News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

body panels

Started by Evolution69, October 14, 2013, 12:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evolution69

Please advise about the following.

Do I

A) Get the body shop to fix the original panels, That have dents, scratches rust ect.

B) Just go order new panels from AMD/Year one (Any recommendations?)

C) Try and source OEM Parts.

I'm looking at

Both rear qouter panels

Both front fenders

Just the driver side section of floor pan (rest is good)

Trunk floor

Trunk deck lid

Rear tail light panal / lower valance

If you guys need detailed pics, I can take and post some pictures.

Thank you for you're time
Matching numbers 1968 Dodge Charger RT

"Because bad guys always drove Chargers" - Richard Hammond

JB400

Pix would give us a better assessment as to what condition your car is in. :yesnod:

As far as looking for NOS metal, that will be a wild goose chase and an expensive one at that.  Your best bet for replacement metal, would be to contact an AMD distributor (there's a couple on here) and get a quote.  If your original metal can be fixed with very little work, that would be your best option.

You might also try and locate other members in your country to see if they found someone there that carries AMD metal or if they had it imported.

bull

When I was getting ready to have a shop do my body work I 'assumed' they would need certain panels so I bought some of the stuff ahead of time. Turned out to be a waste of time and money because they were able to repair and use a good portion of what was already on the car.

Lesson learned: let the body shop determine what needs to be replaced and then buy it.

charger_fan_4ever

Keep in mind even fitting new panels will require a lot of work in some cases. Their 1/4's are not even close to straight.
That being said depending on how bad your original panels patching them may be the best route.

I have heard the front fenders are quite decent. I bought a lot of AMD metal, but not fenders as they dont make 70 fenders.

You should be able to find a good used decklid.
Doors i'd pick up rust free used ones
Fenders if the 68's are like 70s not much available used. Mostly rusted/beat up junk.

Evolution69

Thanks guys,

I'll get the car to some body shops and see what they say,

If I can fix the old panels that would be great, I mean i'm no expert but me looking at the panels, Would of thought it would be easier to to replace, I see it 50/50, They have potential, but on the other hand, they look busted up with some accident damage to the rear of the car
:cheers:
Matching numbers 1968 Dodge Charger RT

"Because bad guys always drove Chargers" - Richard Hammond