News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

different colored alternator field windings?

Started by resq302, September 08, 2013, 06:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

While searching on ebay the other day, I came across a NOS chrysler alternator field winding (part that is sandwiched together with the casings of the alternator) and it was a green color winding.  Having the one I am working on apart, I noticed that mine had red windings.  Is there any reason for a specific color?  Maybe amp ratings?  I also seem to recall a chart somewhere where the inspection mark color on the area of the pos. post on the alternator meant a certain amp rating.

Has anyone else heard of this?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

flyinlow

Back in the day when I worked at a Chrysler-Plymouth Dealership we stocked dozens of alternators with different colored windings. When the car was sold the new car prep guys would install the appropriate alternator depending on the buyer.

Red-      long time Dodge owner
Blue-     long time Plymouth owner
Salmon- female
pink-     hot female
white-    virgin
black-    former Ford or Chevy owner, Probationary winding, could be exchanger for red or blue winding at the end of the 12/12000 warranty
purple-  alternative lifestyle fella
green-   sold within one week of St Patrick's day or to anyone who really liked green beer
Copper- Scottish or Dutch
Gold-     German or Jewish
Grey-     customers who worked for annoying government agency's (IRS,EPA,etc)  non- functional winding

Hope this helps.  :lol:

resq302

Everyones a comedian!   :lol: 

Reason I asked is cause the windings on my alternator that I am rebuilding is red vs. the green windings that I saw on Ebay for an NOS one.  I also remember seeing that a lot of them have an orange paint mark on the flat boss area near the pos. stud.  But then I have also seen different colored inspection marks, such as Dave Walden's alternator on his Valiant which had a yellow sprayed on mark.  Just was curious if any of these colors or parts meant anything.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Pete in NH

Hi Brian,

Those windings that get sandwiched between the end casings are the stator windings of the alternator. These windings of which there are three, produce three phase AC which is then changed to DC by the diodes in the alternator. These stator windings are wound with wire called magnet wire which at one time was coated with an enamel varnish that had a deep redish-brown color. True enamel varnish tended to crack with age and heat after a number of years and also didn't have the greatest abrasion resistance. For quite a few years now a newer insulating varnish called Formvar has been used which ages better and has much better abrasion resistance. Formvar comes in different colors. When you see different color windings it just means the magnet wire maker used whatever Formvar they got a hold of. Green is quite common as is a sort of medium orange/red color.

flyinlow

At the dealer end of the pipeline I never heard of it meaning anything. If we replaced one it was model, year ,engine , AC, and how many belt pulley at the parts counter.

resq302

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply.  I know the outer metal plates that the stator windings go through got that varnish color to it but the actual winding wire had me puzzled.  The magnet wire color on mine is more of a burgundy red color vs. the forest green color that was on Ebay.  I wasn't sure if that was what produced the different amp ratings which could have explained why they were the different colors.  When I restore the stator windings, should the inside of the stator where the rotating shaft would be be bare metal or would you think the whole thing got dipped in that varnish color?  I would imagine it would have been completely covered to prevent rusting.

Thank you though as that explained a lot.  I have rebuilt alternators and starters before but never really fully understood what the components actually did or their proper names.  Its funny that when you get into a low production number car and you start searching for correct dated parts, you get fascinated with the smaller details of things such as this.  But, hey, stuff like this gets me to researching it more and gets me to learn more about these cars!
Brian

Pete in NH

Brian,

I'm not sure how they finished off the stator windings and cores or the field assembly. One very common technique in magnetic assemblies like them wound be to dip them in an insulating varnish and then put them in a vacuum chamber. When the air was removed from the chamber, the varnish would be drawn into the windings and core material. This would produce a rigid insulated assembly. again, I'm not sure how they did these alternators but, the vacuum varnish technique is very common on electronic transformers and motors.

As you're dissembling an alternator you might want to look and see if it shows signs of being dipped in varnish.

resq302

The stator shows no signs of having any varnish  on it but it seems to have been rebuilt at some point and they painted over the casing so the windings have some silver over spray on it.  The casings are in fantastic condition finish wise.  Nice smooth casting and has not been shot blasted from what I can tell with any kind of abrasive media.  The end bearing has been replaced as there is no raised ring like would be there from the factory.  Also, the Motorola part number, date code, and logo stamping on the diodes are not there either.  Again, further evidence that it has been rebuilt.  The rotor (is that what it is called?) that is the actual moving part inside does seem to be completely covered in the amber brown varnish completely with the exception of the shafts.
Brian

John_Kunkel

I've seen green, red and natural steel stators...always wondered if it just a "different vendors" thing or if it has some meaning. Since the stator has a lot to do with amperage output, maybe different colors ID the amperage.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

resq302

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 08, 2013, 05:36:21 PM

I've seen green, red and natural steel stators...always wondered if it just a "different vendors" thing or if it has some meaning. Since the stator has a lot to do with amperage output, maybe different colors ID the amperage.  :shruggy:

Thats what I was wondering.  Same with the color of the inspection mark if that designated certain amp colors like orange was a certain amp.  :shruggy: :shruggy:
Brian