News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

heehee

Started by TK73, March 01, 2006, 01:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Telvis

They said it was abstract art. What's the big deal? Nobody wil notice it.

bull

Can you hear the screaming? It's the kid's mom having a cow and I can hear it all the way from Oregon.

I heard about it on the news last night. Not that the kid doesn't deserve a smack-bottom but you'd think the museum would do a little more to protect a $1.5 million painting. Maybe put a $100 piece of plexiglass over it or something. I know I'd probably go ballistic if some kid stuck a piece of gum to my $25k Charger (once it's worth $25k anyway).

Shakey

My first thought also.  They have had the painting since 1965 and have done nothing to protect it in 40 years.  Fools.

Also, I wonder if the boy would have gotten suspended if he had stuck his chewing gum on another piece of art that was less valuable?

I imagine they suspended him not becasue of the value of the painting he stuck his gum on but because he "vandalized" property. 

If it was an Andy Warhol painting, would they all just have had a good laugh?

Mopar440+6

Quote from: Telvis on March 01, 2006, 01:44:48 AM
They said it was abstract art. What's the big deal? Nobody wil notice it.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

IMO, it's 100% the museum's fault for not doing anything to protect the painting...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

BrianShaughnessy

I'm sure I probably saw it on a field trip or whatever as a kid...  but as to blaming the museum?   Well... let's see... 40 years no problems is a pretty good track record.   How about blaming lazy parent(s) that don't smack a dumbazz kid upside the head for not following the rules?   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

dodgecharger-fan

Like this couldn't use a blob of gum or two...

How is it worth $1.5M??? It looks like the spilled paint on my old basement floor.

Sorry, I do like art. I just don't think this is art...

Dale The Bold

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on March 01, 2006, 12:05:19 PM
If I may get philosophical in an artsy-fartsy kind of way, maybe the randomness of a child sticking gum on the art is what makes it art.  Perhaps what makes something valuable is that it can be destroyed.  There are some artists who create and then destroy a work of art, because to them it's the act of creation that is art, and the same can be said of the act of destruction.  Along that vein, part of what makes a work of art unique is simply that it cannot be created again.

So, I would argue that by removing the gum residue, the museum is ruining a piece of art.  And, in the process, eliminating evidence of an event of cultural significance.  Years from now, people will be saying "Is that the painting that had the gum on it?" but the gum will be long gone.
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"

Shakey

Quote from: Dale The Bold on March 01, 2006, 12:48:07 PM
Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on March 01, 2006, 12:05:19 PM
If I may get philosophical in an artsy-fartsy kind of way, maybe the randomness of a child sticking gum on the art is what makes it art.  Perhaps what makes something valuable is that it can be destroyed.  There are some artists who create and then destroy a work of art, because to them it's the act of creation that is art, and the same can be said of the act of destruction.  Along that vein, part of what makes a work of art unique is simply that it cannot be created again.

So, I would argue that by removing the gum residue, the museum is ruining a piece of art.  And, in the process, eliminating evidence of an event of cultural significance.  Years from now, people will be saying "Is that the painting that had the gum on it?" but the gum will be long gone.

I thought you said you didn't smoke dope!   :D

73dodge

betcha the price goes up to 2 million now that it's a famous work of art made infamous.
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

BigBlockSam

i'm so glad i don't have kids   :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

greenpigs

I should start spilling ink on paper and selling it on Ebay to fund the Chargers re-rebuild.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

my73charger

Quote from: greenpigs on March 01, 2006, 05:56:02 PM
I should start spilling ink on paper and selling it on Ebay to fund the Chargers re-rebuild.

Man that is what I was thinking...I may have more talent than I originally thought...

I have got to wonder how much the color of that painting has changed since it was originally blobbed onto that canvas since it was never covered.  The color they see that the gum left is probably the original color after the age discoloration was peeled off....

Orange_Crush

Quote from: my73charger on March 01, 2006, 06:05:14 PM

Man that is what I was thinking...I may have more talent than I originally thought...

I have got to wonder how much the color of that painting has changed since it was originally blobbed onto that canvas since it was never covered.  The color they see that the gum left is probably the original color after the age discoloration was peeled off....

So if some 12-year-old keys your Charger, it's OK because the car was originally unpainted steel.  All arguments about art aside, the kid defaced something that belongs to someone else.

Jesus Christ ::)
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Big Lebowski

I think they should beat the little shit.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

The Ghoul

Detroit whaaa !!!
the DIA hates glass cases they think it ruens the expearence, or the art, cant remember which...
Serriously, kids do dumb stuff but a 12 year old trying to stick gum to a painting just shows his lack of respect.
Screw the 'its the teachers fault' 'its the DIA's fault' crap!! Thats how little shits like this keep getting away with it the two sides argu about it and forget that you need to teach the kid whats right and whats wrong. and the lession that kid has comming to him sure isnt 'its wrong to hit people'
What ever happened to you did something wrong go cut your switch?

my73charger

Quote from: Orange_Crush on March 01, 2006, 07:36:07 PM
Quote from: my73charger on March 01, 2006, 06:05:14 PM

So if some 12-year-old keys your Charger, it's OK because the car was originally unpainted steel.  All arguments about art aside, the kid defaced something that belongs to someone else.

