News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another General Lee Wannabe

Started by TruckDriver, September 07, 2013, 03:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

But you proved it with an "I told you so"  :eyes:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 14, 2013, 12:29:09 AM
But you proved it with an "I told you so"  :eyes:

No I didn't. Copper has far better electrical conductivity than solder. Stranded copper wires without solder are far more flexible than soldered wires; soldered wires are easy to break simply by bending back and forth a few times. Both of those things are facts, in dispute by no credible source.

Electricity flows from a stranded copper wire into a crimped on copper connector by the same method that electricity flows from strand to strand within the wire itself, i.e., via tight surface-to-surface contact.

If you have an argument for why a soldered splice is better than a crimped connector, then present it. Given that the former is less durable and has higher resistance than the latter, coming up with a valid argument will be a tough row to hoe.

JB400

X2 :eyes: :eyes:

I hate repeating myself ::)    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usX9KRhgYnE

Who hoes rows anymore?   :popcrn:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 14, 2013, 12:57:22 AM

I hate repeating myself ::)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usX9KRhgYnE

A link is not an argument. You've had three chances to present an argument and you haven't. Additionally, you have failed to refute anything I have said. In other words, your tacit concession is noted.

Fred

Are hoes for rowing? I prefer boats.  :icon_smile_big:  And so do the monkeys otherwise there'd be no point to them having paddles.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Fred

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 14, 2013, 01:01:47 AM

A link is not an argument. You've had three chances to present an argument and you haven't. Additionally, you have failed to refute anything I have said. In other words, your tacit concession is noted.

May I ask.............who comes on here to argue?

JB400

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 14, 2013, 01:01:47 AM

I wasn't looking for an argument.  I was looking for a visual proof, something you have lacked thus far.  If I want to argue with someone, I'll go talk to a gal pal.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 14, 2013, 01:06:11 AM
I wasn't looking for an argument.  I was looking for a visual proof, something you have lacked thus far.  

You are placing your ignorance on public display by asking for proof that copper is a better conductor than solder, or that soldered wire is far more brittle than unsoldered wire.

Educate yourself - http://www.avoutlet.com/images/product/additional/f/iacs_of_metals_n_solder.pdf

The various solder alloys range from ~12% to ~14% of the conductivity of copper, i.e., copper is ~7 to ~8 times more conductive than solder.

As for a soldered wire being relatively brittle, anyone who would question this clearly has little-to-no experience with solder.

QuoteIf I want to argue with someone, I'll go talk to a gal pal.

Comical irony again, given that you have attempted to argue plenty on this thread and others.

Your tacit concession remains noted.

JB400

You wasted your time proving nothing.  Everyone knows that copper is better without a connection in it, but that's not the original statement in question, now is it?  I have reason to believe that you're trying to side step the original statement.

JB400

I find it funny as well that you state comical ironies, but yet you claim you don't show emotion in words.  A claim that I have proven false in the past.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 14, 2013, 01:35:26 AM
You wasted your time proving nothing.  Everyone knows that copper is better without a connection in it, but that's not the original statement in question, now is it?  I have reason to believe that you're trying to side step the original statement.

A properly crimped copper connector is the exact same type of electrical connection as the electrical connection that exists between the individual strands of copper wire contained in the surrounding insulation (surface-to-surface). It is actually a better connection, because it is tighter, to the point of a cold weld.

The video you linked to was laughable. For starters he compared two crimps (one on each side of the butt connector) to one soldered connection. An "apples to apples" comparison would have been to use one crimp, i.e., a parallel connector. On top of that, his crimps were crappy, done with those dollar-store "crimpers" in the football-shaped crimping nests which results in something which barely qualifies as a crimp. I use the word "proper" for a reason when referring to crimps, and proper crimps don't include what he did.

