News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pulling/installing engine in 66...

Started by Dodgerdallas, October 13, 2013, 02:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgerdallas

Pulling out poly/Trans this weekend and need to know before I get started can I pull the 2 out as a unit-and also can I get 440/4sp in as one too? The shop manual says disconnect and remove Trans before extracting motor,is that just the easiest or the only way? I have nice cherry picker and angle hookup for engine but it looks like its gonna be a job.
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

69wannabe

I always separate them since these engines and trannys are so heavy!! Can be a bit hard to handle as a whole unit!! Its not that bad to pull them separately and put them back in separately and much safer too!! :icon_smile_cool:

nvrbdn

yes, it can be done. but the problem with putting them in together is the length, then pushing down on the tail shaft of the transmission to get it heading into the tunnel. then as you come down with the engine, having someone under the car directing the tail shaft while lining up the motor mounts. i used to do ferds that way because they had to line up the torque converter with the fly wheel perfectly as they slid together making sure the drain was lined up with the hole in the fly wheel. on dodge you bolt em up and then spin the converter to line the holes up. much better, so i drop the engine by itself.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Cooter

Better make sure your engine hoist (cherry picker) doesn't tip forward if you try to pull both together.
Btw did you know the poly weighs within a few pounds of that 440?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

RIDGERACER383

Word of advice.pull the radiator before you pull the engine so you don't mess it up plus more room.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

Dodgerdallas

Yes Ive read about the weight of that poly,amazing on an engine that large only 230 HP but the torque seems to pull it around fine just no power. I've already connected the 4sp,ill wake my neighbor up and have him help me work it in as a unit-still have to cut out that tunnel for the shifter.
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

Cooter

Quote from: Dodgerdallas on October 16, 2013, 04:46:54 AM
Yes Ive read about the weight of that poly,amazing on an engine that large only 230 HP

Think that's bad, you should see the early hemi weights to power ratios.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bakerhillpins

I have always wondered if it wasn't just easier to do it like the factory..  you put a roller under the K frame/trans and disconnect then use the picker or whatever to lift the body up?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.