News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

5.0 Charger

Started by SmashingPunkFan, July 18, 2012, 11:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobs69

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on September 19, 2012, 12:10:11 PM
Quote from: Cooter on September 19, 2012, 06:18:54 AM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on September 18, 2012, 10:41:32 PM

Most of the 11 second N/A coupes are only putting down ~300rwhp and usually are 3000lbs with driver or lighter.
Makes me laugh when i hear i have 500hp and the car runs 12's. :rotz:

Why? We got a supposed 600 HP Charger right here that run mid 13's...

ET will be crappy, but MPH at the big end vs curb weight don't lie on the HP figure getting to the wheels.
This is why i laugh when i hear i have 500hp in a 3200lbs car and it traps only 110-115mph.

Sometimes it is the driver that has no clue how to get the car down the track ie not shifting in the right rpm ect. Most times its just the guy runnin the dyno "made" you a good number to make you feel good.

If its an automatic stab and go there is no lieing. Unless its a 4000 rpm cam and has a stock stall convertor.

And assuming that hooking up to a Dyno cost money$$$$$$$$(which we know it does) why wouldn't the guy want to make you feel good.

SmashingPunkFan

Well I settled on a little something for my car. I'm going retrofit  :yesnod:
5.7 HEMI
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

JB400

That's good to hear.  I was wondering how your project was coming along :popcrn:

Ghoste

And a good choice btw.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Ghoste on September 15, 2013, 02:13:11 PM
And a good choice btw.

Thank you, I was a little concerned that the choice of hemi was gonna be a minor problem lol
So, before I even attempt putting it in the car, anything I should check or do first? Or should it just drop right in?
Projects:

JB400

There have been a few members that have done this mod.  Autodynamics was one of them.  I think either rolling thunder has/ is doing this as well.  You might contact one of them and ask for specifics.  Good luck

six-tee-nine

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

6spd68

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on September 15, 2013, 09:10:16 AM
5.7 HEMI

Nice, we're going the same route.

I'm going to make mine a 410 Stroker unless I can find a 426 before then.  Should make 600+ HP by the time I'm done.  The only thing that sucks, how much a carb intake for these engines cost... :RantExplode:

If you still want to build a 5.0 engine, I'd say go the same route I did and build a 347 Stroker and pop it in your Mustang.  I'm making about 440rwhp in my T-bird give or take a few depending on tune and weather.  High compression with a very agressive cam of course.  All in, you'd be looking at about 7-8K.  That's with Tranny and a Turbo Coupe 8'8 posi diff w/disc brakes.

***EDIT NOTE - 7-8K would be Canadian pricing...  In the states you'd be around 5 max for everything.
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 15, 2013, 09:22:09 PM
There have been a few members that have done this mod.  Autodynamics was one of them.  I think either rolling thunder has/ is doing this as well.  You might contact one of them and ask for specifics.  Good luck

I haven't been able to find any info on these. I had some questions already, like what's a good/decent tranny for these? (Favoring manuel)
And how am I gonna get the wiring harness/computer to work with this? (Don't have either one yet)
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: 6spd68 on September 17, 2013, 03:09:19 PM
Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on September 15, 2013, 09:10:16 AM
5.7 HEMI

Nice, we're going the same route.

I'm going to make mine a 410 Stroker unless I can find a 426 before then.  Should make 600+ HP by the time I'm done.  The only thing that sucks, how much a carb intake for these engines cost... :RantExplode:

If you still want to build a 5.0 engine, I'd say go the same route I did and build a 347 Stroker and pop it in your Mustang.  I'm making about 440rwhp in my T-bird give or take a few depending on tune and weather.  High compression with a very agressive cam of course.  All in, you'd be looking at about 7-8K.  That's with Tranny and a Turbo Coupe 8'8 posi diff w/disc brakes.

***EDIT NOTE - 7-8K would be Canadian pricing...  In the states you'd be around 5 max for everything.

That's awesome!! I'm wanting to go a little cheaper, and hopefully very cool still. I want some power, but not overboard
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

http://www.thehemi.com/newhemiswap.php

I read somewhere else on here, and found this link. Very useful. But is it really necessary to spend so much on coil overs? $4, 300 Can that be skipped?
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on September 17, 2013, 09:35:55 PM
http://www.thehemi.com/newhemiswap.php

I read somewhere else on here, and found this link. Very useful. But is it really necessary to spend so much on coil overs? $4, 300 Can that be skipped?

:shruggy:
Projects:

JB400

That is a complete suspension system designed to replace your torsion bars.  I'm sure there is an oil pan and motor mounts somewhere that can be used with the stock k member to where that is not necessary.   After further reading, it's listed on that site you posted.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 22, 2013, 10:52:47 PM
That is a complete suspension system designed to replace your torsion bars.  I'm sure there is an oil pan and motor mounts somewhere that can be used with the stock k member to where that is not necessary.   After further reading, it's listed on that site you posted.

Ahh, my bad  :drool5: I couldn't focus.
Sweet deal, cause if that was only option, I was a little mad. Lol
Projects:

6spd68

If you source out the parts individually, you can do it cheaper then the "Kits" they have for the conversion.  Most of the parts you need can be found through JEGS or just googling  :2thumbs:  I think I'm going to make my own custom intake personally, gotta find a nice dual plane that'll fit and weld on new runners.  That way I'm not spending 1000$ for a BS high rise single plane alluminum intake that would be 150$ on any other engine  :eek2:

Don't believe me?  Search for a carb intake for a 5.7...  STOOOOOOOOOPID pricing
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: 6spd68 on September 23, 2013, 04:39:30 PM
If you source out the parts individually, you can do it cheaper then the "Kits" they have for the conversion.  Most of the parts you need can be found through JEGS or just googling  :2thumbs:  I think I'm going to make my own custom intake personally, gotta find a nice dual plane that'll fit and weld on new runners.  That way I'm not spending 1000$ for a BS high rise single plane alluminum intake that would be 150$ on any other engine  :eek2:

Don't believe me?  Search for a carb intake for a 5.7...  STOOOOOOOOOPID pricing

Oh yea. When I told some of my friends I'm going retro with a 3rd gen hemi, they said "check it out, go with the carbs for 1000 $!"
Feels dumb cause I have most of everything for fuel injected already, only missing ecu and harness (which I need a new one for the whole car anyway)
So with that being said, anyone have the same thoughts? Or am I off?  :popcrn: :scratchchin:
Projects: