News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuilding a brake caliper question.

Started by cudaken, November 18, 2013, 10:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

My 68 Road Runner had sat for 8 years with out moving. This summer I got a wild hair up my butt and started working on her. Getting her running went smoother than I thought and it is nice to have her going again.

I was worried that the brakes would have gone bad in that time. I was shocked and pleased when I found I still have brake pedal. While I had the car up in the air changing the oil I found the right front brake was locked up. After having the car up and down a few times it unstuck it self and the wheel turns.  :coolgleamA:

Now I can drive her around the neighbor hood I find she is pulling hard to the left when braking. So I guessing the right caliper is stuck.

Now read this part carefully, it is going to get complicated! When I took to a local Mopar shop to have a disc brake conversion installed Rich dragged his feet! After waiting two months I went off on him. While I was ripping him a new one I spotted a K Frame with a rebuilt front end with Disc brakes. I pointed at it and told him "Can you install that one!" He said yes, but it is for a 1970 Cuda that had been converted to disc using I think Aspen Brakes? 

Now this was, God 28 years ago? :scratchchin: Seems to me 18 years ago when I ran a Midas we installed new pads and again I am thinking they where from a Aspen.  :shruggy: Getting old shucks and I never thought I would question what I had.

So I either need to rebuild the caliper or replaces it but I need a way to ID what I have first!  ::)

Car handle the same with the Cuda Front end, maybe a little better with the wider front track and the brakes beat the hell out of the factory drums.

Thanks for the coming ideas!

Cuda Ken, driving Miss Lumpy again. (Nick name for the Road Runner)
I am back

RIDGERACER383

I think is you just need to measure the bore of the caliper then search autozone for say 76 aspen and check the parts specs and it will tell you the bore..Alot of the Mopar single piston calipers are the same I think.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

1974dodgecharger

mine sat for umph years also and she would get stuck and actually create smoke while driving.  I relubed the rubber parts of the piston and put lube inside there as much as I could.  Drove her more often and she got unstuck for me and now stops great.

cudaken

Thanks for the answers folks.

I will Google to see if the Aspen disc brake conversion was done before.

Did the 68 Road Runner and 70 Cuda share the same spindle sizes?

Cuda Ken 
I am back

Lord Warlock

If i remember right, the disc brake conversion kits for b bodies were based on the 76 or so aspen discs.  These were single piston calipers, used different spindles but fit b bodies so it would fit on a roadrunner or a charger.  Think the ones i bought were from MP Brakes (master power) they still sit in the original boxes on the shelf of my garage.  As far as i know, they still sell the kits so you should be able to search MP for available kits.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

1974dodgecharger

I used everything from a chrysler sebring for my conversion.....

cudaken

I just did a Goggle search and it seems I remembered correctly about the 76 Aspen parts.

So I am good to go.

Thanks folks, Ken
I am back