And then there was the test itself, which inherently can't tell you anything meaningful. It was done with a multimeter, which generates practically no load, on a very short section of 16 or 18 gauge wire. That length and thickness of wire is extreme overkill for such tiny current that it could have been made from any decent conductor, even steel, and given the same results with that not-exactly-NASA-grade multimeter of his.

Quote"Three intermetallic compounds (Cu6Sn5, Cu3Sn, and Ni3Sn4) commonly found in solder joints have been prepared by gas atomization and then consolidated into bulk forms with microstructures similar to those observed in actual joints."

[...]

"While solder is a relatively good electrical conductor, intermetallics have often been found to be poor in this regard."

http://www.metallurgy.nist.gov/mechanical_properties/solder_paper.html

The intermetallic compounds are formed at the alloying points of the solder and copper, which in a stranded wire, encompasses each of the individual strands within the range of the solder joint. So at these points where copper (100% IACS) once was, you now have intermetallic compounds that are poor electrical conductors in comparison to solder (~12% IACS), which itself is a poor conductor in comparison to copper.

The idea that you could improve the conductivity of a tight copper-to-copper connection by alloying solder with it which is a vastly inferior conductor, and which produces intermetallic compounds which are even worse conductors, is utterly absurd. Why don't don't you try to improve the conductivity of all your copper wiring and crimped copper terminals in your car by tinning everything with solder?

I find it funny as well that you state comical ironies, but yet you claim you don't show emotion in words.  A claim that I have proven false in the past.

Oh, there is plenty of comedy to be found online. I guess you don't understand what it means when someone says they are not emotionally invested.  

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 14, 2013, 01:41:01 AM
I find it funny as well that you state comical ironies, but yet you claim you don't show emotion in words.  A claim that I have proven false in the past.

Tell him you're not tacit concessioning to anything, not until you've read the fine print and that may take a while seeing as how I've borrowed your specs.

CairnsGeneral

I should'nt stoop to your level Maximus, but let me retort, by breaking down your breakdown.

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 13, 2013, 01:02:43 PM
Quote from: CairnsGeneral on September 13, 2013, 06:12:08 AM

"Ha ha. Maximumrecoil ? It should be Maximumreflux  :RantExplode:

In reality (as opposed to you and some others' reading disability-fueled version of "reality"), there is no "maximum" about it.

Ok, you got me, I admit it, i misspelled your name. But see what I did there ? I admitted my mistake, I admitted I was wrong. its actually kinda a nice feeling you should try it sometime.

QuoteGo back to the beginning and you are simply stating the obvious

QuoteNo, it is not obvious to most people, given that more often than not, the door numbers on homemade "General Lees" are way off. It is only somewhat recently with the availability of premade "General Lee" graphics from places like Phoenix Graphics, that accurate graphics have become more common.

Hmmm sounds fishy that statement. Lets break it down then and use the door numbers as a cross reference. I say you are stating the obvious and you reply by saying (and you can't deny you said this because its right there for everyone to see)

"No, it is not obvious to most people" regarding the ability to recognize inaccurate door numbers found on many home made general lees. Correct ? sure is, its right there.
Now lets all go back to the start, to your prior statement.

QuoteI think it would be more fun to drive around in a car that is simply a weathered '68 Coronet than something that is first and foremost recognizable as a laughably bad attempt at a "General Lee", even by people that don't really know cars.

Broken down, " is first and foremost recognizable as a laughably bad attempt at a "General Lee", even by people that don't really know cars.

Broken down, " is recognizable, even by people that dont really know cars"

Broken down, is recognizable = is obvious........even by people = most people

Broken down, is obvious to most people................So therefore......like I said...... you are stating the obvious.

But not only that, you have said both is obvious to most people & not obvious to most people, that is called contradicting one's self. Does the bold help ?

Quote(women are well known for this too),

Negated by your false premise (see above). By the way, women are well known for meandering, irrelevant, emotional editorials (as opposed to true arguments), you know, like you just posted.[/quote]

Yes thats true, they are, and this is indeed a meandering, irrelevant, emotional editorial, but you are here too  :nana: with the most to say about everything, to everyone.  

