News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How Much Floor to Cut For a 4 spd Swap?

Started by twenty mike mike, January 22, 2014, 02:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twenty mike mike

Is it necessary to cut the floor all the way around the inner circumference of the hump? (Or, the outer circumference minus the lip.) Seems a lot to just allow the shifter to move properly. If a lip of the old floor is left in there, will it collect oil and debris? Make strange whistling noises?

Picture credit to Mytur Binsdirti.

Troy

I believe gunk will collect in there if you leave the old floor overhanging by too much. The obvious place to leave an overhang is at the rear where the cross member is (don't want to cut that!). The rods do poke out a good ways so I'm not sure how much you can leave in front without them binding. I don't have anything completely assembled right now or I'd check the clearances.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

66FBCharger

I am guessing the floor is cut that way to leave clearance for the shift rods when they move.
You could probably put paintable caulk where the floor meets the four speed hump to minimize how much gunk could get in there. Just a thought.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

A383Wing

you also need enough room to roll the trans with linkage attached when replacing the clutch....the large opening is what needs to be cut out

twenty mike mike

OK, I'll get to work and do it the way Troy did it. Thanks for the help.

High Impact

Here's mine!  That hole looks about right..

Ghoste

You think someone would make a cheesy cardboard template to sell you for ten bucks whenever you buy the floor hump.

Troy

Quote from: Ghoste on January 25, 2014, 09:44:39 AM
You think someone would make a cheesy cardboard template to sell you for ten bucks whenever you buy the floor hump.
Using the hump works pretty well!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

A383Wing

Quote from: Troy on January 25, 2014, 12:35:47 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on January 25, 2014, 09:44:39 AM
Using the hump works pretty well!

Troy

yup...it works real good...that's what I used when I did my 66 "A" body to 4spd