News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do the repro rear wheel well trim look?

Started by green69rt, September 29, 2013, 04:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

I'll be needing a set of trim for my rear wheel wells and was wondering how the repro stuff stacks up.  I think I read something about them being thin and maybe bad fit?? :shruggy:

Anyone got any experience?

bull

I bought a used reproduction piece for my LR wheel well probably 9 years ago and yes it is thin and pretty flimsy. On the bright side they look pretty much identical to the originals once installed. No idea if they're any different or better these days.

fy469rtse

be prepared to fiddle with them Mitch, actually a good idea would be to get them quickly and go trial fit them before paint goes on you beautiful car, saves marking the paint you can manipulate but I would feel better doing it on undercoat or primer, there not a bad fit with a little patience and you have more than me   

cudaken

One tip I will give you folks. When installing the trim put some grease on the inside lip of the molding and screw tips. Helps keep water out and make removing the screws easier years down the road.

Did this on my 69 Charger when it I painted it Plum Crazy, 10 years later when I painted her Viper Red, moldings came right off.

Cuda Ken
I am back

rave_12000

they are thin...only reason I used a set was because I got them new for $100 at a swap meet.  most difficult part was removing the blue protective coating...tried many solvents and found best luck with isopropyl alcohol.  I ran them across the buffing wheel and they all brightened up nicely.  since they are more flimsy than stock...you can mold to the fenders easily.  helps to have a friend...one to hold in place as you go along...and one guy does all the handy work.  add beer and you have a great afternoon project.

Dino

Quote from: cudaken on September 30, 2013, 08:53:07 AM

One tip I will give you folks. When installing the trim put some grease on the inside lip of the molding and screw tips. Helps keep water out and make removing the screws easier years down the road.

Did this on my 69 Charger when it I painted it Plum Crazy, 10 years later when I painted her Viper Red, moldings came right off.

Cuda Ken

Yep, I do this with all trim and screws that go through sheet metal.  Works great!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bull

I light a candle and dip the screws in hot wax. Wax also helps to prevent rust and moisture.