News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cuda kens computer crashed

Started by rt green, October 01, 2013, 04:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rt green

like it says- his computer crashed and he wanted to let you guys know whats up.   hope he gets it fixed soon.   rt green
third string oil changer

tan top

:icon_smile_blackeye:  oh right , I know the feeling  mine blew up few months back , no fixing that time  , had to get a  new one with windows 8 , still  getting use to it , took me 10 years to figure out the last one  :lol: :icon_smile_blackeye:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

JB400

That does suck :brickwall:  Had to step up to Windows 8 myself.  I'd rather downgrade back to 7 personally.  No Office with Windows 8 unless you pay $100 a yr. for it. :flame:

tan top

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 01, 2013, 05:38:31 PM
That does suck :brickwall:  Had to step up to Windows 8 myself.  I'd rather downgrade back to 7 personally.  No Office with Windows 8 unless you pay $100 a yr. for it. :flame:

never knew there was a windows 7 even till recently  , the computer  that  blew up was windows 96 or XP I think  :-\   just went into shop & said  want a computer simple to use  , like that one that blew up  :lol:  funny thing about it , the computer shop assistant was prolly 10 years old when I bought my last one & never knew anything about the one that I was replacing  :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Chargerguy74

I seem to recall this happening to him once on the old site too. Pretty sure that one threw a rod if my memory serves me correct.

I was lucky to be able to purchase Microsoft office through work for $11.00. It blew my mind that they wanted $100/year otherwise....PER YEAR?!?!?!
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

hatersaurusrex

FYI, full MS Office doesn't come with any version of Windows.  Some OEM's stick it on there (usually on business or student machines) and others leave it off to keep the price low.   But it's not a feture or add-on of Windows, it's a standalone product.

You can still put Office on Windows 8 without paying yearly, just buy a retail copy.   The $100/year mess is for the new 'Office 365' option.    You can just delete that crap and buy a retail copy of Office and keep moving.  Office home and student edition is usually 100-some odd dollars and it's yours for as long as you can keep up with the license key.

[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Lord Warlock

Glad I upgraded my system when I did, and loaded windows 7 before 8 became the default.  Don't care for 8 myself.  Had to buy a new laptop a few months back and got one with windows 7 professional, liked it so much I got a second one for the wife to use, her desktop was on its last legs. 

I got windows office 10 through my employer for 14.00.  the kids have to settle for the student version as its quite a bit cheaper.  Office shouldn't cost as much as it does, considering its on so many machines, at least I don't have to get a newer version anytime soon. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

myk

I like '7; it's perfectly fine, by my standards...

Fred

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on October 01, 2013, 10:20:29 PM
That does suck :brickwall:  Had to step up to Windows 8 myself.  I'd rather downgrade back to 7 personally.  No Office with Windows 8 unless you pay $100 a yr. for it. :flame:

FYI, full MS Office doesn't come with any version of Windows.  Some OEM's stick it on there (usually on business or student machines) and others leave it off to keep the price low.   But it's not a feture or add-on of Windows, it's a standalone product.

You can still put Office on Windows 8 without paying yearly, just buy a retail copy.   The $100/year mess is for the new 'Office 365' option.    You can just delete that crap and buy a retail copy of Office and keep moving.  Office home and student edition is usually 100-some odd dollars and it's yours for as long as you can keep up with the license key.

That's what I bought (closer to $200.00 here) but apparently you can only install it 3 times (use the licence key 3 times before it won't work anymore and you need to purchase the product again)
But as long as your computer doesn't crash, that's not a problem.

Had to buy it just for power point. Windows XP came with power point but windows 7 didn't so I could no longer even view any of my existing power points.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

cudaken

Got working again, this time I did not throw a rod, seems the shifter rod broke.

I could get the desk top up, but none of the programs would take commands? Tired to get her stated in Safe Mode, could not get it to take commands? While I was messing with it I was  :cheers: drinking, guess that did not help.  :lol:

This morning I started it up and used the windows key on the keyboard and was able to run a program?  :scratchchin: Cursor was moving as normal, but the left button was not working! That why I was unable to open anything!  :shruggy:

Installed another mouse and I am back in business! First think I did was make backups of all the files! Heck, I did not even have Allen or Bruce phone number, it was all in the computer. Luckily Bruce called while I was messing with it.

I am amazed how much I depend on the computer! My daughter called with the name of a local repair shop so I could look up there number. Told her "How can I look up there phone number when I cannot go on line! She said, ah phone book? Boy, I have forgot all about them!  :smilielol:  

Cuda Ken
I am back

41husk

glad to here your back on line.  Did Jim call?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

nvrbdn

yep allen i did. but i got a message that he was unavailable. must have been in a chat with others at the time. glad he got it fixed. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

41husk

Me too.  I got the rearend back under the Duster and will bolt her down tonight.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

nvrbdn

great news. i had to help my dad with some stuff, then dug in the garage and found my lost kick panels. tonight i have to pretend to be married and spend time with the wife because the relatives are all coming in from california tomorrow thru the weekend so we wont be able to just hang out. :rotz:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

rt green

up and running. good. glad you didnt kill it totally. talk to ya soon, bruce
third string oil changer

Wicked72

M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

cudaken

While we are talking about the Keyboard Thingie. Really old timers will remember me talking about pouring Cam 2 into the Floppy Drive.  :D

Can a new computer be ran with a older Software, like XP Pro? I like XP and some of my hardware and software need the older drive in XP.