Quotefollowed by a barrage of linguistic nonsense in an attempt to save face.

Your baseless assertion is dismissed, and you clearly don't know what the term "save face" means. One has to first make an error in order to be in a position to "save face". [/quote]

Baseless ? you could base it on the fact that practically everyone who has posted here has mentioned the cacophony of drivel you have exuded. Save face ? Surely you must realize that so many people here are opposing you with none supporting you ? Statistically that means you are wrong, have made an error, and safe to say you are in a position of having to save face.

QuoteGo back to the beginning and read what stroker400 wedge says :coolgleamA: , something along the lines of " Maybe he/they were just having some fun"  :2thumbs:

QuoteI already read what he said, obviously, given that I quoted and replied to it.

Translated = "I know you are, I said you are, so what am I ?"

QuoteChill out broseph !

QuoteIrony alert.

This one's easy. You clearly show no understanding of the true meaning of irony. In fact I would go so far as to say that Alaniss Morrisette has a better understanding and she has no idea !

You are saying that it is ironic for me to tell you to chill out..........

Remember this is only my second post in this thread. Whats your count up to? How many people are you "conversing" with ? What tone can be found in all of your posts ? Why did you take this entire conversation from your opinion of the car in the pic, to solder vs crimping.

Taking this all into account, the irony lies with you suggesting that I am the one that needs to chill out

Aaaaaannd que Nelson laugh (Simpsons) Haa ha !!   :hah:
[/quote]

djcarguy

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 13, 2013, 10:54:25 PM
Here you go DJ :cheers: Volleyball cheerleaders.  Maybe you should start watching it.

THANKS,GREAT POST. Finally something worth looking at on this thread.  :D :2thumbs:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: CairnsGeneral on September 14, 2013, 06:20:58 AM
I should'nt stoop to your level Maximus, but let me retort, by breaking down your breakdown.

In reality you're attempting to reach up to my level by quoting and attempting to form actual arguments. This is a higher level than your previous post, which was childish emotionalism.

Ok, you got me, I admit it, i misspelled your name. But see what I did there ? I admitted my mistake, I admitted I was wrong. its actually kinda a nice feeling you should try it sometime.

I do admit when I'm wrong. What of it?

Hmmm sounds fishy that statement. Lets break it down then and use the door numbers as a cross reference. I say you are stating the obvious and you reply by saying (and you can't deny you said this because its right there for everyone to see)

"No, it is not obvious to most people" regarding the ability to recognize inaccurate door numbers found on many home made general lees. Correct ? sure is, its right there.
Now lets all go back to the start, to your prior statement.

QuoteI think it would be more fun to drive around in a car that is simply a weathered '68 Coronet than something that is first and foremost recognizable as a laughably bad attempt at a "General Lee", even by people that don't really know cars.

Broken down, " is first and foremost recognizable as a laughably bad attempt at a "General Lee", even by people that don't really know cars.

Broken down, " is recognizable, even by people that dont really know cars"

Broken down, is recognizable = is obvious........even by people = most people

Broken down, is obvious to most people................So therefore......like I said...... you are stating the obvious.

But not only that, you have said both is obvious to most people & not obvious to most people, that is called contradicting one's self. Does the bold help ?

It "is first and foremost recognizable as a laughably bad attempt at a 'General Lee', even by people that don't really know cars" because it is ... the wrong model/bodystyle of car. That part is obvious to most people. The door numbers being wrong (which was the point of my original post) is not obvious to most people. Transplant those exact door numbers to an orange '69 Charger and most people wouldn't notice anything wrong with it.

Yes thats true, they are, and this is indeed a meandering, irrelevant, emotional editorial, but you are here too  :nana: with the most to say about everything, to everyone.  

Except, I don't post meandering, irrelevant, and emotional editorials. In fact, I don't post editorials at all in response to arguments.

