News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do I have power steering?

Started by ChargedNJ, October 05, 2013, 10:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargedNJ

I have a 68 charger 383(this is my first post ever). Recently the steering became insanely tough at low speed. Before trying to figure out if I have a more serious steering issue, perhaps it's a power steering issue. There's a reservoir attached to a belt and I think that's it but its unlabeled and I want to be sure. Can anyone help? A pic under the hood maybe?

Ghoste

Yes that would be a power steering resevoir.  Do you have a factory shop manual available?
And welcome to the site.

ChargedNJ

Holy crap that was fast.thanks for the reply! Appreciate the help. Where do I get one of those manuals?

Pete in NH

Hi,

Welcome to the group.

On the top of that reservoir there is a removable cap, give it a twist and remove it. You should see power steering fluid within two inches or so from the top. There should also be a dip stick attached to the cap. If the reservoir is empty refill it with power steering fluid to the cold full mark on the dip stick. If that restores your power steering you have a leak in the system somewhere. It could be anything from a bad hose , loose hose clamp or bad seal somewhere. If there was, no fluid in the pump keep a careful eye on the fluid level. You don't want to damage the pump due to no fluid.

Factory service manuals can often be found on EBay. You want the 68 Dodge manual which will cover all models in 1968. With fewer mechanics around today, that actually worked on these cars these manuals are becoming  more important a a link to the 40 year old technology in these cars.

Mopar Nut

Hello, welcome to the support group.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

elacruze

My pump has no dipstick.

If you are low on PS fluid, you may have to fill the reservoir 2-3 times. While the engine idles, turn the wheel from lock to lock a time or two then re-check the fluid. After it stays up, you'll have to check it regularly. Air will come out and lower the level overnight the first time.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

ChargedNJ

Tightened the belt and added fluid. Thanks so much the help. Working great now.

Ghoste

:2thumbs: :cheers:
Now go to the post a pic of your Charger thread and give us some eye candy.

JB400

bull

How much did you add? There's probably a leak that needs fixing.

ChargedNJ

i added a container full.  its possible there's a leak so i'll keep an eye on the garage floor.

ChargedNJ

trying to post a pic but its saying its too large!

Dino

Quote from: ChargedNJ on October 07, 2013, 07:47:04 AM
trying to post a pic but its saying its too large!

They need to be 200kb each or less but you can also post the pictures on flickr or photobucket or something and post the links here.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

nvrbdn

welcome to the group. cant wait to see pic's. lots of great people here with tons of help when you need it. i know, cuz i have bent a few ears around here. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House