, October 16, 2013, 09:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DadsCharger00

so the other day I decided to take grace for a drive in my new hood. So we went down to the grocery store. So I park there, grab a few groceries, and return the car. I try to start the car and nothing. She turns over but no inclination of starting whatsoever. So I sit there for a few minutes pondering what to do next. And a gentleman pulls up to admire the car. He's probably my age somewhere in his 30's, and explains to me he has a 66 and 67 at home in his garage and just recently completed a build on SS Chevelle for his brother. Says he loves cars but its Mopar for him.his exact words were I love mopar but boy they can be finicky at times. I just laughed and said that's why I'm still here! So he parked his truck and jumped out and said Well im a mechanic too.let's figure this out. long story short, we think its the pickup coil. so all my car gurus......... What pickup coil do I need?

Ghoste

Is it the Mopar distributor?  If so, they only used one to my knowledge.

RIDELIKEHELL

Mine was a loose wire on the ammeter as all the power travels through that....I replaced a lot of thing to find out that was my isse.....do you have 12 volts or more to your coil?
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

DadsCharger00

Well when it wouldn't start we checked for spark and there wasn't spark at the distributor initially so we thought orange box initially but another mechanic said based on symptoms its pickup coil

RIDELIKEHELL

Just telling you that I went through replacing distributor,coil, etc and it was a loose connection in the dash on my ammeter. You should have 12 volts or more with the key in the ignition in the run position. I would have it when I checked the all of a sudden I would have no spark so it made chasing it a bitch.  Post in the tech section and I am sure someone will chime in as they did with me.
AMD POSTER BOY

ODZKing

I thought that it was pickup too with my 67.  But in was in fact the orange box.  
Car stalled and wouldn't start. Once it cooled off, it started again, once. Then no more.
We changed the distributor all together and that didn't do it. I had extra parts from my 73 build so we tried everything and it was in fact the box.
They are only $35 and even if that is not it, it is good to have a spare in the trunk.

Ghoste

I've had the intermittent thing with A mopar ecu as well.  Some of that solid state tech can be a devil to chase down.

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: ODZKing on October 16, 2013, 10:36:59 AM
I thought that too with my 67.  But in was in fact the orange box.  
Car stalled and wouldn't start. Once it cooled off, it started again, once. Then no more.
We changed the distributor all together and that didn't do it. I had extra parts from my 73 build so we tried everything and it was in fact the box.
They are only $35 and even if that is not it, it is good to have a spare in the trunk.

I don't have that box but thought it was my pertronix ignition pieces...
AMD POSTER BOY

John_Kunkel

Before replacing parts do a little troubleshooting.

Disconnect the connector at the distributor, turn on the ignition switch and touch the male prong on the engine harness to ground. Each time the prong is grounded and pulled away you should get a spark from the coil. If it sparks the distributor pickup is the problem, if not it's the ECU or coil.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cdr

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 16, 2013, 04:08:00 PM

Before replacing parts do a little troubleshooting.

Disconnect the connector at the distributor, turn on the ignition switch and touch the male prong on the engine harness to ground. Each time the prong is grounded and pulled away you should get a spark from the coil. If it sparks the distributor pickup is the problem, if not it's the ECU or coil.

or the ballast resistor
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

The ballast is overridden in START.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69rtse4spd

Check the gap on the mag. pick up. Drove mine to lunch one day, ran fine, ate lunch, would not start. For some reason the gap opened up. :shruggy:. Also one time long ago on the 69, same thing happened, would up being the coil tower had a crack in it, weird sh*t, but it happens.

DadsCharger00

Ok so I have one arm right now ( shoulder surgery) so I'm writing all this stuff down to try :2thumbs: how do I check that gP?

ACUDANUT

Is a pick up coil in a truck ? lol..I have always just heard it called a coil... :shruggy:

Back N Black

Quote from: ACUDANUT on October 18, 2013, 09:18:38 AM
Is a pick up coil in a truck ? lol..I have always just heard it called a coil... :shruggy:
He is referring to the magnetic pick up coil in the distributor. :pity:

ACUDANUT

isn't easier just to buy a rebuilt distributor and be done with it ?

DadsCharger00

Thinking that's my best option.

1974dodgecharger

Spares for our cars are ballast, orange box, what else?

I need to replace my also........that coil.

DadsCharger00

Any recommendations on which distributor to run?

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: DadsCharger00 on October 18, 2013, 11:29:03 PM
Any recommendations on which distributor to run?

Firecore....firefighter is always here to help. 

Do u need to change her out?  I only ask since i Might do the same.......

brigond

Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

My other hobby is practicing the ancient art of CLICK! POW!

DadsCharger00

Thinking it's the best route to take at this point   :shruggy: now to find one at the right price

DadsCharger00

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/marafivaadel2.html

thinking about this kit for the car. seems like the best bang for the buck. thoughts?