News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Axle

Started by Yellow Charger, October 13, 2013, 10:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellow Charger

My 1968 Axle is bent in the middle.  A firm can make a new axle but it will not be the bottle type that Chrysler made back in those years.  I can not find any firm the makes/sells the original bottle type axle.  Is it OK to install a new axle without the bottle neck?  Will I lose points at a car show?

bakerhillpins

68 Chargers shared lots of components with other Chrysler cars of the years (B-Bodies) so I would think that you should easily be able to source a second hand part which would probably be cheaper, would work just fine, and wouldn't be a question if you were having the car judged.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

fy469rtse

check around , I have seen old guys press these straight , have seen one done it is only possible away from the critical area's , like spline and the wheel bearing end, just a thought
the guy was using reference detail with Chrysler corp on top, axle was spun in a lathe several times during process, I guess this was to check straightness and ? balance.

John_Kunkel

Bottle type ??? Bottle neck ????? (assume 8 3/4") I would like to know how it was determined that it was bent without complete disassembly.

Just about any housing can be straightened by pressing or "heat and shrink". I prefer the latter.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dmichels

I bet he is talking about the driveshaft.
You can get the original type tube but it is expensive. I can turn you on to a guy if you need it
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10