News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dropping rear axle - what order do I go in!!

Started by Canadian1968, October 09, 2013, 09:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

I need to drop my entire rear axle / shocks and leaf springs . What order do I remove parts in .

Obviously need to disconnect brake lines and u joint
With a jack under the diff. I can remove the shocks?? Loosen the u bolts Then disconnect leaf spring at rear of car , and lower allowed axle to drop down and pull out the back??

Suggestions?

JB400

Pull the drive shaft, brake line( there's only one connection that needs to be disconnected to remove the axle), parking brake, shocks, then the leaf springs from the front and back.  Everything should come out.  I'd leave the springs connected to the axle until the whole assembly is out.

I would put a jack under the center of the axle to take some pressure off the shocks until they're disconnected.  If you have an axle dolly, then I'd probably disconnect the rear end from the springs while everything is still mounted under the car.

flyinlow

Soak everything with rust buster the day before.

Support car with lift or jack stands , remove driveshaft, parking brake cables, brake hose, loosen shackle bolts, loosen front hanger bolts, support axle with floor jack, remove shocks, remove shackle, and hanger bolts, lower axle /springs to ground.  weighs about 250#

b5blue

With the rims/tires on you can roll the entire assembly away from the car.  :2thumbs:

Canadian1968

Alright pretty much what I thought . Not that difficult just heavy !!

kab69440

Don't lift the car too high. Leave the tires touching the ground, but have the springs unloaded.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."