News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Manual Steering

Started by JMF, February 18, 2013, 06:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Anyone run their 68-70's with a 440 with manual steering ? I want to know how heavy it is, I may be going to look at a 69 440 with no power steering, I used to have a 67 Mustang Fastback 289 with no power steering and I found that ok except maybe a little heavy getting it in the garage etc, how much heavier would the Charger steering be than the Mustang as I know the Charger is a much bigger car with a bigger engine, any thoughts appreciated, thanks

Cooter

The thing you gotta undderstand when running manual steering is running a PS box without the PS pump hooked up is ALOT different than running a Manual box. I have a 440 in a Dart with manual steering and find it is no harder to steer in a confined space than my Toyota truck with Manual steering.

Sure, it ain't PS, but it ain't that bad either.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

johnnyseville

Probably no worse than the Mustang.  Only parking can take more effort, once you are moving no problem, in fact prefer it to PS, much better feel of the road, not sloppy.   My Hemi has manual steering  and 4 spd, one hand on each, can be a workout sometimes, but I enjoy it.   Try it out, can always convert if you want, or get a faster ratio box.
too many to list!

JMF

JMF

Going to look at a 68 tomorrow with no PS, hopefully it won't be too heavy

1974dodgecharger

you be fine..i have manual in my 68 the only issue is trying to parrell park...

myk

Unless you've got a lot of time, patience and money, I wouldn't let your dissatisfaction with the steering setup keep you from buying an otherwise favorable Charger; a PS install/swap is easier than waiting for another opportunity to buy a Charger IMO...

Hard Charger

manual steering on my 68 with a 383 was a bear to start out. once moving its fine. just installed a power box and pump during the install. I had been gathering the parts since I bought the car. went with a stock set up but I would go with a firm feel box in future cars.
Manual steering sucks..