News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

urgent question

Started by Al, September 05, 2013, 12:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Hello,

I just noticed that my Charger was dripping fuel behind the driver side rear tire. Upon close inspection I noticed that the tank is intact but I heard a bubbling noise. I opened the fuel cap and noticed that the fuel was kind of bubbling and the level mounted constantly making the fuel come out of the overflow. If I had waited for some more minutes the fuel would certainly have built up a great deal of pressure !!!

I opened the tank cap and the level of the bubbling fuel descended.

It was rather hot ouside but the tank was rather cool. I have never seen that.

What could be the cause? Is there any danger?

Any help would be greatly welcome

Al
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Cooter

Most likely the fuel overflow/vent into the left side frame rail.
Never fill all the wsy up with fuel. Only asking for problems..give it room for expansion.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

What Cooter said!

When I fill up I let the fuel slowly come up to the cap once but no more.  After a minute the fuel level has dropped well below the filler neck.  If you keep adding until it's real full you can get a few issues, one being the one you have now.

Is there danger?  No other than same old same old, fuel vapors ignite easily but the tank is not going to blow because of this no.

Obviously the overflow tube runs free or you wouldn't have the leak so just make a habit of not topping it off that much and you'll be fine.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Al

Thanks for the answers !

Forgot to say that the tank is only 3/4 full and I haven't driven the car for a week.

Al

Dino

Quote from: Al on September 05, 2013, 02:12:19 PM
Thanks for the answers !

Forgot to say that the tank is only 3/4 full and I haven't driven the car for a week.

Al

Extreme hot weather can still expand it enough but it would have to be real hot I'd say.  I've had the smell from the overflow last year when it sat in the sun for a long time but it never leaked.  If it sits in a hot building without much air movement it wouldn't surprise me all that much.

elacruze

Was the engine running? If your fuel return is near the headers or exhaust on the way back to the tank it can put a lot of heat in the fuel. Plus the crap gas we have now boils like loose propane.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Al

Quote from: elacruze on September 05, 2013, 02:45:28 PM
Was the engine running? If your fuel return is near the headers or exhaust on the way back to the tank it can put a lot of heat in the fuel. Plus the crap gas we have now boils like loose propane.

No, the engine hasn't been running for a week. The car was standing outside under the car cover (tissue) in plain sun. It was 30° Celsius.

Dino

Quote from: Al on September 05, 2013, 02:50:12 PM
Quote from: elacruze on September 05, 2013, 02:45:28 PM

No, the engine hasn't been running for a week. The car was standing outside under the car cover (tissue) in plain sun. It was 30° Celsius.

Yeah that can do it alright.  That's pushing 90 and the heat can't really get out with a cover, no matter how flimsy.

Al

Dino

Chryco Psycho

is the fuel tank black ? I have seen the sun reflect off the concrete on a black tank & boil the fuel even if the car has not been run , a coat of silver paint quickly solved the problem

Al

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 07, 2013, 02:51:01 PM
is the fuel tank black ? I have seen the sun reflect off the concrete on a black tank & boil the fuel even if the car has not been run , a coat of silver paint quickly solved the problem

in fact, it's probably the original tank, not quite black but pretty dark