News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Time for an introduction.... lol

Started by War wagon, October 10, 2013, 09:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Nice....i see lots of improvements  :scope:

-Performer RPM intake
-Holley double pumper carb ?
-K&N flo-thru filter
-New headers ?
-MSD distributor/wires
-Denso alternator
-Upgraded cooling system with electric fans
-Dana with CalTracs/Rancho's
-Pistolgrip shifter

Just wondering if you went inside the 440 ? The cam we installed is an Engle K54 fast rate grind with ~.470 valve lift on a 112* LSA. That engine was low on static compression so we had to keep the duration modest due to the stock converter and 3.23 gears. It was built as a cruiser. I was after Dave to replace the Holley 600 vac carb because it was too small even for a mild 440.

That's about all i can remember....like i said it was several years ago and i've wrenched on plenty since then.  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

War wagon

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 10, 2013, 03:42:14 PM
That Belvedere looks serious.....need some details on that one !  :icon_smile_big:

Engine bay on the Arrow looks like I remember it....allthough a little dirty  :P

Ron
That Belvedere is as serious as a heart attack :D
I know first hand cause I've had the pleasure of running it down the strip myself quite a few times :angel: :eek2:
Best pass to date is 10.86@125mph but that should drop by ALOT come spring..... :cheers:
Its a FULL INTERIOR street car that weights 4200lbs with my dad on board :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
Dad is a class A mechanic and a millwright and built that car himself except paint :2thumbs:

A few specs on the belvedere's setup from the last few years, since I know you'll ask LOL

496 cu in (hughes kit)
13.2 comp
eddy rpm heads wet ported by hughes :2thumbs:
nasty cam in the 700's lmao
1050 dominator
5500 rpm stall
dana 4:10's

That's the main goodies lol, although things will be a lot different come spring MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :yesnod:

firefighter3931

Nice....but it's a lightweight compared to my Black Pig  :lol: Last time across the scales it came in at 4250 with me in the seat.  :P  I've had her on a diet so hopefully she'll be under 4000 raceweight.  :scratchchin:

Mine's a pump gas build, solid roller, Indy heads etc...and it ran about the same as your pop's car ; 10.90's at 124. I've been fighting fuel delivery and traction problems so the performance is off significantly from where it should be. Hopefully the new fuel system will fix things up. Gonna try and get out for a test and tune at the end of the month...weather permitting  :angel:

Cool car....luv them Belvedere's  :bow:

Ron

A couple of pics of the Pig below  :icon_smile_big:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

War wagon

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 10, 2013, 07:30:13 PM
Nice....i see lots of improvements  :scope:

-Performer RPM intake
-Holley double pumper carb ?
-K&N flo-thru filter
-New headers ?
-MSD distributor/wires
-Denso alternator
-Upgraded cooling system with electric fans
-Dana with CalTracs/Rancho's
-Pistolgrip shifter

Just wondering if you went inside the 440 ? The cam we installed is an Engle K54 fast rate grind with ~.470 valve lift on a 112* LSA. That engine was low on static compression so we had to keep the duration modest due to the stock converter and 3.23 gears. It was built as a cruiser. I was after Dave to replace the Holley 600 vac carb because it was too small even for a mild 440.

That's about all i can remember....like i said it was several years ago and i've wrenched on plenty since then.  :lol:

Ron

Hey Ron,

Buying a turn key restored car you wouldn't think I'd been in that motor yet. Unfortunately I have :'(
First real road trip last summer I went to grand bend for a car show at the strip. Made it there fine, but blew a head gasket on start up getting ready to leave the show
Limped it home and tore into things....
Heads were sent to active engines for complete rebuild. Had I known then what I know now, I would not have bothered and just bought some aluminum heads. Cost of rebuilding mine was ridiculous IMHO
They called me half way thru the refurb too inform me the heads had CHEVY valve springs in them :brickwall: why?!?! Wish I could answer that one....
Pistons are so far down the hole I'll be lucky to have bout 8:1 comp in this 69 hp motor
Thankfully the bottom end held together once the heads came back and has good oil pressure

Only finished all my upgrades this year 7wks ago, BUT..... In those 7wks I managed to rack up an impressive 2700 MILES :cheers:

The motor only had to survive this summer, it's coming out this winter and being replaced with something proven :icon_smile_wink:
Drivetrain is otherwise done and ready for serious abuse

Some of my mechanical changes thus far......
New shackles, cal tracs, built Dana 60 with 35 spine axles, Detroit locker, 3:73's, wildwood disc brakes (rear), welded in frame connectors, built driveshaft sfi approved, driveshaft loop, carbon fibre scattershield, sfi flex plate, built 727 trans with deep pan, reverse valve body, bolt in sprag, 4200 stall, hurst pistol grip quarter stick, auto meter monster tach, mech oil pressure, temp, volt gauges, bee cool rad with elec fans, alt upgrade, Holley 850 ultra HP, eddy rpm manifold (ported), msd 6al2, msd billet distributor, k&n airfilter, horn switch, horn relay, TTI headers, TTI x pipe and full 3" exhaust, odometer cable, parking brake cables

