News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Material under foam ?

Started by fy469rtse, October 13, 2013, 04:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fy469rtse

About to do my seat covers ,
I wa looking at the thread of the charger in France , he's done his covers himself, but looking at his photos, there's a material that looks like its made or similar to potatoe sack material, any one know the name of this and who supply's this ,
any members in Australia can pipe in, some one told me the name of it could jute,
will post photos soon on my thread, have taken my seats apart and blasted them , single coat black urethane, welded up some frame cracks  and worn bits to the hinges

b5blue

Ghoste

It helps the seat cover slide over the foam and makes it muuuuuuch easier to stretch it to fit.  

b5blue

Burlap rests between the steel springs and the foam. It's visible from the underside of seat bottoms and rear seat back. 

b5blue

twodko

Lay your new upholstery out in the sun to warm and soften it up. I've also watched guys slip a kitchen size plastic trash bag over the foam. This makes slipping the new upholstery over the foam a breeze.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Ghoste

Quote from: b5blue on October 13, 2013, 10:18:29 AM
Burlap rests between the steel springs and the foam. It's visible from the underside of seat bottoms and rear seat back. 

Right, I'm thinking of different stuff.  That burlap I think is just to keep the foam from squeezing through the springs?

A383Wing

Quote from: Ghoste on October 13, 2013, 05:53:02 PM
Quote from: b5blue on October 13, 2013, 10:18:29 AM

Right, I'm thinking of different stuff.  That burlap I think is just to keep the foam from squeezing through the springs?

yes..it's not used between the foam and the new seat covers...only on the bottom & the back side

fy469rtse

Burlap , got it thanks guy's
lots of tips also for the install , what was it you were thinking of Ghoste , all advise welcome ,
if there is plastic over the foam to help covers go on , wouldn't it be noisy

Ghoste

The shop where I used to work would place a sheet of some kind to let it slip but easier than that, when I did my seat covers I just sprayed some silicone on the foam and that helped.

john108

I read a post someplace where between the burlap and the springs, they put a tight knit carpet to keep the springs from digging into the foam.  I guess they felt that the burlap was not adequate.

twodko

You'd never hear a plastic bag under the seat upholstery.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!