News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Guage of body sheet metal

Started by AirborneSilva, March 01, 2006, 12:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AirborneSilva

What guage is the sheet metal on the chargers body?  I would like to get me some sheet metal and start practicing my welds but want to get correct guage.

Thanks,
Tony

4402tuff4u

I think it's 11 gauge. I did'nt buy sheet metal, forget that, what I did to practice was, I took a ride behind my local mall and found steel shelves that the department store was throwing away and took them to practice. Even some of the cowling in some appliances or file cabinets are of the same gauge. It worked for me!  :icon_smile_big:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Blown70

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on March 01, 2006, 01:08:15 PM
I think it's 11 gauge. I did'nt buy sheet metal, forget that, what I did to practice was, I took a ride behind my local mall and found steel shelves that the department store was throwing away and took them to practice. Even some of the cowling in some appliances or file cabinets are of the same gauge. It worked for me!  :icon_smile_big:

HAVE YOU SEEN 11.  Try 18 to 20 I would be more prone to think.  11 is a bout 1/8" thick....

Tom

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Blown70 on March 01, 2006, 01:24:20 PM
Quote from: 4402tuff4u on March 01, 2006, 01:08:15 PM

HAVE YOU SEEN 11.  Try 18 to 20 I would be more prone to think.  11 is a bout 1/8" thick....

Tom

Tom, you are right, I meant 21 gauge (.0344") typo error. Thanks for the check.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

AirborneSilva

Thanks to both of you for your replies and yeah I thought that 11 was a bit thick too  :o but can understand cause I make typos, and or have brain farts, all the time  ;D :yesnod:

Blown70

Quote from: AirborneSilva on March 01, 2006, 03:12:34 PM
Thanks to both of you for your replies and yeah I thought that 11 was a bit thick too  :o but can understand cause I make typos, and or have brain farts, all the time  ;D :yesnod:

Well You may have been making a TANK.... m1 A1 abram? LOL

Its ok, I have screwed up myself.  I just was taken back a bit.

Tom

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Blown70 on March 01, 2006, 03:35:17 PM
Quote from: AirborneSilva on March 01, 2006, 03:12:34 PM

Well You may have been making a TANK.... m1 A1 abram? LOL

Tom

I could always use that to roll over those cheby's and ferds  :icon_smile_big:

694spdRT

The good thing about 11 gauge is you don't need to prime or paint it as it might take 50 years to rust through.  ;D

A guy I know used some 16 guage and it was not very easy to work with either.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

hotrod98

Chevy and GMC tailgates are very close to the correct thickness. Sometimes body shops have a few lying around in the scrap pile. With the price of steel, it would be a lot cheaper to cut up one of those damaged tailgates for practice. We keep a few around to make patch panels for these old cars. They already have a slight radius which helps sometimes.  Our scrap guy knows to leave them alone.  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

AirborneSilva

Thanks, I think I know a guy who works in a body shop so I'll see if there is any scrap he can give me to practice on.

Mike DC

I think technically it's 18-guage steel that they started with (about .048" or so), although the panel stamping process often leaves the panels feeling thinner when a hunk of scrap Mopar metal is actually in your hands.  (Stamping panels is mainly an act of stretching the steel.)

18 or 20 guage is fine acceptable patchwork. 

I've gone as thin as 22 guage occasionally on small patches of just a few inches.  My feeling is that it's better to sacrifice the thickness occasionally but have it perfectly fitted & welded in, rather than end up with pieces that don't fit right in the tight places because you're trying to shape a hunk of metal you can't form very well.  (The Charger's rear window areas are a perfect example of this.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you start really paying attention to this stuff, you'll be scratching you head trying to figure out what's different with the various repro panels.  They feel somehow weaker, and yet when you lay the edge of a repro panel next to the old one, it doesn't really look all that different.

It's the alloy content of the metal that's missing on the repros.  Some of the Goodmark stuff is actually pretty thick, but the main difference is the grade of the steel sheets they're using.

hemihead

HSLA (High Strength Low Alloy) Steel is what they use now in cars.It sux.It likes to crack with heat.I think it is because of a lot of carbon in it.
Probably a high percentage of recycled material.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Nacho-RT74

14-16 is original sheet metal...

16-18 for patches.

I think replacement aftermarket patches are 18.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html