News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For those with a Hydroboost Set up

Started by 1970Moparmann, July 28, 2013, 09:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Had a good day until I lost my brakes.   I have a Hydroboost and lost the system today.   The Power Steering fluid was about 1/4 bottle low, but I would be shocked that that is the issue.   Anyone have any ideas on a good progression to troubleshooting?

- Checked for power steering fluid leaks - none
- Checked the hoses - all look good.

I drove about 100 miles today and all was good.  While I was driving, I noticed I was losing some pedal but still had brakes.  Luckily I was pulling into a friends house at the time.  Car sat, started it up, basically nothing.

Thanks for the help guys!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

bill440rt

Whoa, that's not a reassuring feeling.  :scared:

- Have you since topped off the P/S pump, and if so do you have power brakes again?
- Have you checked your M/C, lines, and fittings to see if there is a leak in your brake system? Is your M/C full?
- Have you checked your prop/distribution valves for any leakage?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1970Moparmann

Quote from: bill440rt on July 28, 2013, 10:13:34 PM
Whoa, that's not a reassuring feeling.  :scared:

- Have you since topped off the P/S pump, and if so do you have power brakes again?
- Have you checked your M/C, lines, and fittings to see if there is a leak in your brake system? Is your M/C full?
- Have you checked your prop/distribution valves for any leakage?

No crap!  Luckily I wasn't far from home. I did the above visual checks and since all looked good, I limped it home.

All of the above is negative.   

MSRacing89

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on July 28, 2013, 09:04:18 PM
Had a good day until I lost my brakes.   I have a Hydroboost and lost the system today.   The Power Steering fluid was about 1/4 bottle low, but I would be shocked that that is the issue.   Anyone have any ideas on a good progression to troubleshooting?

I drove about 100 miles today and all was good.  While I was driving, I noticed I was losing some pedal but still had brakes.  Luckily I was pulling into a friends house at the time.  Car sat, started it up, basically nothing.

I am a bit confused, are you saying it came back and started working after it sat?

Did the pedal assist feel like it went away, or did it just go to the floor?  If you lost the Hydraboost then the car would feel like a manual brake car x10.  You should be able to still stop the car, not easily, but you should still have pedal.

If the pedal is going to the floor then you have a brake problem.  Lost a seal in a caliper or brake fitting failure.  I popped a rear seal on caliper with this system.  Have to remember this hydraboost moves a lot a pressure.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: MSRacing89 on July 29, 2013, 10:49:05 AM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on July 28, 2013, 09:04:18 PM

I am a bit confused, are you saying it came back and started working after it sat?

Did the pedal assist feel like it went away, or did it just go to the floor?  If you lost the Hydraboost then the car would feel like a manual brake car x10.  You should be able to still stop the car, not easily, but you should still have pedal.

If the pedal is going to the floor then you have a brake problem.  Lost a seal in a caliper or brake fitting failure.  I popped a rear seal on caliper with this system.  Have to remember this hydraboost moves a lot a pressure.

Pedal is to the ground.  I was going to start in the back disks and work forward.  Thanks for the response, just wanted to get another opinion.   :2thumbs:

MSRacing89

If nothing turns up, go to a new a M/C.  Again, a lot of pressure behind that hydraboost, I suggest a good replacement like Wilwood or some other higher dollar component.

You can crimp the back brakes off at the soft line to the axle housing and see if your pedal comes back.  That may be a quick way to check the rears.

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

1970Moparmann

Great idea.  I have a Willwood MC now, so hopefully that isn't the issue.

xpbprox

When there is a problem with the MC or air in the brake fluid system sometimes I'll see a hydoboost unit just keep the pedal down like what's happening to you. Have to tried to pull the pedal back up

1970Moparmann

Quote from: xpbprox on August 06, 2013, 11:10:11 AM
When there is a problem with the MC or air in the brake fluid system sometimes I'll see a hydoboost unit just keep the pedal down like what's happening to you. Have to tried to pull the pedal back up

Haven't had a chance to look yet.  This Sunday will be mechanic day.   I'll let you know what I come back with.  The brake system has been 100% for 5,000 miles.....

ws23rt

Being low on fluid in the PS pump could have introduced air into the system and the accumulator (the back up for braking if loss of PS pressure) used up its duty. I am forever an optimist.
As to how to bleed the system I am at a loss :shruggy:

tan top

going for a hydroboost set up some time  in the future , thought I would ad this  :shruggy:   remember reading somewhere , to use the proper  power steering  fluid , & not ATF , as the trans fluid can froth up
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bill440rt

Bleeding the system just entails turning the steering wheel lock to lock.
Brake system bleeds with the usual procedure as well.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

xpbprox

Running ATF is fine. Ford recommends running ATF in the P/S system. I believe the system running better on tranny fluid. If you wanted to run a syn fluid, I'd go with Mercon SP

1970Moparmann

Well, I looked at each caliper, all the hoses, re-bled the whole systems and still nothing. :brickwall:  When I worked in the power steering pump again, it did give a good burp of fluid, but still no brakes.  There was definitely air in the system, but after all of this today still no brakes.  I'll call Hydratech tomorrow and see what they suggest.

MSRacing89

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on August 25, 2013, 04:34:29 PM
Well, I looked at each caliper, all the hoses, re-bled the whole systems and still nothing. :brickwall:  When I worked in the power steering pump again, it did give a good burp of fluid, but still no brakes.  There was definitely air in the system, but after all of this today still no brakes.  I'll call Hydratech tomorrow and see what they suggest.

I am going to guess you have an internal M/C failure.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: MSRacing89 on August 26, 2013, 09:43:32 AM

I am going to guess you have an internal M/C failure.

You are correct!  Just changed it out today with the one from Wilwood.  Works great.... :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Good to hear!
You had a Wilwood M/C before? Do you know why it failed? How old was it?

1970Moparmann

Quote from: bill440rt on September 20, 2013, 08:15:44 PM
Good to hear!
You had a Wilwood M/C before? Do you know why it failed? How old was it?

Bill, it was from Asbestos, not Wilwood.  They look almost identical

bill440rt

OK, thanks.
You had shivers going up my spine.  :scared:   :lol: