News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

interior paint?

Started by resq302, August 28, 2013, 09:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

What is everyone using for interior paint now a days?  I went to my local auto paint supplier and he told me that he could no longer get the interior paint I needed for painting the metal dash frame or the spray dye I needed to dye the lower dash pad due to fading.  Im sure that there must be someone out there who still sells this stuff?  I need the saddle tan color for our GTX.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

sanders7981

SEM?  That is what my local NAPA store has, but they can custom mix any color I need for interior. 

resq302

SEM is what we picked up in the spray cans but a test spray did not match the parts we had, nor the steel part of the dash.  Again, I'm still shocked that they could not mix it up.  Maybe it has something to do with one of the tints? :shruggy:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Lord Warlock

SEM has a very large collection of colors, don't rely on what they have available in the stores I tried several versions of tan and brown for my dash, till i found the right color shade.  SEM is great for dyeing interior pieces, can't say what to use to paint metal parts.  I'm sure someone here could probably provide a paint code  to have a custom mix done.  The interior door frames weren't always the same color as the car, mine have a bronze color on the interior doors, and its not uniform, there are spots that didn't get the color.   

A good paint shop can mix up any color you need, may need a better shop.  We have two shops here in town I'll use, one is far better than the other is, but is almost 20 miles away, the other is half that distance, if i need anything more than a quart, i'll go to the preferred shop...getting there before noon on saturdays is always a challenge. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

resq302

This paint shop used to be able to match anything as they got us a very close match for the interior door frame paint recently.  I guess that the interior stuff is on the out?   :shruggy:  Worse comes to worse, Im sure there is another place like Performance Car Graphics or someone else who has it.  I know Dad got some interior paint from Herbs and it is a dead match for the plastic on the seat hinge covers and is pretty close to the kick panels but not the saddle color of the console and other dash stuff.  I also don't want to paint everyone "one color" as that is not how it came originally.  The factory stuff has slight shade differences and also was made by more than one vendor so even that in itself would have created a slight difference in color.
Brian

Lord Warlock

Glad to hear someone confirm the non matching interior pieces, my upper door panels were always a different shade of tan than the door panels themselves, when first got the car, the interior was in great shape except one split in the drivers seat, and the door panels were tan, but the upper door panel pieces looked like they had a little green mixed in the color, still looked tan but were a different shade of tan.  When i put the new interior in, with new door panels,  I chose to use the same color as the dash pad for the upper door panels in front and in back (SEM bluebird brown) and have to say that i much prefer the two tone look, even if it isn't stock.  My car will never be a show queen, it will attend local meets only and rarely if ever attend a national event...will have to retire first before i can get time off when i want it.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

sanders7981

I recall reading somewhere that there was a color called bluebird from SEM that was used for old interior schools buses.  It's a saddle color, and some guys used it in their General Lee replicas claiming it was a near perfect match.  May be worth a shot. 

resq302

The General Lee was more of a beige or a light tan and the saddle tan which was more of a natural leather color.  We need the latter.
Brian

sanders7981

Here it is.... Says more of a brown color, but the guys over at cglfc.com say its a near perfect match to factory saddle color.

http://www.levineautoparts.com/sembluebbrow.html

Link to thread discussing it.
http://www.cglfc.com/wforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12728&p=298773&hilit=Bluebird#p298773

resq302

Hard to tell but that might be closer to the color of the metal dash frame instead of the vinyl padding.  I was able to call up Performance Car Graphics and after talking to David, I was able to get the exact shade of saddle for the dash padding and another slightly different exact color for the metal dash frame.  So all I would need to do is spray and install! :2thumbs:
Brian

Mike DC

Bluebird matches the factory dashboard area on some 69 Saddle Tan cars. 

Other cars, depending on the plant, build date, etc, had dash areas not so dark.  Closer to the primary Saddle shade.

resq302

great, just what I needed.  Another curveball thrown into the equation!  lol.   Here is the pic of the interior.  Dash frame is the same color as the steering column.  Notice the lower dash pad compared to the upper dash pad color!  Someone got a little DOH tan happy! 
Brian

Lord Warlock

the bluebird brown was a match for the dash pad and dash pieces, but it doesn't match the saddle door panels.  Maybe i can take a pic or two this weekend to show what it looks like now.  You can tell how different the shade is when you see the two tone look the uppers look like now.  The armrests are a lighter shade than the brown dash pad was. 

266mopars

I used some duplicolor vinyl paint on my armrests and sunvisors turned out very well.I think it was 7.99 a can it went on a little uneven but smoothed out while drying.The end result was great still looks perfect after 2 years.I dont know if they have the color you need but its worth checking into