News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 B-body steering wheel disassembly

Started by hemi68charger, October 08, 2013, 07:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang,

I was curious on the removal of the bear housing on the steering wheel for a '70 B-body, do you HAVE to have the special tool as mentioned in the FSM? I am attempting to replace the worn out ignition switch in the column. I don't want to start prying if I'll not get anywhere....

Thanks in advance.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

b5blue

Got a pic and/or part number? Seems I recall buying one special tool but didn't need it, my 70's just came apart easy....but I know my column has been apart a few times before I got it.  :scratchchin:

Orange Bird

From where you are in the pic take some fine emery paper and remove any rust from the shaft. Remove the spring clip. You may need a urethane hammer to tap the side housing and lightly tap the center shaft. don't hit shaft hard as you don't want to shroom the top or compress the shaft. WD may help but rust ring needs removed all the way to the bearing. It may take some time but it will go with a few rounds of back and forth. As you are tapping on the side housing pull on it at the same time. Same with the tapping of the shaft.

Next you will need to remove the toothed cover steering wheel lock. Lift the band to expose the roll pin, tap lightly to drive out or sometimes I squeeze it out using a Channel lock plier with an old ujoint cap on one side and a smaller bolt to "push" it out a little at a time. You don't want to bang it out.

I have pics if you want of what you need removed to access your switch if you want.
Monster Garage Montra - If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?

Leave the little people alone!

b5blue

You looking for this? (It's still covered in cosmoline.)

Orange Bird

That is the best tool to use especially on stubborn collars
Monster Garage Montra - If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?

Leave the little people alone!

hemi68charger

Quote from: b5blue on October 29, 2013, 06:31:05 PM
You looking for this? (It's still covered in cosmoline.)

Tada !!!  Where can I get one of those? Looks like what I need for a stubborn-been-on-there-for-44-years collar...........
Troy

hemi68charger

Hello All,
With the help of Neal, I was able to remove the bearing housing without any problem. Now, can the locking gear be removed from the column to gain access to the ignition switch or do I need to remove the complete column? I don't recall doing that a decade ago when I swapped out a switch in another '70 Superbee...

Cheers,

Troy

b5blue