News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hot spots in history

Started by F8-4life, October 08, 2013, 07:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F8-4life

This may or may not be an interesting thread?
Spanning the  whole automotive era of the 20th century, what are the hot spots or "good " years for your automotive tastes?
All makes, all models:

I like 1932
I like 1940
1955-1960 was very special
1968-1972 Of course, Hell yea!

That is the simplified version, for me there is still alot of good before/between/ & after but those years sum it up for me.

JB400

I like the 30's.  Each year, each car had a personality.  Style was the name of the game.  It was about individuality.

Also, I like the late 60's.  It was all about horsepower and bright colors.

ws23rt

There are hot spots that come and go as the generation involved moves forward. But I think the 50s-60s have a special place in history because of the changes made each year that made looking forward to the next latest and greatest style.
This was a time before I was of driving age but I recall being able to identify most cars by model make and year with just a small part of the car needed for the clues.

The late sixties to mid seventies were similar but now I was a driver and how the car looked became less important. (I like sleepers). :icon_smile_big:
Muscle cars were great fun but some would spend all their money on a look and be slack on performance. (like wearing the car as opposed to driving it)

I do get it--It is just not me--  Like spending megabucks on a big lifted truck and never going off the road :shruggy:

For me the hot spot was the late sixties.  Room to move on most roads and fun fast cars.

RallyeMike

1957 was the pinnacle of across the board automotive art in perfection.

1967-1970 was a broader-band hot spot.

I'm personally partial to most 1953 models, though they don't eclipse the first two above.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 08, 2013, 07:30:56 PM
  Style was the name of the game.  It was about individuality.

Which is sorely lacking now. I can't tell one car from another anymore. Just take our Holden Monaro for example, with the exception of it being a two door, the body is the same as the most basic Commodore and it's all one colour.......no stripes. But when I first came out in the '60's it stood out like a sore thumb, you could see it coming a mile away. That was individuality.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Mid 1980s, performance was making a comeback.

mid-late 2000s, performance horsepower race, game-on

Back N Black

I think early to mid 60's when the Mustang and GTO made its debut. The Plymouth Barracuda was Chrysler's answer to the Ford's Mustang.

maxwellwedge

Technically - The Barracuda was out a little earlier than the Mustang........but we all know which one really took off.. :lol:

myk

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on October 08, 2013, 09:56:54 PM
Mid 1980s, performance was making a comeback.

mid-late 2000s, performance horsepower race, game-on

Agreed, and I always think about the mid to late 90's when I was growing up; when the the LS1 debuted in the F bodies and the Cobra got 300 'horse I saw that power was back in style... 

F8-4life

Couple more thoughts...

I think in 1957-61 chrysler forward look products had gm beat during the same years. Every one is always 55-57 chevy! That definatly gets old.
Although 1959-1960 chevrolets have always been a great passion of mine, my favorite chevys.
Ford was not even in the picture really, except 57 fords look pretty good to me.
Back then ford was more conservative & pitching safety & not so much on fins & extravagant styling...lame.

Late 1950's was a high-point for interiors & dashboards for sure.

The years between the fins & muscle cars were good to but only ok in comparison to the era's they fell between.
I guess this might just be '62 & 63, as 64 saw the intro to "early" muscle cars.

Mike DC

Styling in 1961-62 = FAIL

All brands, all models, throughout Detroit.   

F8-4life

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 10, 2013, 01:56:45 AM

Styling in 1961-62 = FAIL

All brands, all models, throughout Detroit.   

Agreed!

Dino

30's, 40's and much of 50's cars are my favorites.  Early 60's are bad bad bad.  Late 60's much better but apart from the muscle cars, not all that exciting either.  70's and 80's are generally horrible with few exceptions.  Past that, nothing worth mentioning. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

41husk

I have to say 1970 is my all time favorite year.  Late 69 started it off with the Charger Daytona and continued into 70 with the RR Superbird.  The introduction of the E body, including AAR, TA and convertible models.  The high impact colors and cartoon characters added excitement to that model year.  All Models had bolder graphics, go wings, door scoops, Shakers, air grabber and hood scoops.  :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Patronus

I will step out and say the current 2013-14 models. Blends of carbon fiber, plastics, and other technologies both look better, are safer, and are far superior in all performance catagories. If your going to take an automobile for what it's worth, a model of stylish transportation, then line up a '32 Ford and a '14 GTR. I think you'll agree, 90% will gravitate towards the Nissan. The other 10% forgot what we were talking about.  :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

41husk

The thread says for your automotive taste, so there is no right answer it is opinion.  I own a 09 SRT8 Challenger and prefer driving my old non responsive uncomfortable cars because of the styling.  I do like the new Challenger but most new cars look to much alike in my opinion.  It is very cool and fun to drive, but it is a different cool.  again just  :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up