News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sun Visor rod length

Started by myk, August 24, 2012, 06:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Hey guys.  One thing I've never addressed on my car are the sunvisor rods-they're too long, and don't slip into the rear view mirror mount like they're obviously designed to do.  Is there a chance I've got the wrong rods or am I just missing something here?  Thanks in advance!

lasvegas69charg

On my visors I have short rods on each side. I thought it was one long rod also. I just pushed in/out on the rod that goes into mount at the rv mirror. Hope this helps.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

Ghoste

Hmm, it seems like the ones in mine are too short and they're the original ones as far as I know.  I had thought there was just one length of them for some reason.

myk

Quote from: lasvegas69charg on August 24, 2012, 10:02:30 AM
On my visors I have short rods on each side. I thought it was one long rod also. I just pushed in/out on the rod that goes into mount at the rv mirror. Hope this helps.

So you're saying that the length is adjustable?

Ghoste

It's adjustable in the sense that you determine how far you want to shove it into the visor.

myk

Maybe it's because it's 1AM but...you're saying that I can adjust the ends of the rods to match the indents for the tips on the rear view mirror mount?

Ghoste

If I am understanding your question correctly, then yes, by tugging on the tip it will come out a little further if needed and by pushing in on it, you can effectively shorten the length.  Not to a huge degree but you cna move it a llittle each way.  It only goes into the visor a couple of inches and its only held in by the tightness of the visor material that envelopes it.

myk

Man I've been staring at those too-long things for years.  I'm going outside to try it RIGHT NOW!!!!

Ghoste

It may be jammed in there pretty good but let us know how you make out.

myk

The right side fits in fine, although I don't remember it ever doing that.  As for the left side, well it's about a 1/4" too long, so I started hammering on it to shorten it up but I stopped because I'm worried about bending the rod and, well, I'm sure some of my neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate that right now, lol... :smilielol: :brickwall:

Ghoste

No, I don't recommend hammering it.  Not at all.

myk

Ghoste

That's what I did.  I need to revisit it because I didn't get them both in that "perfect" spot.

myk

Pbbbb....I bet those things are sun-soldered on there.  I may end up destroying them...

Ghoste

Don't do that. lol  Have you tried spraying any sort of cleaner in there?  I don't know if it would work but it's the only sugggestion that comes to mind.  Sun soldered, yes they likely are and with 40 plus years of it.

myk

I should be able to pull the padded part off, right? That would make it easier to work on the parts I need to adjust...

Ghoste

The rod that hooks into the mirror is just slid into the padded part a couple of inches so yes, you should be able to remove it.

myk

Really?  Only that much?  I'm surprised these things didn't pop out when they were new.  On that note, how much you wanna bet that previous owners probably glued the things together!

Ghoste

They stick in there pretty good and it isn't like there is any pulling forces ever exerted on them.

myk

Hey Ghoste, thanks to you I finally got this sun visor rod length question solved; after one year!  Lol.  Those rods were stuck in there tight-did someone glue them?  I don't know, but I had to place the visor in a vise, put a channel lock on the tip-end of the rod, and then knock on the channel lock until the rod halves came apart.  Now, to find those little knob pieces that go on the ends!

Ghoste

I think you can get them in the repro market. 

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on September 14, 2013, 04:04:27 PM
I think you can get them in the repro market. 

Yes I see, thank you.  The ones I had on were melted onto the tips and I had to scrape them off...

Ghoste

And you know, thats one of those goofy little things that it might not hurt to check at a Dodge dealer too because I bet they used them on everything for a long time.

myk

Thanks for the heads up.  I wonder if I can paint them black...