News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DAYTONA ragtop best ragtop to start with???

Started by djcarguy, September 10, 2013, 06:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djcarguy

REad lots of threads here with differing opionions, so asking for info on best year an make ragtop to start a     Daytona ragtop project???   
i found a 67 & a 66 belvedere ragtops for sale,someone talked of doing a topless wing car with a 67,iirc?????

superbird ragtop seems very clear as too use a 70 ply sat,or rr?  or 68-69 for a custom look?

seems few different ideas as to coronet or satillite ragtop for a daytona ragtop???

Well  not having any luck buying a charger an with so much repop parts thinking of going with a different car too start a custom Daytona ragtop project.. thanks all good info helpful,thanks again.DJ :popcrn:  :2thumbs:

pettybird

you have lots of crazy ideas.  crazy ideas require one of two things:  crazy talent or crazy money.  If you're loaded, start with a damn Rolls Royce if you want.  If you're talented like Stevarino, get to work.  Assuming that you're nowhere near those extremes, think smaller.

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on September 10, 2013, 09:51:56 AM
you have lots of crazy ideas.  crazy ideas require one of two things:  crazy talent or crazy money.  If you're loaded, start with a damn Rolls Royce if you want.  If you're talented like Stevarino, get to work.  Assuming that you're nowhere near those extremes, think smaller.
i dont have either , but i push on ward    :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Old Moparz

It won't matter whether you use a Coronet or Satellite as the base car since the entire rear clip will need to be custom fabricated. The Charger doors & the entire nose will bolt right onto either convertible.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

nascarxx29

Pete used a 68 satelitte conv.And had to widen door jambs splice to trunk lids together change tail panel etc etc.Find a converted charger and daytona it

http://bodyworks.bluestarperformance.com/gallery24.htm

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Daytona R/T SE

you have lots of crazy ideas.  crazy ideas require one of two things:  crazy talent or crazy money.  If you're loaded, start with a damn Rolls Royce if you want.  If you're talented like Stevarino, get to work.  Assuming that you're nowhere near those extremes, think smaller.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

A383Wing

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 10, 2013, 11:04:53 AM
I won't matter whether you use a Coronet or Satellite as the base car since the entire rear clip will need to be custom fabricated. The Charger doors & the entire nose will bolt right onto either convertible.

I got a decent set of doors for sale up here if ya need 'em

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: moparstuart on September 10, 2013, 10:43:38 AM
you have lots of crazy ideas.  crazy ideas require one of two things:  crazy talent or crazy money.  If you're loaded, start with a damn Rolls Royce if you want.  If you're talented like Stevarino, get to work.  Assuming that you're nowhere near those extremes, think smaller.
i dont have either , but i push on ward    :nana:

that makes 2 of us  :rofl:

richRTSE

Quote..think smaller...

Do you mean smaller like A-body?!?!  :poke:

:icon_smile_big:

pettybird

held1823

almost an onmi ... it would be cool looking without the horrid exhaust tips, or that silly wing slapped on the back.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Mike DC

:Twocents:

Take a good look at some existing Charger convertible buildups before you assume this is a good idea.  

Simply swapping the Charger outer skin panels onto a '68-70 B-body convertible won't come out looking as good as you probably think it will.  The convertible Coronets & Plymouths have taller windshield frames and much different cloth rooflines from the 2dr hardtop B-bodies.

And then there is the issue of what a wing does to the appearance.    Even if you use a hardtop B-body's lower windshield frame and create a cloth top that recreates the C500/Daytona roofline, the wing is still probably gonna look too tall sticking up in back when the top is down.  

---------------------------------------

IMHO the only way the Daytona convertible idea stands a chance at looking good, is maybe if you shortened the Daytona nose & lowered the wing a bit (similar to the Fast & Furious #6 Daytona) and created a removable hardtop based on the stock C500/Daytona's roof shape.  That might have a chance at looking good in person.

petercharger

What about a 3 rd generation charger...we have seen them here with pics and would be better and cheaper...chop,the top :cheers:
best way to get a hold of me is brushcollege@msn.com...thanks

djcarguy

Any one with experience building a charger or daytona convertable using another b body ragtop,that can share some direct info an help??

dont think a omni came in a ragtop ,an i sure wood not start with a RR as it wood cost alot an iam not into furrin cars like a rolls royce  ,funny bit of advice ,thanks . :cheers:

it seems to me a coronet ragtop with the curved top on quarters wood adapt better to charger quarts ??an what about chargers having a longer wheel base than ply b bodies??  thanks  info helpful.latter  :cheers:  DJ

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: djcarguy on September 15, 2013, 06:30:09 AM
Any one with experience building a charger or daytona convertable using another b body ragtop,that can share some direct info an help??

dont think a omni came in a ragtop ,an i sure wood not start with a RR as it wood cost alot an iam not into furrin cars like a rolls royce  ,funny bit of advice ,thanks . :cheers:

it seems to me a coronet ragtop with the curved top on quarters wood adapt better to charger quarts ??an what about chargers having a longer wheel base than ply b bodies??  thanks  info helpful.latter  :cheers:  DJ

Aren't you already building a flip-top-six-door-Dart-Daytona-stretch-limo-ice-cream-truck-

hovercraft-station-wagon-lunar-module-atmospheric-re-entry-vehicle or something ?

How's that coming ?

Have you ever posted any pictures of it ?

I think there are several of us that would like to see it.

A custom convertible is a BIG undertaking.

You need to be a skilled fabricator, or be able to pay for another man's skills.

You have to ask yourself :

AM I up to it ?

Do I have deep enough pockets to pay a custom shop ?

Post pictures of your current project.

A383Wing

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 15, 2013, 07:31:49 AM

Aren't you already building a flip-top-six-door-Dart-Daytona-stretch-limo-ice-cream-truck-

hovercraft-station-wagon-lunar-module-atmospheric-re-entry-vehicle or something ?

How's that coming ?

Found what he's working on  :D

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: A383Wing on September 15, 2013, 09:55:27 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 15, 2013, 07:31:49 AM

How's that coming ?

Found what he's working on  :D

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

A383Wing

Mike DC

Converts again -

As far as I know the Dodge/Plymouth wheelbase difference is in front leaf spring eye brackets.  Chrysler wanted the Dodge brand to have a longer wheelbase than Plymouth just on principle.  The unibodies/subframes weren't different. 

(The E-body wheelbases were structurally different though.  Challys have 2 more inches of floor behind the front seats compared to Cudas.)

As for the quarter panels . . . you're gonna be fabricating & swapping so much Charger metal onto the car that I don't think it matters much about which you start with.  I could be wrong but just look at the donor cars.  Pretty much everything on the outer skin besides the front cowl panel has to change. 

pettybird

Quote from: djcarguy on September 15, 2013, 06:30:09 AM

You said "wood" twice.  Either you meant a) "would" or b) this:

Stevearino

[/quote]

Looking at this car screams "Hey Japan! Come take our car building business. We are too damn lazy to do it anymore."

pettybird

Quote from: Stevearino on September 16, 2013, 07:31:43 PM

Looking at this car screams "Hey Japan! Come take our car building business. We are too damn lazy to do it anymore."
[/quote]

Holy truth.  For full effect, park between a Cimmarron and a Tornado Diesel.