News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question for you techs out there....

Started by RECHRGD, September 07, 2013, 12:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I'm trying to help my daughter out that lives far away.  Her 2005 grand caravan's tranny has been acting funny.  She had it flushed last January per recommendation from the shop she was having it serviced at.  She had no problems with the car at this time.  Recently, it has started to occasionally shift hard and not shift when it needs to.  I'm not a fan of tranny flushes.  I told her to have them drop the pan, change the filter and be sure to use ATF+4 fluid.  I just want to see if that helps before they sell her a new tranny.  She was quoted $250.00 to do this.  Researched it and found that it's a very straight forward job that looks like it could easily be done in an hour or less with about $40.00+ in parts.  I did more searches and found that some people had been quoted up to $400.00 for the same job.  I then looked into average wages for the Techs at these chain places versus what the shop charges.  Techs seem to be anywhere from $10.00 to $25.00 per hour and shops are $75.00 to $125.00 per hour.  I know how flat rate book hours can send the cost out of line.  But, how do these shops get away with these ridicules mark ups?  I was in contracting for most of my working career and if I ever quoted more than 10 or 15% over cost and overhead I Would not be competitive and lose the job.  There certainly seems to be plenty of competion out there to keep prices in line.  What am I missing here?  It just seems to me that the Techs are getting ripped off by the shops and, in turn, the shops rip off the customers.
13.53 @ 105.32

cdr

you are correct, techs are getting hosed,price out the parts from the dealer,cheap aftermarket filters & pan gaskets are JUNK!!! it should be 1 hour plus parts IMHO.

PARTS mark up in the auto industry is from X 1.25 to 2.5 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

2Luke2

Maybe she lives close enough to someone here who can help her out or maybe they know someone close by that won't try to rip her off.

RECHRGD

She has a tight schedule and really can't look around much.  My main concern is how do these shops get away with this?
13.53 @ 105.32

JB400

Because of a lack of competition.  No one has a shop that is willing to do it cheaper.  Of course, with the rules and regulations, as well as insurance, changing lately, markups have to be high.

It used to be that a regular person could do a lot of their own maintenance.  But, since the auto manufacturers have changed the equipment, it takes special tools and someone trained to do the required task.

resq302

which is another reason why I am hesitant in getting a newer vehicle that my 2007! 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

RECHRGD

I agree that the newer cars require special tools and equipment for certain tasks, but this didn't fall into that category.
13.53 @ 105.32

resq302

not even that.  They are making it so you can't even check the level of the trans fluid.  My dads newer 09 F150 doesn't even have a dip stick for the trans.  Forget even trying to add fluid to it.  Same with the newer Chrysler mini vans!  What happens if you need to add fluid or have a small leak?  They are forcing you to bring it to the dealer anymore!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

myk

Quote from: resq302 on September 07, 2013, 01:44:29 PM
which is another reason why I am hesitant in getting a newer vehicle that my 2007! 

Took a peek in the engine bay of a friend's 2011 Ford Fusion Sport and I told him if he ever needs help working on it to give NASA a call.

'OP too bad about the flush-I hate those things as well.  Even when I worked at a lube shop I never recommended them, because flushing an older 'trans usually spells doom for that unit, especially if it wasn't maintained before.  I hope everything works out for your daughter...

cudaken

While I was working for a well know National company that sales Tires and Battery's we charged $139.00 for the flush. But, if there was not a dipstick we would pass! The flush machine would only put in what it took out.

There are sight holes on some cars to check the ATF, but not all of them. :shruggy:

Yep, it this seems like the Car Company's way to forces the owner to come to them!  :eek2: Whats next, no dipsticks? :eek2:

By the way, if you happen to go where I uses to work, have the trans flushed and it cooked, you get a new Tran's with a little fighting with them!

Cuda Ken
I am back

Cooter

Quote from: RECHRGD on September 07, 2013, 01:47:57 PM
I agree that the newer cars require special tools and equipment for certain tasks, but this didn't fall into that category.
Have you been on the Snap On truck lately?  There's cheaper tools out there. I have used them. I have also stripped, broken, and rendered useless some them. Why is wrench from Snap On $55.00, when advance auto has them for $11.00 each???
That flush machine they use to flush out trans is a 1to1 meaning one quart out equals one in.
Have you priced them??? Try $5k...why so much when all you really need is 5gallon bucket and a case of fluid????

Just like when you were pricing a job out. Sure that guy down the street came in lower on bid, but do you really think hes doingbthe same quality work??? Cmon guys..... I don't know bout you guys, but I don't want the cheapest turd working on my junk. Hes that low for a reason. I cannot believe the public believes that he came in lower to keep competition and is doing the same quality of work. They are not. But, you cannot tell anybody this until they've gotten hosed a couple times by "low bidders".   oh, by the way the transmission acting funny in that caravan, aint no flush going to fix that. Most likely, its the solenoid pack. There , a tech that didn't charge you nothing to tell you about your trans. Those things are junk. We (Aamco) rebuild about two a week.

