News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting a new gas tank

Started by denver98, September 19, 2013, 10:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

denver98

I recently bought a new gas tank and I started thinking...I should paint it?  I assume I should and then the question becomes...do I paint it black or the body color?

Thoughts?

4cruzin

I hit mine with a clear coat only as I wanted it to look original and new but still be protected and not bare metal. 
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

six-tee-nine

Hah, difficult one. Most people say leave it as is since they were made that way.

Ok but then you'll end up with a rusty looking tank in 2 years.
If you want it stock looking then paint it silver or clear coat it like 4cruzin wich it a bright idea tostay as close as possible to the original look.

However, I personally HATE the look of that shiny silver tank under these cars because it makes the tank really say "hello everyone I'm here". Mine will be black or very dark gun metal grey if I want something different.
I am not after a factory 100% correct look on every detail.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Finn

I sprayed mine with the same stuff I undercoated the car with. Its essentially like a bed liner. Can't stand that silver bladder just hanging there.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

tsmithae

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: tsmithae on September 19, 2013, 12:43:31 PM
I've heard good things about this, although I haven't used it myself.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-tank-tone-metallic-coating-aerosol-13-oz.html

I used this to cover up my old black tank. It's not bad, its more of a flat finish though. It did make my tank look better but I plan on swapping in a new tank and clearing it. I personally like the look of silver underneath.   :Twocents:  Plus my car sits low enough that you barely notice it.

I don't know if I would paint it body color though, unless its black or silver.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

1974dodgecharger

New repo tanks have a anti rust zink coating slippery like so they dont rusr as fast.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 19, 2013, 02:28:35 PM
New repo tanks have a anti rust zink coating slippery like so they dont rusr as fast.

True, but I painted my new one silver again and painted to gas tank straps red (to match the color of the car).

histoy

I'm not a painter, so I don't paint the new tanks, but I do wax them twice a year to keep them from rusting.

bill440rt

I clear coated all my tanks with a clear coat from Eastwood, Diamond Clear it's called I think. I like the natural look of the plated tank.
The clear keeps it's natural zinc look without looking painted. They still look great, one has been done at least 10 years now.
I've used their Tank Tone before, it's basically just heavily pigmented silver paint.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Quote from: 4cruzin on September 19, 2013, 11:07:08 AM
I hit mine with a clear coat only as I wanted it to look original and new but still be protected and not bare metal. 

Same here.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: histoy on September 19, 2013, 08:00:51 PM
I'm not a painter, so I don't paint the new tanks, but I do wax them twice a year to keep them from rusting.

Do you drop the tank to do this ? :scratchchin:

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Back N Black

I did the top half of the tank with truck bedliner and painted it silver, the bottom half i just use clear coat to prevent rust.

CDN72SE

Quote from: Back N Black on September 20, 2013, 07:26:44 AM
I did the top half of the tank with truck bedliner and painted it silver, the bottom half i just use clear coat to prevent rust.

Like that idea.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

myk

You know what....I think I like that idea too... :scratchchin:
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"