News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 6 pack running rough

Started by boss429kiwi, September 06, 2013, 08:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss429kiwi

Hi

My 440 6 pack "stumbles" below 2500 rpm. It revs out very strong above 2500 rpm.

I had the carbs rebuild 6 months ago for this same reason. I have removed the needles and cleaned and reset the float levels, with no improvement. It also seems to be running slightly rich.

It seems like a fuel issue? I will add that at times it seems to go away? And runs fine down low??????

I run it on 50/50 pump gas and AV gas.

Thoughts

Cheers
Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

b5blue

Ignition? Are you using vacuum advance? (Mine LOVED it when I got it working.) Lube inside the dist. if a Mopar Dizzy, pull the rotor off and lube the wick in the shaft. Check grounds and connectors to ignition. The reason I say all this is the problem is intermittent.  :scratchchin:

Cooter

Need more info...Question/Problem has one symptom and about 15 Causes.

1. Engine ok? Rebuilt?
2. Who "rebuilt" carbs and are they done correctly? (I've seen "rebuilt" carbs done by supposedly "good" Mechanics..Shouldn't have touched them)
3. What type ignition?
4. Where's the timing at?
5. Is Vacuum Advance working?
6. Are there any vacuum leaks??
7. What shape is rotor/cap in?
8. Have you checked Firing order?

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ottawamerc

I'm guessing at a possible defective power valve or even the wrong one? :scratchchin:

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

boss429kiwi

After going through a few tests, I can screw the mixture screws home with little difference in idle?

Engine was rebuilt by Ray Burton about 11 years ago. 12.5-1 compression, not sure why? Timing set at 0, and was told this is correct for this engine.

Cooter

That's alotta compression ...sounds like engine is running lean. Engine should go full rich with mixture screws out that far.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

boss429kiwi

I have had enough!  :brickwall:

I will book it in to our local speed shop.

After reading a post about tuning 6 pack carbs, I raised the floats to mid point on the windows, lowered the idle (as it was set high so wouldn't stall), and set mixture screws 1.5 turns. It ran 90% better, no major stumbling, however still not right and still idles very rich?. When I remove the air cleaner, the idle drops and almost stalls. I can't believe that the air clear would be that dirty  :shruggy: but still not right running with no air cleaner.

Anyhow, I will now leave it up to someone else to sort out, as I am about to trade it for a Skoda!

Gary

Cooter

Skoda....haven't heard that one in a while. On our board, we had one member that loved those things... :rofl:

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

boss429kiwi

hey, where would I purchase a oval 1970 6 pack air cleaner?  :cheers: repro OK

Mopar Nut

Quote from: boss429kiwi on September 08, 2013, 02:34:41 PM
hey, where would I purchase a oval 1970 6 pack air cleaner?  :cheers: repro OK
Summit or Jegs has them.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

b5blue

Quote from: boss429kiwi on September 08, 2013, 02:33:25 AM
I have had enough!  :brickwall:

I will book it in to our local speed shop.

After reading a post about tuning 6 pack carbs, I raised the floats to mid point on the windows, lowered the idle (as it was set high so wouldn't stall), and set mixture screws 1.5 turns. It ran 90% better, no major stumbling, however still not right and still idles very rich?. When I remove the air cleaner, the idle drops and almost stalls. I can't believe that the air clear would be that dirty  :shruggy: but still not right running with no air cleaner.

Anyhow, I will now leave it up to someone else to sort out, as I am about to trade it for a Skoda!

Gary
Is this what you read: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=QuestionAnswer&Number=5995396&Searchpage=1&Main=5995174&Words=+Warrant_Officer&topic=&Search=true
There is a lot of good info in it.

Cooter

Fred

Sorry Cooter.  ;D................

Škoda Auto
Manufacturing company

Škoda Auto, more commonly known as Škoda, is an automobile manufacturer based in the Czech Republic. Škoda became a wholly owned subsidiary of the Volkswagen Group in 2000, positioned as the entry brand to the group.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.