The problem I have with the public is the Internet. People will beleve a total stranger that posted on FB  about whats wrong with their car and refuse to accept a proper diagnosis. Then, will want to argue with a pro. I have no patience with these types. They are bottom feeders.
Bout the only thing worse are the idiots that always ask "well what do you think is wrong with my car for free, so I can just get 'Jethro' my retarded cousin to do the work, screw it all up to be damned, then come back to you and whine about how much you want to charge me"
Types...um yeah, I get paid for what I know, NOT what I do....sure replacing the problem part is an easy job....its figuring out what needs replacing is where the money is.  This how it is at Honest shops. No, we will not diagnose your car for free so you can just do the repair yourself for cheap. That's how we pay the bills.
Dishonest shops are another thing, but they ain't gonna do it cheap either.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

there are cars out today with no transmission dip sticks mercedes-benz has been this way for at least 5 years. No you will not get the transmission flushed and blame the shop as they were ruined it by flushing your trains. many transmission shops and dealerships, have already got this figured out.. if you do not take care of it for a hundred fifty thousand miles and then you want to flush it once a problem occurs they go over that with you long before they flush it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

RECHRGD

Cooter, I'm sick of your ridicules comments with regards to a simple post.  Try to re-read my original post and comment tomorrow when you sober up...
13.53 @ 105.32

Cooter

for all you guys who just love 2004 through 2006 forward 3 valve 4.6 and 5.4 v8 engines, it is not uncommon to see $700 plug changes. This is due in part to Ford's wonderful engineering on two piece spark plugs. They break off in the cylinder head and it requires a $375 tool phone snap-on only in order to remove broken plugs. had a customer a couple months ago with one of these trucks. Hehe about passed out when he heard the labor to replace all 8 plugs six of which broke off. Explained about how he can change aight plugs in no time at all, wondered why it was so much at our shop. Had no clue what he was talking about. And there's numerous threads about this issue on numerous Google searches

A383Wing

When I worked at "Brand ABC" shop over 10 years ago, we had one of them tranny flush machines..I tried it out on my 88 Reliant that had crappy fluid in it...hooked it up to the tranny lines, and filled the machine with new fluid. Started the engine and let the machine do the rest...you could see the dark fluid leave and the new fluid go down...when all was done, the fluid in the trans was nice & clean...stayed that way since...I now have that engine & trans in my 88 Shadow now...still works good.

Back then I think the service was around $250 total, including fluid.

I have seen many cars & trucks without dipsticks over the last few years. Ford has a plug on the bottom of the pan that you take out & put fluid back in through. GM with the front wheel drive transaxles have a plug on the passenger side housing that you have to remove to check fluid while engine is running...if it's low, you need to fill though the top of the trans and check it again. Chrysler has a plug at the top of the dipstick tube, the stick itself you have to buy from dealer and it's lots of money. Some Durango's I think have a 4" dipstick tube on the passenger side of trans..pain to check when engine is hot...it's right next to the cat converter.

I can go on, but the new stuff ain't like our old cars anymore

Bryan

Cooter

Quote from: RECHRGD on September 07, 2013, 10:20:27 PM
Cooter, I'm sick of your ridicules comments with regards to a simple post.  Try to re-read my original post and comment tomorrow when you sober up...
trust me, I read it and you replied in typical fashion.. Im sorry you asked to hear from techs that hear this all the time..complaining about prices. I go to dentist. Charges me $350.00 for one filling. I did some research and for the labor which was less than one hour, I figure he had about $45.00 in materials. Why so much???
Oh and btw: I haven't had a drop, but dealing with you I may just.  Cheers and good luck.
Shops do make bulk of the money, but ripping off seems a little harsh. Thats all I was referring to.  they have to keep the doors open and with everything going up and up, this is the end result. Maybe there will be some shops opening up and owned by Abdul arkbar, but until then....again, sorry bro. You mad?

RECHRGD

[quote author=myk link=topic=104557.msg1245106#msg1245106 da

'OP too bad about the flush-I hate those things as well.  Even when I worked at a lube shop I never recommended them, because flushing an older 'trans usually spells doom for that unit, especially if it wasn't maintained before.  I hope everything works out for your daughter...
[/quote]

Thanks Myk, she took it for a long drive last evening and all seemed well.  We shall see....
13.53 @ 105.32

cdr

a TPS that has an intermittent glitch can cause trans shifting problems!!!!!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

RECHRGD

Quote from: cdr on September 08, 2013, 10:59:07 AM
a TPS that has an intermittent glitch can cause trans shifting problems!!!!!

Thanks cdr,  I thought I'd have her give this a shot first and see how it goes.....
13.53 @ 105.32

Paul G

By new every three years and you never have to worry about the cost of repairs.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

RECHRGD

Quote from: Paul G on September 08, 2013, 11:14:21 AM
By new every three years and you never have to worry about the cost of repairs.

I completely agree with you.  But, after a six year custody battle with her sociopath ex husband, she can barely exist.  I'm paying for the repairs....
13.53 @ 105.32