News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar performance air cleaner...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, October 11, 2013, 12:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

Does not fit in my car WTF? It's a 383 and i can't close my hood the air filter is to tall. 

I saw it on other people's cars and they fit fine i using a mopar 4150 manifold with a Holley 750 dp and she is too tall.

Hard Charger

do you have a carb spacer installed??

War wagon

You need to get a drop base for your setup to work. The bottom pans come in different heights that effectively drop the air cleaner around the carb.
I run a 2" drop on my k&n and my father runs a 4" drop on his belvedere
You should be able to find them at summit, jegs etc
Hope that helps

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: War wagon on October 11, 2013, 07:52:32 PM
You need to get a drop base for your setup to work. The bottom pans come in different heights that effectively drop the air cleaner around the carb.
Hope that helps

No spacer, thx for that info wagon...im gonna look.

Kern Dog

Quote from: War wagon on October 11, 2013, 07:52:32 PM
Hope that helps

More accurately, the Mopar Performance cast aluminum air cleaner assembly will clear stock hoods, but not with many intakes. I had to have a dropped base welded into the outer ring of my Mopar Performance unit. I have a 440 with the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and NO spacer.

1974dodgecharger

i bought a fram air filter that almost fits the round air housing just a tad big around, but will work...will take pics and I can now close my hood, barely, but it works for now until I can fund a drop base.  After dropping 80 bucks on the mopar air cleaner kit and then trying to find a drop base for 70 bucks gets expensive.

XH29N0G

I wish I had an answer.  I just did a quick search.  You might want to see if anyone has been successful with a 13" (Ford?) drop base air cleaner.  I see them on Summit. 

Still $$ but maybe you could find one cheap or to try.

I would think someone must have done this before with the type you have.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....