Baseless ? you could base it on the fact that practically everyone who has posted here has mentioned the cacophony of drivel you have exuded.

No:

adjective: baseless

1. without foundation in fact.

Baseless assertions from others do not form a valid basis for additional baseless assertions, obviously.

QuoteSave face ? Surely you must realize that so many people here are opposing you with none supporting you ? Statistically that means you are wrong, have made an error, and safe to say you are in a position of having to save face. [/color]

"Statistically" it means no such thing. This is a logical fallacy known as Argumentum ad populum, AKA: Appeal to Popularity, AKA: The Bandwagon Fallacy, AKA: Argument by Consensus, AKA: Authority of the Many, and as such, it is dismissed out of hand. In order for you to establish an error on my part, you must come up with a valid argument and/or citation which demonstrates the error.

QuoteI already read what he said, obviously, given that I quoted and replied to it.

Translated = "I know you are, I said you are, so what am I ?"

Say what? The saying: "I know you are, I said you are, so what am I?" doesn't have any relationship whatsoever to what I typed. You suggested I read something that I'd obviously already read, and I pointed out this fact. Now I'm going to suggest a remedial reading comprehension class for you. Your hilariously out-of-left-field "translation" is dismissed.

This one's easy. You clearly show no understanding of the true meaning of irony. In fact I would go so far as to say that Alaniss Morrisette has a better understanding and she has no idea !

You are saying that it is ironic for me to tell you to chill out..........

This is even more comical irony. You told me to "chill out", while you are the one that had just gotten worked enough up over words on a screen to pound out an emotional ranting editorial on your keyboard. Meanwhile, there is nothing to suggest I have gotten emotionally worked up over anything. This is not only irony, but it is a textbook example of it, and of course, you now suggesting that I "clearly show no understanding of the true meaning of irony" is the "even more comical irony" that I just mentioned.

QuoteRemember this is only my second post in this thread. Whats your count up to? How many people are you "conversing" with ? What tone can be found in all of your posts ?

Your first sentence is irrelevant, and your following questions are as well. Provide a valid basis for those questions and I'll answer them.

QuoteWhy did you take this entire conversation from your opinion of the car in the pic, to solder vs crimping.

Read the thread and see if you can connect the dots for yourself. It isn't rocket science to figure out. Hint: I didn't take the conversation to "solder vs crimping". I mentioned the misconception as an example of what I was talking about. Someone else took issue with it, and an argument on that topic was started.

QuoteTaking this all into account, the irony lies with you suggesting that I am the one that needs to chill out

And more comical irony from you. See above. By the way, I never suggested that you need to "chill out", because I couldn't care less about your emotional state. I merely pointed out the irony of someone demonstrating a heightened emotional state, telling someone who is not demonstrating a heightened emotional state, to "chill out".

richRTSE

QuoteI've used the same username for about a dozen years, regardless of which forum I'm on. It is a reference to Hiram Maxim and his most famous invention, the recoil-operated machine gun. Maxim was from my father's hometown and he test-fired his machine gun prototype into the lake in my hometown, and a deactivated Maxim machine gun is in our local museum, or at least it was when I was a kid.

Ahhhh...so you're from England? From what I've read, that is where Sir Hiram Maxim built and tested his Maxim machine gun....is that correct?

A383Wing

Quote from: 69finder on September 13, 2013, 11:51:45 PM

I didn't read all your posts or even half them, but I personally think you're a douchebag.  In real life I'm sure you're a douchebag as well.

We can take a vote on this one.  Who here thinks maximumrecoil is a douchebag?  

yup.....I bet he wouldn't last 5 posts on Moparts with his attitude

MaximRecoil

Quote from: richRTSE on September 14, 2013, 04:33:43 PM
QuoteI've used the same username for about a dozen years, regardless of which forum I'm on. It is a reference to Hiram Maxim and his most famous invention, the recoil-operated machine gun. Maxim was from my father's hometown and he test-fired his machine gun prototype into the lake in my hometown, and a deactivated Maxim machine gun is in our local museum, or at least it was when I was a kid.

