News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fy4's 69 rt restoration

Started by fy469rtse, September 26, 2013, 06:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fy469rtse

relatively new member on , be patient trying to get the handle on posting photo's wtf ,
starting my build thread before I forget too much of the detail, actually didn't think the quality of my build worthy of posting , but have realised with the guys on that all builds on here all worth it, from the concourse to the beaters, as long as these cars are being saved in any way.
had this car about ten years , bought it at a time when I didn't really want another project, but being a stripped rolling shell in another country , the poor things prospects weren't good, so I took it home and in between sourcing all the missing parts and working on my68 rt it finally got the stage where I was ready to start on the body,
follow along and I will try to post photo's .

fy469rtse

ok that first one worked, more

fy469rtse

more

Old Tired Rebel

Sweet and Welcome. You're right all the guys and gals here are great.

fy469rtse

more

fy469rtse

another

fy469rtse

more, typical rust to body as seen on here , trunk floor , trunk extensions rear Dutchman panel , lower window frame, lower qtr's ,under battery tray,
what put this car off the road I suspect was impact damage to one side spring hanger, which would have turned differential to an angle making it undrivable, then a backwards impact to lower valance and bottom of rear floor pan to trunk,
had to get car pulled on a jig first to get it square and back to factory measurements on the body rail dimensions before I could start,
both side rear rails were solid but had impact creases to them which almost came out perfect with body pulled.

Homerr

Any progress on any Charger is worth reporting on!  Good job so far.   :2thumbs:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

fy469rtse

rear Dutchman panel and lower window frame replaced, these were a good timed release, remember thinking at the time how in the hell am I going to make the inner lower window frame, plenum part under the Dutchman caused me some head aches as half of it was rotted away, had to fabricate it to match what was left, it turned out all right and you cant tell to look at it,
then amd go and release that part new two months after I had done this area , # $% always the way,
best thing I did was get my hands on a spot welder, a lot less clean up and you can replicate factory look, also a lot easier if your working on your own.

fy469rtse

forgot to explain the cardboard , templates for chassis connectors, didn't know about  us car tool then but had done a couple of cars like this before ,
break pressed my own, templates to fit roughly so could trim up close before fitting to car , once close to the shape put a false top in them to create a complete box like section, once welded in to floor added a smaller strip to each edge to replicate the factory chassis was done , also was a lot easier to do this way rather then trying to clean up welds along the edges, drilled holes at the same intervals as factory holes so to anyone looking at it looks factory installed, as replicated the joints as the factory did them, I didn't want them to stand out and just become part of the floor, chassis,   

fy469rtse

more of the chassis connectors torque box's

fy469rtse

more

fy469rtse

more

TPR

Nice work fy, keep 'em coming.
The rear shot in the 'Got a pic...' thread looks nice. I like the silver/black vinyl top combo.
TPR
:2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

tsmithae

Welcome, she looks like she's coming along nicely!  :cheers:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

E5 Charger

Wow, that does look factory! Great job!

miamivice

coming along great!   love to see progress pictures like this (and the fab job you did on the subframe connectors!)

fy469rtse

Quote from: TPR on September 27, 2013, 05:31:50 AM
The rear shot in the 'Got a pic...' thread looks nice. I like the silver/black vinyl top combo.
TPR
thanks, not silver,  gold silver, bad light , more like your grandma's prized silver, lets hope she doesn't move like grandma , shouldn't with a 440 stroked out to 505 , solid roller , victor junior heads and intake ,

TPR

Quote from: fy469rtse on September 29, 2013, 06:42:13 AM
Quote from: TPR on September 27, 2013, 05:31:50 AM
TPR
thanks, not silver,  gold silver, bad light , more like your grandma's prized silver, lets hope she doesn't move like grandma , shouldn't with a 440 stroked out to 505 , solid roller , victor junior heads and intake ,

I can see a tinge of gold in that pic now, on top of the rear quarter. Very nice.
Those mods sound impressive!!!
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

green69rt

Always interesting to see a restore.  They're all different and I always learn something.   Neat way you did the frame connectors.  What gauge metal did you use??

Noticed that your putting one picture per reply.   You can include as many as 4.   When you add one there is text ..."(more attachments)".....that is to the right of the browse button.  Just click on the text and another box appears that lets you add another pic.   

fy469rtse

thanks Mitch, 2mm thick zincaneal I think that's what its called, supposedly the right type of car plate for this era.
tried an earlier post to this with attachments and it came up error, its a pain to post photo's on here , oh well at least you get see some

Old Tired Rebel

Quote from: fy469rtse on September 29, 2013, 05:25:29 PM
thanks Mitch, 2mm thick zincaneal I think that's what its called, supposedly the right type of car plate for this era.
tried an earlier post to this with attachments and it came up error, its a pain to post photo's on here , oh well at least you get see some

What is zincaneal?

fy469rtse

more, the hardest part with body work for me any way, was with the rear impact damage,
even after car was pulled on a rack , each side quarter panel had a crease vertically over wheel arch's , took me a while to figure out how to get these out , was on the verge of pulling qtr.'s for new, ended up taking outer wheel arch's out for good access, then was able to get a friend over once I had tapped them straight and to a level where the next step was to shrink it .
see if you would have picked on the qtr.'s, I'm paranoid about them
but like all owners that have worked on your cars , you know every fault and bits you would like to do over or wished you had seen that and done it better