News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 440 Ignition

Started by sgt72charger, September 23, 2013, 01:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgt72charger

Im looking for a little bit of insight before I purchase this ignition set.  I was wondering if you this would work
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/moigsprbbl2.html
(Mancini Racing Power Ignition Package  Item# MRE6995ACLKIT)  I am in the process of plumbing my 72 dodge charger it was originally a 318 small block car I received it with no drivetrain but the original wiring harness was still intact (well for the most part)  I built a 440 from scratch and now I am looking to wire it up.   I'm looking for everything I will need to get the (ignition aspect ) complete.

Do you know of any thing besides the stock wiring harness and this kit I would need thanks for the help
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

ACUDANUT

Did it have electronic ignition ?  Use that.   :cheers:

sgt72charger

how can i tell if it had electronic ignition? all i had was the harness i was told that 70 and up did but that was hearsay.
i plan on buying the set from manchinni and trying to figure out what else i need to get the motor running
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

Cooter

If it were me, I'd see about an MSD set up with  reman. Stock distibutor.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ACUDANUT

Quote from: sgt72charger on September 23, 2013, 02:08:57 PM
how can i tell if it had electronic ignition? all i had was the harness i was told that 70 and up did but that was hearsay.
i plan on buying the set from manchinni and trying to figure out what else i need to get the motor running

Do you have a pic of the engine wiring harness ?  :scratchchin:  Is there a small box on the firewall wall that says Chrysler Electronic Ignition ?

Cooter

Iirc, Chrysler didn't go to electronic across the board until 1973 for big blocks....
1972 shoulda been points.
Although I do have a 1972 small block car that is electronic.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

sgt72charger

pics
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

sgt72charger

sorry for the crap pics it keeps saying mine are to large.. i will  try later :brickwall:
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Cooter on September 23, 2013, 06:47:07 PM
Iirc, Chrysler didn't go to electronic across the board until 1973 for big blocks....
1972 shoulda been points.
Although I do have a 1972 small block car that is electronic.

Not really true. Most cars in 72 had this. :Twocents:

ACUDANUT

look at pic's from a 72 with an ECU and try to see if you have a match. If you don't, you still can get a painless electronic ignition conversion kit from summit. Easier and painless than a MSD. :Twocents:

sgt72charger

https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/1966.74.a.b.e.body/electrical/harnesses-.-engine/?year=1972

I was looking at these... the painless systems are all generic.
Trying to figure out eveything a need besides the factory engine harness to get the car wired up

as of right now this is my list

distributor/electromic
coil
plugwires
ballast resistor
voltage regulator
ground for battery
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

Pete in NH

I've attached a picture of a Chrysler electronic ignition module. Stock factory units are black, aftermarket units are often various colors depending on who made them. They all have the same shape and basic appearance of the pictured unit.

You might want to hold off on buying the coil, distributor and ballast resistor until you decide on what ignition system you want to use. All those parts will vary with the ignition system.

We had a 72 dodge in the family with a small block engine that was an ex- Chrysler Corporation car, it had electronic ignition. My understanding was 72 was a transition year, with fleet and corporate cars getting the new ignition system as kind of a big field trial. It went standard across the board in 73.

sgt72charger

here is what was on my firewall before i started the restoration. is this the electronic ignition module?
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

ACUDANUT

Ok, it does not look like it had a E.I. unit.  Go with plan B and get a ECU unit from summit. If folks like me could see where your from, that would help a lot. Your Neighbor could be here and would not know it. Why people here hide there location is a on going mystery :scratchchin: . Good luck.  :Twocents:

sgt72charger

i live in the hudson valley area in NY.  I just never got around to setting up my profile..
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

Pete in NH

Hi,

As Acudanut has posted it doesn't look like your car had factory electronic ignition. The unit shown in your picture is the electronic voltage regulator for the alternator. In the picture there are two little dimples in the firewall above the A/C lines, this is where the electronic ignition module would have likely been mounted.

On adding electronic ignition you have many choices and will get widely varying advice. I personally like the Mopar Performance kit that gives you a new complete distributor, control unit and wiring harness. It replicates the factory system and has the advantage of being able to get replacement parts at any parts store.

sgt72charger

where can i get the complete kit ? part store?
what all is involled ?

I like being able to get parts from the local parts store when ever i need them...

ok sense my car did not come with electronic ignition does this mean i cannot keep my factory harness (I only want electronic ignition)

also it was a 318 car originaly what differences are there in the harness.
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

ACUDANUT

You keep your original engine wiring harness and buy the Electronic Ignition Kit from Summit, It comes with a very easy directions and pictures. It only takes 15 minutes to install.

Pete in NH

Hi,

The Mopar Performance  kit for big block engines is part number 3690428 and Summit Racing plus others sell it. Looks like Summit is getting 225.00 with free shipping. If you do an on line search of the part number you will come up with other sellers and maybe a better price.

The kit gives you a new distributor, including rotor and cap, the control module, ballast resistor and a small add on wiring harness to install the kit. You do not have to touch the existing wiring harness. It also comes with instructions that are very easy to follow. As I mentioned there are many opinions on ignition systems but, I think this is a good one for a very easy installation in a car that will be a street car. I have this kit installed on my 71 383.

It looks like Acudanut and I were replying at the same time! I just looked at the Mancini kit you referenced in your first post , it is the same basic kit as the Mopar Performance kit with plug wires and a coil added. It looks like a better price including the additional items. I'd say go for it!

sgt72charger

thanks for all the help guys.
im going to purchase the Manchini one considering its the same parts but you get a new set of eccell wires and coil for just 25. more
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

ACUDANUT

:2thumbs:
If your not very Mechanically inclined, I am sure there is a you-tube video of someone doing the same as you will be doing.

firefighter3931

Best bet for a quality ignition system is to skip the MP stuff....the ECU boxes are junk and won't last for long. Now if you had a 15 yr old box i'd say you're in better shape.  :yesnod:

The easiest way to start from scratch is with a ready-to-run distributor ; eliminates all the bulky wiring, ballist resistor and external ECU (prone to failure)  :eek2:

Very easy to wire up and a dead nuts reliable spark to light off the fuel/air mixture.  :2thumbs:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,102068.msg1205110.html#msg1205110

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

sgt72charger

I'm always down to getting rid of old out dated wiring and componets..

i would consider myself mechanically inclined but alot of this is new to me
Ive built several high hp cars before this but, this is the first American made car Ive ever touched...(well classic)  hence the confusion
i decided to turn towards a different crowd of more mature individuals. it was hard to find a decent conversation with the motor heads I was around before so i went complete night and day with this build compared to my others
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

ACUDANUT

You made the right decision Devil Dog. Welcome to the "best of American classic's".