Ahhhh...so you're from England? From what I've read, that is where Sir Hiram Maxim built and tested his Maxim machine gun....is that correct?

No, I'm from Maine. Maxim was from Sangerville, Maine, my father's hometown. He fired his machine gun into Lake Wassookeag in my hometown of Dexter, Maine, which is about a 15 minute drive from Sangerville:

QuoteA Historical Demonstration

A historical demonstration right beside 'our old float bridge' in the year 1890. It was on the rise of land just this side of the float bridge that Sir Hiram Maxim gave his first demonstration of his automatic machine gun in 1890, while he and his wife were visiting Sir Hiram's cousin, the late Mrs. Caroline True of this town.

It was a great day for the town of Dexter. Sir Hiram Maxim having learned his trade in this town, had many friends here in this section. Early in the day the town was filled with teams (horses & wagons) and families from the countryside afar, to witness the demonstration. The gun was set on the hillside, this side of the float bridge, next to the town, and Sir Hiram himself exploded the first cartridge. Later Mrs. Bryant, the oldest person present was given the privilege, after which Mrs. True, Sir Hiram's cousin, fired the gun.

The day was one long to be remembered by those who attended. The rapid fire of the bullets into Lake Wassookeag, the splashing of the water as they struck within feet of our historic old float bridge, are remembered with enthusiasm by those attending. Little did they realize, however, how valuable an invention their friend, Sir Hiram Maxim had really made.

You can also read this old Bangor Daily News article for more details - link.

Maxim had a lot of ties with Dexter, possibly more than he had with Sangerville.

Quote from: A383Wing on September 14, 2013, 04:56:05 PM

yup.....I bet he wouldn't last 5 posts on Moparts with his attitude

And what "attitude" is that? The one that is commensurate with the "attitude" of whoever I'm replying to? You won't find a single example on this forum of me replying in an uncivil manner to a civil post. People tend to get comically irrational when they are losing an argument and/or their "buddy" is losing an argument. They much prefer to be able to make dubious claims without anyone calling them on it; i.e., just accepting it as Gospel; you know, like with your dubious claims with regard to using a relay in a Mopar HEI conversion.

bill440rt

Jeez, 6 pages of this drivel already??

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Fred

Quote from: bill440rt on September 14, 2013, 08:25:43 PM

We need ducks!  And where on earth is Jim. surely not still on his honeymoon?

MaximRecoil

And you just added to it; not with anything relevant mind you, but rather just to complain; apparently due to the great distress you are experiencing on account of this thread being forced upon your sensitive eyes and delicate constitution. I wish you a speedy recovery from this traumatic experience.

ws23rt

Remember Jumper?---One of those threads went 18 pages :shruggy:

At least this contamination is mostly confined to this thread.  And the readers don't have to side step so much to get where they want to go.
If he was doing this on many threads it would be sorta like walking through a cow pasture :eek2:

A383Wing

300 million sperm and this is the one that got through...

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on September 14, 2013, 09:23:47 PM
Remember Jumper?---One of those threads went 18 pages :shruggy:

At least this contamination is mostly confined to this thread.  And the readers don't have to side step so much to get where they want to go.
If he was doing this on many threads it would be sorta like walking through a cow pasture :eek2:

"He"? It takes more than one person, obviously. For example, in this thread you have admitted to being a "troll".

So here's the fixed version:

If ws23rt, stroker400 wedge, A383Wing, djcarguy, Fred, CairnsGeneral, 69finder, Back N Black, Cooter, bill440rt, and MaximRecoil were doing this on many threads it would be sorta like walking through a cow pasture

Quote from: A383Wing on September 14, 2013, 09:31:31 PM
300 million sperm and this is the one that got through...

^^^ Case in point.