News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger Steering Column Too Short

Started by RIDGERACER383, November 15, 2013, 07:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDGERACER383

My car used to be column shift then I put in a console from another 68 Charger and the column..For years I thought it was short.My steering wheel is really close to my dash.Like 2 inches from the dash.The column is a original column and I think it was power steering just like mine.Can the steering column be adjusted?

The pictures I've seen from other 68 Chargers the steering wheel is like 5 or 6 inches from the dash.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

RIDGERACER383

cdr

there is a stop on the column where it bolts at the fire wall,it should only go so far & stop.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

RIDGERACER383

I'll check it out cuz it needs pulled out about 4 inches.

70 sublime

Did you take the column you have out of a car or did someone just sell you one and told you what it was ??

When I got my 70 it had the wrong column in it (there was no key so it was a 68 or 69 someone had stuck in to make it steer)

In the picture the top one is a 73 column shift steering column I took out of a 73 that I took out to get the key and lock parts
The middle one is a 70 Charger console shift column
Bottom one is the one that came in my car the was wrong

You can see the black bracket that bolts onto the column that goes up under the dash that holds the white plastic slot things that bolt it to the car

I found out that not all the black brackets are the same
Some reach farther than others so if you did not have the right one it could make your steering wheel mount closer to the dash (that is why I asked where did you get the one you are using from)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

RIDGERACER383

I got my column out of another 68 Charger which is the original column.When I pulled it I could tell its been there its whole life.Im not sure if the parts Charged was power steering or not but I read that the manual steering column is longer.I put my console and column in that car in 94 so I'm a little foggy on if it was adjustable or not.I always knew it was close to the dash.Recently I started looking at the steering wheels of other 68 Chargers and realize my steering wheel is way too close to the dash.

RIDGERACER383

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can get the column to move out more..I don't see why it wouldn't seeing its a original 68 Charger column.

Ghoste

The collapsing section hasn't been "used" has it?

RIDGERACER383

I don't think it has been..You mean how it collapses in a wreck right?

Ghoste

RIDGERACER383

The car I got it from has been sitting a long time and wasn't wrecked.

70 sublime

If your column was in a wreck it would not be long enough to reach the steering box and not make any difference on how close the steering wheel is to the dash
The mounting holes on the column that the braket bolts to that have the white plastic slots will not change
I still think it will be that the bracket is not the right one to reach the right distance

RIDGERACER383

Is something on the column adjustable so I can pull it out more?..Maybe I have it mounted wrong.

RIDGERACER383

Any ideas about where I screwed up installing my column?

70 sublime

Are you sure you have the right steering wheel ??
Some are flatter and some have a deeper dish to them which would make it farther from the dash

RIDGERACER383

It's the right steering wheel.It the pics I've seen the kneck of the column is sticking out more..The kneck of mine is not showing at all.I just need to know if it can come out more?

Hard Charger

Ridgeracer383

There are 2 sizes (length) of columns for a console car.

a longer one for manual steering and a shorter one for power steering. The size compensates for different size steering box.

The size difference is all forward of the white bearing, in the shaft.