News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 to 360 balance questions

Started by elsensei, October 02, 2013, 02:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elsensei

Hi guys-

I don't post here much, obviously, I tend to read more than I write since there's a lot I don't know.

Here's my situation.

I have a 68 charger that was an original 318 904 car. I converted it to a 5 speed with one of keisler's kits, changed out the cam and heads, converted it to fuel injection with a Megasquirt box and hung two ball bearing turbochargers off it. Last time I put it on the dyno it was making 509 RWHP. Way more power than the car can put to the ground.

That motor also had 76000 miles on it. Just a couple weeks ago I came across a complete 360 from an auto trans 1976 RV with 21,000 miles for 500 bucks so I bought it to swap into the charger.

I'm a good way through moving parts from the 318 to the 360 and hope to have it finished within a couple weeks. I'm doing assembly now.

My questions all deal with balancing and the correct parts to use.

1. I read that the 318s were internally balanced, and the 360s externally balanced. The first photo is of the cast crankshaft in the 360 (the 318 was cast also, though I heard those were all forged from the factory.)

Anyway, note the holes drilled in the counterweights of the 360 crank. My question is, is that normal? Meaning, is this somehow a balanced rotating assembly and therefore I can use a neutral balance damper and flywheel or is this a normal 360 crankshaft, externally balanced and therefore I have to use a 360 specific damper and flywheel?

2. Assuming its a normal, external balance 360, see picture 2. This is the harmonic balancer from the 318 and the stock piece from the 360. I assume I should just bolt the stock 360 balancer back on for final assembly?

3. The final question: the flywheel. The third photo is the neutral balance unit that came with the Keisler kit that I then removed from the 318. From my research it appears that a 318 flywheel needs to have a certain amount of material removed from specific spots to make it balance out the 360 rotating assembly.

I laid it all out on Google Sketchup, printed a template, located it exactly on the flywheel and got out a punch and hammer.

As you can see, I center punched three places where the point of a 1-13/64 bit needs to remove .66 inches of material to make this into a 360 correct flywheel.

Of course, I couldn't find a machine shop with that size bit so I bought one online and I'll just drill it myself on a press.

So my final question kind of ties everything together. I need to know before I drill this flywheel if that's what I'm supposed to do, given all my other questions.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Sam

elsensei

the pics. what a PITA this simple machines forum software is. good god...

Cooter

Might wanna drill the other side. Looks like you are on the clutch side in pics.
I don't like doing it this way, but would interested in your results.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

elsensei

No, it's turned the correct way. That is the engine side.

Cooter

Ok...looks to be a new flywheel then..why didn't you just order correct balance?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

elsensei

No, that's the used flywheel from the 318.

Anyone want to chime in with some advice?

John_Kunkel

1) Early 318 cranks were forged, later are cast but all are internal balance. The drilled holes in the 360 crank are normal, each individual crank is spin balanced using a specific bobweight.

2) Yes, just bolt the correct 360 balancer on.

3) Drill the flywheel as specified and you're good to go; my only concern would be the flywheel material, factory flywheels are cast steel but some aftermarket flywheels are billet steel...difference in density.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

elsensei

Hey, thanks for the advice. I can tell from your answers that you actually took the time to read the post and look at the photos to figure out what I was asking and I appreciate that.

I will proceed with the build and I'll let you know how it all turns out. I will do some research on the question of flywheel density vs. stock and adjust accordingly. Thanks again!

Cooter

Don't know why you took offense to what I post d and quite frankly, I don't give two fu*cks.
I simply prefer to just get the correct flywheel, and I've never seen the engine side look like that so before you pm me acting like a
Douchebag, you might wanna try and understand why something is posted the way ut us and grow a thicker skin.
I have forgotten more than you'll ever know.

Will NEVER try and help you again. Have a nice day .

John_Kunkel

Only the engine side of a flywheel could look like that, the rear side of the flywheel will have a counterbored area for the bolt heads and the difference between do-it-yourself and new is $250. In this case, the trick to DIY is having the orphan size drill; but purchasing one is still cheaper than new if you already have a usable flywheel.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.