News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's involved in swapping a 360 into a 318 car?

Started by MaximRecoil, September 23, 2013, 10:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargerguy74

I have no issues with wanting to maximize fuel economy. That's why I bought a TDI. But I'm personally not concerned one bit about fuel economy in my Chargers and wouldn't care if anybody was. We all enjoy these cars in our own ways.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

ws23rt

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on September 27, 2013, 06:30:30 PM
I have no issues with wanting to maximize fuel economy. That's why I bought a TDI. But I'm personally not concerned one bit about fuel economy in my Chargers and wouldn't care if anybody was. We all enjoy these cars in our own ways.

I agree. However if a charger was a daily driver economy would be an issue.  The way we drive has much to do with economy.
My challenger is a heavy car but gets 24mpg at cruising.  If I play with it the mpg goes down accordingly.  As well as the life span of the tires.

The auto trans does use hp and that is translated into heat. (trans cooler).  A 727 needs about 45HP  and a 904 needs about 20HP.
So that seems like enough of a difference to make a difference.  However when in third gear at speed the difference is almost gone.

Fred

Same here. I go cruising in mine at least 2 to 3 times a week and I don't care how much fuel she sucks up and spits out.
It's my hobby and I'm enjoying it.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

ws23rt

Quote from: Fred on September 27, 2013, 07:00:47 PM

Same here. I go cruising in mine at least 2 to 3 times a week and I don't care how much fuel she sucks up and spits out.

I feel the same about my Hemi Coronet.  It gets about 8mpg around town I would like to drive it for free but :shruggy:
The pleasure I get from driving it would not stop me if the price of fuel went to $10 per gal.
It would however keep the miles on the car lower.  And that is good cause there are only 50K on the car as it is. It's value would diminish as the miles go up. :Twocents:

Fred

Quote from: ws23rt on September 27, 2013, 07:18:50 PM

I feel the same about my Hemi Coronet.  It gets about 8mpg around town I would like to drive it for free but :shruggy:
The pleasure I get from driving it would not stop me if the price of fuel went to $10 per gal.

Ha! we're just about paying that now down under. But hell, I'm not complaining. As long as it's available, I'm happy.   :drive:

It would however keep the miles on the car lower.  And that is good cause there are only 50K on the car as it is. It's value would diminish as the miles go up. :Twocents:

I know where you're coming from Bruce but to be honest, not in a million years would I ever get back anywhere near what I put into it, that's just how it is. I'll look after it as best I can as I do with everything I own but a few stone chips or running the mileage up isn't going to stop me from having the best time I can with it. I've never been under the illusion that someone will come out of the wood works and give me top dollar for it. People are always looking for a bargain. And they'll probably get one when I'm done with it but n the meantime........life's good.

ws23rt

Quote from: Fred on September 27, 2013, 08:00:43 PM

Ha! we're just about paying that now down under. But hell, I'm not complaining. As long as it's available, I'm happy.   :drive:

I know where you're coming from Bruce but to be honest, not in a million years would I ever get back anywhere near what I put into it, that's just how it is. I'll look after it as best I can as I do with everything I own but a few stone chips or running the mileage up isn't going to stop me from having the best time I can with it. I've never been under the illusion that someone will come out of the wood works and give me top dollar for it. People are always looking for a bargain. And they'll probably get one when I'm done with it but n the meantime........life's good.

I actually have come to feel the same way about my car.  I bought it cause it is what I always wanted back in 1980.  As time passed it's uniqueness started to trump the reason I got it in the first place. It became a piece of history that brings lots of debate as to how to treat it.
If I did nothing but preserve it I would miss out on why I have it in the first place.

This may be a distinction between a hobbyist and a collector.

The car had 49'970 on the clock when I got it and the day I rolled it passed 50K a light went off in my head. This is stupid---thinking about the odometer.  (I could have not connected it).   I got it for me and will enjoy it for what it is.

This may be part of a hijack to this thread but a connection is that of economy and our cars. Which leads back to the beginning.

Fred

Hijacking (within reason) is very much a part of it and in many instances can't be helped. After all, one thing leads to another. It happens in conversation every day. We'd soon run out of things to talk about if we didn't digress.

There's a difference between hijacking and just plain stealing someone's thread.

ws23rt

Quote from: Fred on September 27, 2013, 08:42:47 PM
Hijacking (within reason) is very much a part of it and in many instances can't be helped. After all, one thing leads to another. It happens in conversation every day. We'd soon run out of things to talk about if we didn't digress.

There's a difference between hijacking and just plain stealing someone's thread.

:cheers:  I do tend to ramble on sometimes.  Especially when it comes to these cars.

69finder

If we don't go off on a tangent, we're doomed to go in circles... or something like that.

I think it's just fitting to take this thread off on it's on path considering who/what the OP usually does to other threads.   ;)

Fred

Have you seen my hijack thread?  :icon_smile_big:  It's a place where anyone can hijack anything and not get wrapped on the knuckles for it.
And what's best about it, is that it's my thread so I can hijack it any time I like and not only that, I can also steal it and take it over completely should I feel inclined!

69finder

Fred; Well, I'm hijacking this thread by talking about hijacking!! HEY!   :icon_smile_wink:

Fred

Quote from: 69finder on September 27, 2013, 11:26:28 PM
Fred; Well, I'm hijacking this thread by talking about hijacking!! HEY!   :icon_smile_wink:

:lol:  I make no apologies.

cowboy4x4n

the 360 will bolt in with minor shims to the 318 motor mounts on the driver's side.  theres a thread on here somewhere where a guy just used washers.  the 904 is a good trans when built, drag racers put the 904 internals in a 727.  if your nice to the 904 and dont abuse it with the 360 it should last a while even with the 8.25 rear.  This rear was given a bad rep but ill last if you install a sure grip or drive the peg leg nice. as far as the torgue convertor, i believe since the 360 is externally balanced you knock the weight off the convertor.  im not for sure with this.

jaak

Quote from: cowboy4x4n on September 30, 2013, 05:35:26 PM
the 360 will bolt in with minor shims to the 318 motor mounts on the driver's side.  theres a thread on here somewhere where a guy just used washers.  the 904 is a good trans when built, drag racers put the 904 internals in a 727.  if your nice to the 904 and dont abuse it with the 360 it should last a while even with the 8.25 rear.  This rear was given a bad rep but ill last if you install a sure grip or drive the peg leg nice. as far as the torgue convertor, i believe since the 360 is externally balanced you knock the weight off the convertor.  im not for sure with this.

Thats true, you can do that...in fact I have before. I was waiting for someone else to mention it first before I posted this pic. You can actually use a 318 driver's side motor mount on a 340/360, if you shim this one 'ear'. But you can't use a 340/360 mount on a 318. But the correct bracket should be an easy find on eBay.

Jason