News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

lca bushing removal and install?

Started by Wicked72, August 20, 2013, 02:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

rebuilding the kframe. i know i need to press in and out the uppers but on the lowers is there anything special about replacing them on my LCAs? pics would be very help full! thanks
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

flyinlow

The pin and inner sleeve are easy to press out.

The outers sleeve is the harder part

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,85003.0.html

or just carefully weld washers to the outer shell that's stuck in the LCA and press it out .

Wicked72

Do I press it all out by pushing the pin toward the torsion key way?

flyinlow

I think I used a section of exhaust pipe to support the LCA with the threaded end of the pin down in the pipe. Then used a 6inch long 1/2" extension under the press ram to push thru the hole at the bottom of the T bar hex way. The pin, inner sleeve and rubber usually pushes out easily.

bull

Remove the rubber, thread the outer shell with a 1 3/8" tap, flip it over and knock it out. This is how Firm Feel does it. You can get the tap for $15 on EBay, or just take it to a machine shop.

Or you can do like I did with my first one and fight it out with a chisel. :brickwall:

375instroke

I've heard to put a washer inside, and hammer the outside lip inward with a chisel or punch to capture the washer inside, then press out against the captured washer.

Wicked72

hemi71x

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=180315

Take the time to read the postings in the above link, over at forabodiesonly.com
It should help you out.
I got involved with a couple of "tips" on how to do that repair.
Good luck.
Jim V.

Good info here also.
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/tipstricks/155_0306_control_arms/viewall.html

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

flyinlow

That tap method looks slick. I will start saving for the tap. Both cars are fresh now, lets see , new bushings every 40 years , 2050's not that far away.  :lol:

Wicked72

the bushing shell i think i can get that out easy enough. does the spindle just slide out by pressing it down toward the torsion bar key way?

flyinlow

see hemi71x moparmuscle link above

Just to make sure we are talking about the same part. You said spindle, earlier I called the LCA shaft a pin. We are talking about pressing the LCA shaft out of the LCA, correct?

There is a hole in bottom of the torsion bar hex fitting that you can press a mandrel (big bolt or 1/2" drive socket extension) thru to push against the back of the LCA shaft ( not the tapered threaded end) to push it out of the LCA bushing. So the LCA would be supported horizontally in your press with the shaft threaded end pointing toward the floor. The press ram would be pumped down to press the mandrel thru the hole in the torsion bar hex  pushing the  LCA shaft down until it falls free and clinks on the floor. I leave the LCA shaft nut on to protect the treads or wrap the treads in duck tape.

Now you will have a LCA with the outer LCA bushing shell press fit/rusted in the LCA. You will have a LCA shaft with the LCA inner sleeve press fit/rusted on it and probably what's left of the rubber bushing as well.

I carefully cut the inner sleeve with die grinder, being careful not to score the LCA shaft. Then air chisel it off.

You said the outer LCA bushing shell still in the LCA would be easy to remove.....so have fun.

Wicked72

ya thats what i needed to know.  hopefully ill have so time today to poke at it. i have a few ideas on how to get that shell out with what i got laying around ill post what i got to work.

six-tee-nine

Buy poly bushings and you can leave the outer shell.... :stirthepot: :stirthepot:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Wicked72

So i finally got to my bushings. i did two sets actually, my car and my buddies 72. Probably took 15 min a bushing and the infamous outer shell was not an issue at all. i did not weld anything to it and no special tools used. i used my sawsall inside of it in two spots with in 1/2 inch of each other then just tapped the top between the cuts and then tapped what was left and it pops right out no sweat and no damage. ill include pics asap

CDN72SE

Looking forward to seeing the pics, I need to do my '72.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

Wicked72

ive been getting home really late from work..im hoping by this weekend ill get the pics up.

flyinlow

:2thumbs:

I have done two sets in the last five years. Hopefully I 'm done for a couple of decades.

bull

Quote from: six-tee-nine on August 23, 2013, 12:17:00 PM
Buy poly bushings and you can leave the outer shell.... :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

The head honcho at the suspension shop that did my alignment told me that poly bushings often don't stay tight inside the shell which wears them out prematurely, which might explain why they install so easily. :shruggy: