News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlight and Brake Lights won't work "HELP"

Started by PURTBOY, March 02, 2006, 08:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PURTBOY

Hello, i am having a problem with my headlights and breaklights! the headlights were working, as was the brake lights, and now neither will work! I checked the fuses, and found nothing blown! the parking lights will light up the tailights, and markers, but when you flip the lights on nothing! also you hit the brake pedal and no brakelights! what can be the issue? any help and advice will be appreciated!!!

thanks,
Brian

71_deputy

1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

PURTBOY

I am sorry, it is a 68 charger!!anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

charger Downunder

Have you touched or palyed with anything electrical lately,
Try this a lot of electrical problems are caused by this their is two electrical connectors along the steering column
after yeas of moisture build up they dont conect properly disconect them both clean them and put them back together plus check out the ends of the connecteor for signs of corrosion.
I know you can spend days chasing for the problem replacing everything and still not get it fixed yet when you trace it down it all seems so simple i hope the above helps
Steve
[/quote]

67RedCharger

Brian,  I would like to help you with your problem, but I don't have a wiring diagram for a 68 Charger.  You will need a wiring diagram to do a proper diagnosis.  You sure don't guess when it comes to working on electrical malfunctions on ANY car.  Those batteries will put out a good 60 amps of current if you get across the terminals in a way to find out.  Enough to generate 3,600 watts of heat, and that is smoking current.  When you get the wiring diagram, I hope you know how to use an analog meter to do some measurements.  You can also use a light probe, and start at the headlight switch or the dimmer switch and turn on the headlight switch and see where it takes you, while following the wiring diagram.  The break lights comes through the turn signal switch.  You are getting into an area that will have you scratching your head and hiney.  Just use patience and see if you can get someone to help if you run into trouble.  If you are not famaliar with reading wiring diagrams, you have three strikes against you at the get go.  Good Luck!

~ Don ~
Original Owner "Ole Red" 1967 Red Dodge Charger

71_deputy

sounds like two different problems.

headlights- check the dimmer switch on the floor- corroded or bad.

brake lights- check the brake light switch- pink should have 12 volts- when you press the petal- 12 volts out on the white- this then goes to the turn signal switch

here is  some diagrams

John Mac
1967 Charger 440/auto
2000 1500 Ram Van

purple70rt

brake lights run through your turn signal switch, let me know if you need one.

RAWPWR

check the pin  looking switch on the steering column where the brake pedal swing arm hits it. If it gets pushed out, the brake lights will not come on.
68 R/T Charger 440<br />00 Dakota

RAWPWR

68 R/T Charger 440<br />00 Dakota

71_deputy

1967 Charger 440/auto
2000 1500 Ram Van

PURTBOY

Quote from: RAWPWR on March 25, 2006, 12:48:47 PM
well did you get it corrected?

well i have not as of yet, i am still monkeying with it! i am going to work on it again on saturday and see what i can figure out! I appreciate everyones ides and help!!!  :yesnod:

my69

Quote from: 71_deputy on March 05, 2006, 10:56:25 AM
sounds like two different problems.

headlights- check the dimmer switch on the floor- corroded or bad.

brake lights- check the brake light switch- pink should have 12 volts- when you press the petal- 12 volts out on the white- this then goes to the turn signal switch

here is  some diagrams

John Mac

I think deputy has it narrowed down with the head light delema.  Those dimmer switches are little touch y  after 30plus years corrosion would cause a problem.

I know on my old '64 cheby pickup I had major problems with my head lights  :rant: I ended up finding me a "new" connector for the dimmer switch and getting a new dimmer switch as well :rotz:

ground is another issue too. :flame: