News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

496/383 Need direction.

Started by bjl69rt, September 06, 2013, 09:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjl69rt

Hey guys,

Looking to stroke my '68 383 BB out to a nice 496 and just wondering what part combos others have used and what power/torque outputs you achieved. Its my first full car and engine build and like the old saying goes 'Do it once, do it properly'.

Thanks in advance

Brendan

General_01

Here's a link to my combo. Check out the other combo's that people have built in the Proven Engine Combos subsection of the Engine, Transmission, Rearend & Exhaust section.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46587.0.html
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Kern Dog

I don't think you can get to 496 with the 383. The common 496 displacement is by using a 4.15 stroke crank in a 400 block. The bore in a standard 400 block is 4.34.

cdr

383 >> 496. (4.250" stroke/6.535" rod)  Approximate Bobweight: 2150

Turn that docile factory 383 block into a fire breathing, pavement twisting engine of almost 500 cubic inches, and no one (even the car show judges) will ever be able to tell it's not a 383... until they go for a ride! The time has arrived to dust off those 383 blocks we've been leaving in the back of the garage all those years. Chrysler made 4 times as many 383's as they did 440's, and it's no longer necessary to dig up a 440 block to get almost 500 cubes! The low deck, 4.250" stroke version of our Platinum Series crank used in this kit has the smaller 2.200" (big block Chevy sized) journals, and the counterweights are finished at the smaller "B" engine size, to ensure they will drop right into the block with no counterweight clearancing issues. Depending on the block used, many of customers find this kit drops right in with no modifications whatsoever! We now offer fully chamfered "B" engine main bearings as an available upgrade! We keep all the kits listed below normally on our our shelf and ready to ship, usually within 24 hours!

Additional Kit options:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Chryco Psycho

What si the pupose of the engine ?
this is more of a race / shorter life build , oil ring will be over the wrist pin .
you can get a long way just building a 436 ci 383 using 440 crank & rods with shorter lighter pistons .

cdr

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 07, 2013, 02:48:03 PM
What si the pupose of the engine ?
this is more of a race / shorter life build , oil ring will be over the wrist pin .
you can get a long way just building a 436 ci 383 using 440 crank & rods with shorter lighter pistons .

not on the 6.535 long rod,the oil ring is not into the pin.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Challenger340

A 6.535 Rod...or .400" long BB Chev Rod...on a 4.15" Stroke...is a VERY deep breathing Engine with tons of Port Demand.
IMO,
* Sonic test all major thrust sides on your 383 Block, stay above .200" Minimum(gonna be tough enough on even a .030" over 383 Block.) Not to mention piss poor geometry.
* Shoot for a REAL 300cfm Head @ .600" Lift.

"The Engine underneath can NOT exceed the Heads above"
We regularily see 525to 550hp out of "better" geometry 438 Inch Engines with ootb Stealths or Eddys on 91 Octane with Flat Tappet Cams, and waaaay easier on the Block....
my point being...
I don't care how BIG you make the Engine underneath...if you use a similar Head..you only see about the same...albeit earlier and peakier events with the bigger Engine.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

:iagree: The cylinder heads determine the power level and adding more displacement just pushes the peaks lower. I like the 3.9 stroke in a lowdeck build....works great with a std port cylinder head.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs