News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Getting White Letter Tyres White Again

Started by JMF, September 19, 2013, 06:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Anyone have any tips on getting white letter tyres back to the new looking white again ? Currently they look a dirty yellowy colour

I know there are pens out there that you can paint on but i've tried this before with mixed results

bill440rt

Try Meguiar's Heavy Duty Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner.
I use this stuff on my white vinyl top, recently started using it on the white letters. I think it works great.  :yesnod:

Westley's Bleche White is also very good, or Spray Nine works well too.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Westley's sold out the Bleache-White product to Black Magic and the formula has since changed and no longer works that well I found for the raised white letters or white walls.  Meguiars since reformulated their wheel and rim cleaner to work on tires and does an amazing job on getting the letters white again.  I think the bottle is a pinkish-purple bottle and has a black spray head on it.

Aside from that, if you have really bad scuffs or stains, a brillo or SOS pad works wonders too.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

I've never tried it with my tires but I know someone who uses paint thinner on his letters.

JMF

Used some white paint on my old Challenger which said on the box it was especially for that purpose, not sure if it's just the same as Tippex, turned out ok but you have to be patient in trying to avoid edging on to the black bits etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGdQzqkG3wA

MSRacing89

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

ODZKing

I use Scrubbing Bubbles (which has bleach in it) for cleaning, and especially tires.  Be careful to not use too much on seats as it will eat away at the threads, but on the tires it works very well.
Doesn't do crap as a bathroom cleaner but for the car ....  :2thumbs:

bull

If you're ok with using water in the process, spray some Simple Green on the tires and let it sit for 30 seconds or so before scrubbing it with a stiff brush and then rinsing. The other day I wanted to clean the letters on my rear Charger tires without using water so I grabbed a Goof-Off wipe and cleaned just the letters. Worked good.

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

70redbee

Spray Nine, an SOS pad, a bucket of water and some elbow grease is the best way I have found to get the letters bright white again. Been doing it this way since I owned my first set of white letters. It's not the easiest but it is the bestest. Have Fun.

GPULLER

If you can find a Malco dealer nearby, check with a car dealer in your area.  Or it looks like you can buy online.  This stuff works great.

http://www.malcoautomotive.com/Whitewall_Cleaner_Concentrate-details.aspx

Paul G

Bleche White still works for me. It has to be sprayed on to a dry tire and scrubbed in and hosed off imediately. Dont let it dry on the tire. If the tire is already wet before you spray, you are just wasting the Bleche White.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

A383Wing

Quote from: Paul G on September 23, 2013, 10:54:58 PM
Bleche White still works for me. It has to be sprayed on to a dry tire and scrubbed in and hosed off imediately. Dont let it dry on the tire. If the tire is already wet before you spray, you are just wasting the Bleche White.

yea..me too

belvedere65

Another one for sos pads! My grandfather was a wise man and that was one of many tricks I learned from him 

fy469rtse

we have a cake of soap over her called solvol used for scrubbing your hands clean, works great on lettering with water of course