News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the margin of error with belt alignement?

Started by Dino, October 16, 2013, 03:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I just put an aftermarket Denso alt on my car and if I push the back of the alt against the block, the belt lines up fine with the a/c compressor and water pump.  I would like to pull the alt forward a bit though to have a tiny bit more clearance in the back.  The belts still seem fine but I can see that they are not perfectly straight.  In fact, I think the alt is more forward than the stock alt in any position.  I don't want to do all this work only to find out it's going to throw the belts off so does anyone have any idea what I can get away with?  I am unable to start the car for quite some time to come.

Again I don't think I can pull it too far forward but it doesn't hurt to ask.  Let me know if you want pics of the setup and I'll go snap some.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cdr

because the alt belts are so long,with a/c, it can be a little off,but not much  :Twocents:

i just did mine

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dino

That's what I'm thinking.  Worst case scenario the belts do want to come off or wear unevenly.  If that happens, I'll just have to move something.  Seems to me that the alt and pump line up fine and I think that compressor (one like yours) sits back a tad more than the stock rv2 compressor.  I have it in the attic so I'm not going to break my neck getting it out but I may experiment with washers on the compressor if needed.

cdr

i had to shim things to line up,i used a straight edge to check the alignment. 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Pete in NH

Hi Dino,

A picture or two would help. Sometimes someones idea of a little misalignment turns out to be more than the bearings can deal with over a longer period of time. Most bearings really don't like to be side loaded.

fy469rtse

Dino, shims available to water pump, crank pulleys, worth doing then the headache of throwing a belt away from home of wearing something out prematurely,
I had to mine with gear drive moving everything out,
mancini or 440 source I got mine from , 

myk

Dino, guess keeping that AC is non-negotiable, huh...

Dino

Thanks guys, I'll get some pics tonight, didn't have the time last night.  Good to know I can shim this stuff easily. 

A/C has to stay, no way I'm driving this car in our humid summers anymore without.