Jesus Christ ::)

Should have known.  OC TO THE RESCUE!!!  Relax kids do dumb stuff I never said it was right, just making fun of the artwork.  I am sure this kid never thought twice about what he was doing, he was probably showing off for his friends.  In any case I am sure he has learned a lesson in it and the your keying a painted car is really a stretch IMHO.  In any case Jesus has nothing to do with it.

Orange_Crush

Quote from: my73charger on March 01, 2006, 11:06:01 PM

Should have known.  OC TO THE RESCUE!!!  Relax kids do dumb stuff I never said it was right, just making fun of the artwork.  I am sure this kid never thought twice about what he was doing, he was probably showing off for his friends.  In any case I am sure he has learned a lesson in it and the your keying a painted car is really a stretch IMHO.  In any case Jesus has nothing to do with it.

SO...had the kid keyed your car...would your attitude be this blase?  Let's even take it down a notch...had the kid stuck his gum on your car...how would you feel about it.  WOuld you still be saying "Kids do dumb stuff..I'm sure he's learned a lesson...probably showing off for his friends"?

No, you'd be on dodgecharger.com getting suggestions on the most painful way to dismember him.

Is the painting worth 1.5 million?  Probably not (Helen Frankenthaler is still alive.)  But Its probably worth 150,000.00 as that's what Frankenthaler's acrylic on canvas works go for on the art market.  I any case, what the kid did is no different than...say...keying the fender of the superbird at the WPC museum...in fact...the superbird would be easier to fix.

I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

bull

When I saw the painting on TV it looked like a satellite photo of Earth. Anyway, I think the museum should cut the kid's hands off. ;)

my73charger

Quote from: Orange_Crush on March 02, 2006, 09:54:46 AM

SO...had the kid keyed your car...would your attitude be this blase?  Let's even take it down a notch...had the kid stuck his gum on your car...how would you feel about it.  WOuld you still be saying "Kids do dumb stuff..I'm sure he's learned a lesson...probably showing off for his friends"?

No, you'd be on dodgecharger.com getting suggestions on the most painful way to dismember him.

Is the painting worth 1.5 million?  Probably not (Helen Frankenthaler is still alive.)  But Its probably worth 150,000.00 as that's what Frankenthaler's acrylic on canvas works go for on the art market.  I any case, what the kid did is no different than...say...keying the fender of the superbird at the WPC museum...in fact...the superbird would be easier to fix.

Your wrong.  I wouldn't be on this board looking for suggestions to hurt the kid.  I have 4 kids and I would never seek to hurt a kid, especially a 12 year old.  Actually my car was keyed at a HS football game that I attended to watch my daughter cheer.  I never sought to find the culprit cause I know how disrespectful kids can be.  The damage was done and there was nothing I could do.  I took my car home and repaired the area as best as I could.  End of story.  I am by no means suggesting the kid should be let off the hook at all.  I am sure he has been dealt with.  You obviously have never made a mistake.  What would you suggest they do with this Menace to the Art world?  You seem to have all the answers on nearly every subject from what I can tell.

BigBlockSam

boil the little bastard in oil
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Orange_Crush

Quote from: my73charger on March 02, 2006, 10:55:16 AM
Quote from: Orange_Crush on March 02, 2006, 09:54:46 AM

Your wrong.  I wouldn't be on this board looking for suggestions to hurt the kid.  I have 4 kids and I would never seek to hurt a kid, especially a 12 year old.  Actually my car was keyed at a HS football game that I attended to watch my daughter cheer.  I never sought to find the culprit cause I know how disrespectful kids can be.  The damage was done and there was nothing I could do.  I took my car home and repaired the area as best as I could.  End of story.  I am by no means suggesting the kid should be let off the hook at all.  I am sure he has been dealt with.  You obviously have never made a mistake.  What would you suggest they do with this Menace to the Art world?  You seem to have all the answers on nearly every subject from what I can tell.

Not all of them...just most of them.

At twelve, I knew better...had the kid been eight, I'd be much more forgiving.  Sure, at 12 you have a messed up sense of the magnitude of your actions and you'll do some dumb crap just to show off.  But the kid (his parents, actually) need to be responsible for the cost of the restoration.

My problem is not with that.

My problem is with the fact that many in the thread seem to be very forgiving when a kid does this to a piece of art because...its just art.  Had the kid done this to their car or house...they'd be calling for his head.  If you would not do that, then I apologize for misjudging you.

Johnny SixPack

Maybe they should just use the kid as part of a modern art exhibit.  ???

Have him stand/sit in place of the painting and allow the public to stick gum on him instead. :shruggy:

Of course he'd be clothed, and in the interest of not being completely sadistic he could wear one of those plastic food-service hair covers, but it might still teach him a lesson.  :icon_smile_wink:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

BigBlockSam

then we could throw darts at him. that would be cool  :icon_smile_cool:

Orange_Crush

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 02, 2006, 02:32:55 PM
then we could throw darts at him. that would be cool  :icon_smile_cool:

I'm a pretty strong guy and I can only PUSH a Dart...you must be a monster.