I was looking for external hard drive (last problem really had me worried) and came across this at Wally World.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Refurbished-Black-GX520-Desktop-PC-with-Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-160GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium/20678958

I don't want to learn a new computer system. Going from Windows 98 to XP drove me nuts!  :eek2: But, the current Keyboard Thingie is old. I am guessing 2002. It has Pentium 4 2.80 GHz, 128 Ram and a 80 gig hard drive that is at 40 gigs. Would like a fair video card, I watch TV and Moves on line. Not much of a gamer. My newest one is from around 2000.  :smilielol:

Cuda Ken 
I am back

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: cudaken on October 03, 2013, 09:57:48 PM

While we are talking about the Keyboard Thingie. Really old timers will remember me talking about pouring Cam 2 into the Floppy Drive.  :D

Can a new computer be ran with a older Software, like XP Pro? I like XP and some of my hardware and software need the older drive in XP.

I was looking for external hard drive (last problem really had me worried) and came across this at Wally World.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Refurbished-Black-GX520-Desktop-PC-with-Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-160GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium/20678958

I don't want to learn a new computer system. Going from Windows 98 to XP drove me nuts!  :eek2: But, the current Keyboard Thingie is old. I am guessing 2002. It has Pentium 4 2.80 GHz, 128 Ram and a 80 gig hard drive that is at 40 gigs. Would like a fair video card, I watch TV and Moves on line. Not much of a gamer. My newest one is from around 2000.  :smilielol:

Cuda Ken  

I just recently left Dell (in fact my last day is tomorrow) so let me help you out if I can.

That walmart refurb is pretty old even by refurb standards; Dell stopped making GX520's 4 or more years ago, and it's quite undersized for Win7 with only 2GB of RAM.   Windows 7 really needs 3-4GB to be comfortable, and that Pentium 4 is an older single core proc that you'll probably hate.  The Pentiums later gave way to the 'Core' architecture, which are dual, quad, and eight core chips for the most part on any newer PC.   If you're going to go new or recent refurb, at least look for 'Core 2 Duo' 'Core i5' or 'Core i7' if you want enough horsepower to run Win 7 effectively.    

That said - Windows 7 is the problem, not necessarily the hardware.   If that same hardware had Windows XP on it, it would fly.    Unfortunately, MS's OEM reseller agreements with the larger stores and vendors state that new machines CAN'T HAVE XP on them anymore, or even Vista - only Windows 7 (or 8 these days), so you get a new OS on old hardware which is slower than dog mess.   Likewise, slapping Windows XP on a brand new machine would cause problems, as XP drivers haven't been written for the newer peripherals and chips in newer machines (and never will be).    XP was finally abandoned by Microsoft for good last year so the only way to get a decent machine for XP is find one that's refurbed, tested, and sold with its original XP reinstalled back to the machine.

The good news is, you can still find some refurbers that ship the old gear with XP on it if you're willing to search and verify their reputation, and that's what I'd do if you want a machine on the cheap for 150 bucks or less.

Amazon appears to have several options, and also Amazon has a guarantee so you don't get ripped off or sold junk:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=computer+with+windows+xp&tag=googhydr-20&index=electronics&hvadid=11920813075&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1648235134264844074&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9hprw5mj3h_b

Good luck!

cudaken

Hater, is there one you think would work well for me? Also is there someone on Amazon you have dealt with and trust? I was looking at these 2.

http://www.amazon.com/OptiPlex-745-Pentium-Professional-Computer/dp/B007AKDPUA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1380924774&sr=1-1&keywords=computer+with+windows+xp

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-GX620-Tower-3-2GHz-Memory/dp/B004VFJRLI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1380924774&sr=1-2&keywords=computer+with+windows+xp

While most of the reviews are good, there a few real bad ones about the condition of the computer.

One of the things I do not like about the current computer is some U Tube videos are jerky and same when I watch NBC.Com. I have the fastest cable that Charter offers.

Far as backing up my programs, thumb drive or a external hard drive?   

By the way thank you for taking time to answer my question!

Cuda Ken
I am back

hatersaurusrex

As for the bad reviews, in my experience, there are always some squeaky wheels who expect a perfect computer for 100 bucks and feel like burning someone's reputation to the ground if they don't get their way.    There are several sellers on there with feedback in the high 90's, and I'd check their return policies and make sure satisfaction is guaranteed.  Just remember you're buying a used item that won't be in mint condition and you'll be fine.

As for backing up programs, I've always preferred a USB hard drive as I collect a lot of image data.  USB hard drives typically hold many many times more data than USB keys. Get one that doesn't need an external power supply so you don't have to carry around an AC adapter.   Also a good thumb drive can't be beaten for portability and is much easier to plug in on the go.  I have a couple that are made like keys and snap right onto a key ring.  Just depends on how much you want to store at any one time and how quick you need to get to it.

rt green

i hate to say it, but I've had excellent luck on ebay with computers. for what I want out of a computer they work just fine.
third string oil changer

nvrbdn

i agree, i have paid 100.00 or less for the ones i have. then i send them to my buddy that cleans them out for free and makes sure they are good to go. been very lucky, but 2 dells and a hp all in great condition. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

rt green

huh. i figured i'd catch hell for that
third string oil changer

4cruzin

The biggest issue with the XP which I am fond of as well is that Microsoft will no longer be issuing updates for that platform here soon.  Once they are finished, the hackers and virus makers will have a field day . . . . Personally I want to move to windows 7 . . . . I think I currently have 30 computers running XP now though so better get out my wallet.  :brickwall:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .