News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

? Which flex plate

Started by fy469rtse, April 16, 2013, 04:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fy469rtse

Just about to install beefed up 727 behind 505 stroker , had flex plate sfi plate , bolt circle to small, have to buy another, running ? 11inch convertor 3000 stall , stock size converter rebuilt internals etc anti ballooning plate, which flex plate do you recommend, don't want purchase the wrong thing again, thanks as always to helpful members on this site,  Geoff

John_Kunkel

There are two "stock" sized converters; the factory 11 3/4" (12") converter has an 11 1/8" bolt circle, the 10 3/4" (11") has a 10" bolt circle. Some SFI flexplates have both bolt patterns.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

fy469rtse

Quote from: John_Kunkel on April 16, 2013, 03:18:33 PM

There are two "stock" sized converters; the factory 11 3/4" (12") converter has an 11 1/8" bolt circle, the 10 3/4" (11") has a 10" bolt circle. Some SFI flexplates have both bolt patterns.
thanks , they refer To them differently over here, valiant guys, here a big block is a 360 10 inch converter

pandamarie

I bought the mopar sfi rated 11" for my 70 challenger 440 6 pack and broke the ears off in 2 years with street tires.
Just put on the round B&M it is a lot thicker with more metal around the bolt holt holes.

justcruisin

Good idea to use the 7/16 bolt pads also.

mopar0166

sgt72charger

not to thread jack you but is there a proper way i should be installing the flex plate and tranny i just bought the hardware from manchinni.

flexplate to crank then bolt how about the torque converter ? is there a certain torque these bolts need to be at?

sorry again to thread jack ive just been searching around this is my first build thanks.
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

fy469rtse

Hi new member , and welcome , factory manual says 40 to 50 foot pound , make sure flex plate on the right way, it sits on so it recesses over crank and so torque convertor sits closer to back of engine, will check the manual for torque convertor bolts to flex plate tonight and come back to you ,but I think similar torque setting.
does the above make sense ?

sgt72charger

that makes sense
where and how it sits but if i bolt the flex plate to the crank how can i then bolt the torque converter to the flex plate ?
sorry for the dumb questions... again this is my first time  well the first time ive ever touched a automatic transmission
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

fy469rtse

first align your flex plate up against torque convertor match the bolt holes, your will quickly notice that there is a odd bolt pattern, mark it so you can line them up in the car, I have always put a dab of paint on torque convertor and flexplate, 
put your flex plate on  torque it in place, torque convertor goes in with auto , search the threads or stories on here , very important that its rotated and seated all the way in, once torque convertor in, put a steel rule across face the part edge where it meets the engine block, bolt hole or face of bolt block on torque convertor should be roughly about 20 mm or just under an inch back from this, do follow so far , once you transmission in you will see the bottom is uncovered so you can rotate engine by hand and put the bolts in one by one , then a cover goes over that opening, you will understand how important it was to mark the bolt pattern line up when you are under there trying to line up everything   

sgt72charger

exactly what i was looking for
thanks you. some times I need directions broken down barney style...
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

fy469rtse

your welcome ,
hope it goes together ok, if you get stuck , don't get frustrated , just turn your computer on and post a new thread most guy's will see it straight away,
you will get some help in no time , always someone on here