Some cosmetics I've changed so far.......
Reproduction steering wheel, repro wood grain dash kit, repro OE gauges, American racing T1R rims with bfg radials, new int window cranks

Prolly a lot more I can't recall ATM lol
I do have a borgenson steering box upgrade which will go on this winter whilst he engine is out

War wagon

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 10, 2013, 08:11:32 PM
Nice....but it's a lightweight compared to my Black Pig  :lol: Last time across the scales it came in at 4250 with me in the seat.  :P  I've had her on a diet so hopefully she'll be under 4000 raceweight.  :scratchchin:

Mine's a pump gas build, solid roller, Indy heads etc...and it ran about the same as your pop's car ; 10.90's at 124. I've been fighting fuel delivery and traction problems so the performance is off significantly from where it should be. Hopefully the new fuel system will fix things up. Gonna try and get out for a test and tune at the end of the month...weather permitting  :angel:

Cool car....luv them Belvedere's  :bow:

Ron

A couple of pics of the Pig below  :icon_smile_big:

Awesome ride :2thumbs:
I bought my dad a new short block and heads this summer and he is assembling it as I type lol
My logic was, I'm going to spend same kind of money on something for the charger..... But I want it too remain street able . For the same money I could buy something insane for dad and use some of his take offs for my new motor.

So come spring my dad will be running a 572 short block from muscle motors with indy 1 heads that have been cnc'd
And my Charger will have a 67 HP block with dads ported eddy heads
Dad should be in the nines come spring, he has been told motor should make in excess of 900hp
The Charger should be running mid 11's with brake lights ;)

firefighter3931

Wow, you been busy  :icon_smile_big:

Nice upgrades.... planning for more power i'm sure  ;)

Not sure what's up with the valvesprings ? I gave the cam specs to the machine shop that assembled those heads. I sure wasn't impressed with them after what happened to the shortblock. Long story short ; they messed up on a few of the cylinders and the pistons were too tight and scored the bores. Engines Extra...stay far away  :eek2: The shortblock was rebuilt with 2 new pistons (different shop in the GTA) and the bore clearances were properly set on the second go around. Unfortunately as you discovered the pistons are waaay down there so that limited cam selection.  :yesnod:

Ya, the nice new aluminum head offerings have made factory castings obsolete.  :coolgleamA:

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: War wagon on October 10, 2013, 08:46:46 PM

I bought my dad a new short block and heads this summer and he is assembling it as I type lol
My logic was, I'm going to spend same kind of money on something for the charger..... But I want it too remain street able . For the same money I could buy something insane for dad and use some of his take offs for my new motor.

So come spring my dad will be running a 572 short block from muscle motors with indy 1 heads that have been cnc'd
Dad should be in the nines come spring, he has been told motor should make in excess of 900hp

Thanks....the Black Pig is an ongoing project.

The 572 is a nice combo....that's what i have in mine currently.  :icon_smile_big: I sometimes wish i'd gone with the aluminum block because the World cast iron piece is very heavy....about double what the aluminum block weighs (300lbs vs 150lbs) and that extra weight off the nose would really help with weight transfer. I did relocate the battery and delete the power steering so it's 100lbs lighter on the nose...which will help  :2thumbs:

Your Dad is really gonna luv the torque of that big cube monster  :2thumbs:

When i had the 446 in mine with Eddy heads it made 535hp/540tq and ran 11.60's at 116 and the car was 4150lb raceweight. You should be in the same ballpark with your car i would think.  ;)

Ron

War wagon

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 10, 2013, 09:04:33 PM
Quote from: War wagon on October 10, 2013, 08:46:46 PM

Thanks....the Black Pig is an ongoing project.

The 572 is a nice combo....that's what i have in mine currently.  :icon_smile_big: I sometimes wish i'd gone with the aluminum block because the World cast iron piece is very heavy....about double what the aluminum block weighs (300lbs vs 150lbs) and that extra weight off the nose would really help with weight transfer. I did relocate the battery and delete the power steering so it's 100lbs lighter on the nose...which will help  :2thumbs:

Your Dad is really gonna luv the torque of that big cube monster  :2thumbs:

When i had the 446 in mine with Eddy heads it made 535hp/540tq and ran 11.60's at 116 and the car was 4150lb raceweight. You should be in the same ballpark with your car i would think.  ;)

Ron

From everything I've read and heard from builders they have issues with the aluminum blocks dropping sleeves. That's why I went with the steel for dad's build.
He has the battery in the trunk, standard steering and standard brakes no power assist. Also runs a gear drive instead of timing chain

11.6 in a Charger using a 446 motor is Very respectable IMHO , they are BIG cars

Mine will have either a 446 or a 496 next season, either way will be back to respectable and acceptable power levels for a dodge LOL

firefighter3931

Thanks Chris, the old 446 ran good for a mild pump gas build and performed very well for what it was.  :yesnod:

If you can swing it do the 4.15 stroke build.....more torque is better with these heavy cars.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron