News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Doug's Headers?

Started by Charger4404spd, September 24, 2013, 06:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger4404spd

myk

I hear they're supposed to be near-duplicates of the TTi's.  Whether they are or aren't, at that price I'd spend a little more and get the TTi's...

fy469rtse

yes they rival the TTi's , not a bad fit at all ,
with torsion bars in and all, had to slide starter in with the headers , but that is nearly always an issue with these cars
got mine for a friends engine 440 alloy heads , advice check the fit ,? heads spark plug angles are always an issue,
I got mine uncoated so I could modify to suit my victors and the ceramic coated them, but then mine were 2" primary's , but my friends were these

myk

Quote from: fy469rtse on September 25, 2013, 02:40:32 AM
yes they rival the TTi's , not a bad fit at all ,
with torsion bars in and all, had to slide starter in with the headers , but that is nearly always an issue with these cars
got mine for a friends engine 440 alloy heads , advice check the fit ,? heads spark plug angles are always an issue,
I got mine uncoated so I could modify to suit my victors and the ceramic coated them, but then mine were 2" primary's , but my friends were these

Would a mini-starter allow you to install the headers and the starter, seperate from each other?  On second thought, if the Doug's TRULY rival the TTi's in fit, finish and overall quality I could be persuaded to buy the cheaper Doug's; the coupla' hundred saved would go towards a new pipe system from headers to tips which I'd certainly have to buy...

WHITE AND RED 69

I've heard nothing but good things about quality and fit of Doug's Headers. 

In my experience even with a mini starter you will have to do the starter and header at the same time. There is just not enough room to get the starter in with the header in place.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Charger4404spd

Thanks guys. I know they look pretty good in the pics and are a couple hundred cheaper than the tti's, plus they have 2" primaries.

Mick70RR

I fitted them a few months ago. Very impressed with the quality and finish. RB engine, Stealth heads, power steering and a mini starter. Fit like a glove, no dings required and the bolts have never once came loose. Just make sure you jack the car up as high as you can, the higher the car is off the ground the easier they slide in from underneath.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

Charger4404spd

Quote from: Mick70RR on September 25, 2013, 04:13:00 PM
I fitted them a few months ago. Very impressed with the quality and finish. RB engine, Stealth heads, power steering and a mini starter. Fit like a glove, no dings required and the bolts have never once came loose. Just make sure you jack the car up as high as you can, the higher the car is off the ground the easier they slide in from underneath.

dstryr

Another vote for Doug's.  Put them on my 440 RR a couple of years ago. :2thumbs:  Driver side slipped right in from the top by tipping the engine.  Pass side from the bottom.  What Mick said, you need it way up.
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

myk

Hmmm....there may finally be an alternative to TTi's for me...

Bob T

Another vote here.
They were on my car ( 440 ) when I got it. Great fit and clearance,  perform as well as any and look good
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

hemihead

I believe Doug's has been around longer than TTI .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

john108

Does this fit apply to the Edelbrock RPM heads with angled plugs as well as 440source or Mopar?

Bob T

Quote from: john108 on September 28, 2013, 06:25:36 PM
Does this fit apply to the Edelbrock RPM heads with angled plugs as well as 440source or Mopar?

Sorry, dont know, mine are stock iron heads  :shruggy:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

fy469rtse

Quote from: john108 on September 28, 2013, 06:25:36 PM
yes exactly what I posted earlier , make sure you look for the sets that are made for the alloy heads , plug angles only a problem to leads,
Number 1 plug a problem and six has no room to get lead on and would toast with heat in no time , the ones listed are for cast heads , but dougs make them for the alloys, most places discount them so as to unload them because the sets that they are stuck with are for steel head sets , and yes with mini starter , you still have to slide starter in with headers, slight differences in fit also, steel to alloys, heads are physically different in size, so affects fit around steering box

mopar0166

mopar0166

The d452 headers for the 440 , dougs, jegs and summit will not commit that they will fit edelbrock angled plug heads.  I have read 2-3 times that they do fit nicely.  I guess I gotta look if I really want spend the extra cash on tti stuf

myk

Wish I could help but my Doug D452's are working with stock heads...

firefighter3931

Quote from: mopar0166 on April 05, 2016, 03:38:54 PM
The d452 headers for the 440 , dougs, jegs and summit will not commit that they will fit edelbrock angled plug heads.  I have read 2-3 times that they do fit nicely.  I guess I gotta look if I really want spend the extra cash on tti stuff

The D452's fit fine with Eddy/Sidewinder/Indy angled plug heads  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

theseoldcars

I had a set of Doug's Headers on my '68 Firebird. Beautifully built, no leaks and stayed looking smart after a year in the rain and snow. Still going strong on the car, as far as I'm aware.

mopar0166

SOLD! sounds like a plan

I should be tackling this in about two weeks, I need to finish my transmission, wiring and new center section first.  ill be posting pics of it when I get to it my deadline is closing in. 

thanks again everyone for the great help!

mopar0166

I guess the only other thing is if the ceramic coating is worth the extra money. I could argue ether way.   645 is the cost with a coating and 480 without.  is it really worth the 165 bucks ?

303 Mopar

Quote from: mopar0166 on April 06, 2016, 08:36:32 AM
I guess the only other thing is if the ceramic coating is worth the extra money. I could argue ether way.   645 is the cost with a coating and 480 without.  is it really worth the 165 bucks ?

I had ceramic coating and it really looked good IMO, way longer than the $165 I would have forgot about.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

mopar0166

good point, id spend that much on beer and food in ocean city on one night any way. :cheers:

firefighter3931

The ceramic coating is definitely worth it....underhood temps are reduced significantly with the thermal barrier.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs