News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

First cam swap questions.

Started by acelondon, November 03, 2013, 01:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acelondon

Hey everybody!

Quick question:

Can i drop a 340 cam in my 318 without changing anything else? I'll drop in a new chain while im in there.

Also, What all do i have to do to get the cam out?  Clearly, water pump, timing cover, distributor. But is there a bolt on the back of the block, or anything of the such, holding the cam in?

Thanks

XH29N0G

Wait to see if some others pipe in.  There are plenty with more expertise on this than me.  I swapped a cam in a 383 and you can see some of the issued I ran into here

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89879.msg1037144.html#msg1037144

Only a bolt in the front for mine.  There is a plug in the back.  I just looked at my copy of the factory service manual, and that has a reasonable description to follow.  But again, I suggest waiting for others with more experience to offer their advice.

:popcrn:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

acelondon

firefighter3931

Depending on which cam you decide to use ; there might be a need to install a different valve spring. Bigger cams with higher lift and more agressive lobes need increased pressure and must not go into coil bind.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

acelondon

It's a bone stock 340 cam repo by Comp.

firefighter3931

Quote from: acelondon on November 04, 2013, 03:22:24 PM
It's a bone stock 340 cam repo by Comp.

There's a big difference between a 318 2bbl cam and a 340 4bbl cam. I would check with Comp for a valvespring recommendation.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

acelondon

Considering the stock cam floats the valves around 4200 rpm, i think that's good advice! Thanks!