News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

74 Daytona Clone

Started by Old Tired Rebel, September 25, 2013, 10:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Tired Rebel

Has anyone actually built a 74 Charger Daytona Clone here? I seen the ones from Dayclona. This site is giving me ideas.

djcarguy

seen pixs of few 3rd gen with just wing an few with noses too.. dayclonas are the best i think so far  of 3rd gens.

hope you have a flame suit on or handy as some dont like any out of the box wing creations. did you see the threads bout the orange one an white ones for sale awhile back?? both needed some help an better nose an wing scale and shape..

not much quarter on 3rd gen to mount a wing too.. if ya do it good luck an post away,an share the good an bad of custom building a wing creation.... :popcrn: :Twocents: :popcrn: :popcrn: :drool5: :cheers:

DonC1

Big Willie did...73-74 or so...wheel flares etc, flat black.

Stevearino

Done right they don't look half bad. I like the Charger version better than the Plymouth personally.

Dave Kanofsky

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

hotrod98

That would not be an easy build. Everything pretty much has to be built from scratch. Those narrow quarter ledges will mean building a wing with a very narrow base.
The nose will have to be built from scratch as well. Add to that the difficulty of making the original style headlamp buckets fit the nose and you have a mini nightmare on your hands.
I highly suggest you find a complete 70 Charger and go that direction. That way you will already have the correct hood and fenders and you can buy stuff that already fits. Not to mention the fact that you will have something that someone would actually want to purchase should you ever decide to sell it.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Old Tired Rebel

I would love to find a 68-70 Charger to build one. The only ones I have seen were by Dayclona but they don't offer kits anymore. I have to admit a 2 gen Charger would be better to clone one with.

Old Tired Rebel

BigBlockSam

QuoteBig Willie did...73-74 or so...wheel flares etc, flat black.

that car looks tuff
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Old Tired Rebel

Yeah it does looks like it needs to be on a nascar track

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

myk

Let you be the only one that approves or limits your ideas.  If you want to build a 3rd Gen wing car then go for it.  As for selling it down the road, if people want a Hemi car so badly that they're willing to pay $20K or more for a rusted out hulk on ebay that's a step away from the wrecking yard, then I'm sure that you'd be able to find a buyer for a 3rd gen that might need a little "de-customizing" to get it back to a factory-ish car...

Old Tired Rebel

Quote from: myk on September 26, 2013, 04:16:26 PM
Let you be the only one that approves or limits your ideas.  If you want to build a 3rd Gen wing car then go for it.  As for selling it down the road, if people want a Hemi car so badly that they're willing to pay $20K or more for a rusted out hulk on ebay that's a step away from the wrecking yard, then I'm sure that you'd be able to find a buyer for a 3rd gen that might need a little "de-customizing" to get it back to a factory-ish car...

I don't know if it will happen. It has to be the right kit along with a good price. Dayclona is the only one that has what I want. The question is if they still make them,from their website it doesn't look like it. I sent a email to them and waiting for their response.

Old Tired Rebel

I just got a email from Gary at Dayclona and he doesn't make kits any more. So  a 74 Daytona will never happen.

djcarguy

buy fiberglass daytona wing an nose an modify them too fit your car? or bird nose if you like it better for any reason at all.   the wing will bee lighter an easyer to cut an modity that aluminum for most home customizers, :Twocents:  keep the dream alive an maybe start with some models or photo shop.good luck,DJ :cheers:

have your looked at ---          unuseual mopars-----------------  an dartona not factory base wing cars??? :D

hotrod98

The wing blade will need to be much wider than the 69 version so altering a stock blade wouldn't be too easy. The easiest thing to do is to take your car to Don Currie in Canada and have him build everything from scratch. He's a member here and does excellent work. I can't price out his work but I would think that it would probably be around 12 to 14K for the wing, working nose and fender scoops.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Old Tired Rebel

Quote from: djcarguy on September 26, 2013, 11:00:05 PM
  buy fiberglass daytona wing an nose an modify them too fit your car? or bird nose if you like it better for any reason at all.   the wing will bee lighter an easyer to cut an modity that aluminum for most home customizers, :Twocents:  keep the dream alive an maybe start with some models or photo shop.good luck,DJ :cheers:

have your looked at ---          unuseual mopars-----------------  an dartona not factory base wing cars??? :D

I think I will let this die for a 74 Charger I have a few ideas to make my different.

Old Tired Rebel

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 27, 2013, 10:33:56 AM
The wing blade will need to be much wider than the 69 version so altering a stock blade wouldn't be too easy. The easiest thing to do is to take your car to Don Currie in Canada and have him build everything from scratch. He's a member here and does excellent work. I can't price out his work but I would think that it would probably be around 12 to 14K for the wing, working nose and fender scoops.

I think I will wait until I can afford to buy a 69 Charger basket case to build one.

Golden-Arm

Quote from: Old Tired Rebel on September 25, 2013, 10:41:59 PM
Has anyone actually built a 74 Charger Daytona Clone here? I seen the ones from Dayclona. This site is giving me ideas.

how do you "clone" something that never existed?  :scratchchin:

Old Tired Rebel

Quote from: Golden-Arm on September 27, 2013, 01:00:35 PM

It did exist as a prototype, but never put in production.

wingcar

Technically the third generation "wingcars" that Chrysler tested in the wind tunnel were 71's, but that aside they are basically the same body style. 
I stopped calling my 1970 Daytona a clone and now refer to it more as a custom, since I am incorporating some changes that I would never do to an original wingcar.   When I am finished, anyone in the know will be able to see right off that it is in no way an original.  Those unfamiliar with wingcars might still believe it to be an original but I have always been quick to tell anyone looking at my car that I built it, not the factory.  (As it should be)
I saw Big Willie's homemade Daytona at the "Mopars at the Strip" show a few years back, and it was rough.  But having said that, I don't believe Willie ever cared that much about the looks of his cars, just how fast they were.   I last saw this car listed on one of those Hollywood site as a car that could be used in movies, but it mentioned that it was not running.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Old Tired Rebel

Quote from: wingcar on September 27, 2013, 01:51:57 PM
Technically the third generation "wingcars" that Chrysler tested in the wind tunnel were 71's, but that aside they are basically the same body style. 
I stopped calling my 1970 Daytona a clone and now refer to it more as a custom, since I am incorporating some changes that I would never do to an original wingcar.   When I am finished, anyone in the know will be able to see right off that it is in no way an original.  Those unfamiliar with wingcars might still believe it to be an original but I have always been quick to tell anyone looking at my car that I built it, not the factory.  (As it should be)
I saw Big Willie's homemade Daytona at the "Mopars at the Strip" show a few years back, and it was rough.  But having said that, I don't believe Willie ever cared that much about the looks of his cars, just how fast they were.   I last saw this car listed on one of those Hollywood site as a car that could be used in movies, but it mentioned that it was not running.

Yeah it was a 71 they did the Charger and Road Runner too bad they didn't produce them. But with the restrictions Nascar put on them really killed the program.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Golden-Arm

Quote from: Old Tired Rebel on September 27, 2013, 01:16:18 PM
Quote from: Golden-Arm on September 27, 2013, 01:00:35 PM

It did exist as a prototype, but never put in production.

show me the pics of a dodge/chrysler 1974 wing car prototype (factory built, not imagined by some wingy dreamer) and i'll buy you a steak and lobster dinner!!   :icon_smile_big: