News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Water pump question.

Started by 71 SE3834V, August 21, 2013, 01:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 SE3834V

Is this the seal that's popped out?
Looks like a spring behind it so didn't know if it was supposed to be like that. Also it's a 6 vane impeller. Is that correct for a '71 383 HP engine w/air? Number on it says 129701 but no Penstar so I think it's a reman. It's painted blue? Maybe used off of a later model w/blue paint?

Just found a Masterpro reman on Oreilly's website w/the same part number. Looks like it was replaced years ago and someone painted it blue before assembly.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

71 SE3834V

Ok, picked up a reman from Oreilly. It's a Mopar w/penstar and #3671083 on it. It has 8 vanes. 1 yr warranty. What I think/thought was a seal is in the same position as my old one.
Stopped at Auto Zone on the way back. They offer a Duralast reman (I think) w/life warranty for only $3 more. Picture shows  8 vanes (not in stock). I know I read about this before but can't remember which is correct. Will do some more research.

Just found out there's a sticky about this. Will read.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

71 SE3834V

Read some of the sticky and now more confused then ever. One says 8 vane is standard, 6 for a/c. Another post says the opposite.
I wasn't having any temp issues, I'm doing a timing chain replacement so you know, while I'm in there....If anything the gauge showed low but it's the factory dash gauge and I don't know how accurate it is. The thermostat was a 180* and 2 auto parts websites say 195* in factory standard. Just want to make sure everything is the correct parts.
The engine is bone stock as far as I know.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

cudaken

To be honest I am not sure on the vane count. But I do know that a 73 to 74 440 with air flows the water a little slower, so it cools better. It is all so worth 5 HP at 5000 RPM's.

If you like I will dig out my bible (DC Racing Manual) and get you a part number.

Cuda Ken
I am back

flyinlow

Quote from: cudaken on August 21, 2013, 09:54:24 PM

To be honest I am not sure on the vane count. But I do know that a 73 to 74 440 with air flows the water a little slower, so it cools better. It is all so worth 5 HP at 5000 RPM's.

If you like I will dig out my bible (DC Racing Manual) and get you a part number.

Cuda Ken

5 HP   :scratchchin:

71 SE3834V

I have the 70-71 Mopar parts catalog. It lists different pumps for a/c, non a/c. It shows the same # for 383/440 w/air as the 426 ci. When I punch in a 426 engine into Oreilly & Auto Zone website I get the same part number for either engine and none ask me if the car has air. I asked this at both store in person. I wondered if they're just selling 1 pump and people are non the wiser but it is the 8 vane and that one should be the faster flow from what I've read.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

GF7Bee

I'm prety sure that a six vane was standard as when mine let go it was a six vane. Supposedly a six vane moves more volume for better cooling, that is why they list the same pump for hemis.

71 SE3834V

Sorry, I should of updated this but have been knee deep into a timing chain replacement.
From what I read in the archives of this forum is the the standard, non a/c car had a 8 vane pump with a certain sized pulley to drive it.
With an A/C car mopar used a smaller pulley to spin the fan faster to draw more air through the radiator at idle. Therefore they used a 6 vane pump to keep cavitation from happening at higher rpm's. The question is still out there on what to used now that only an 8 vane seems to be available. I had one guy at an independent auto supply shop suggest using a diesel additive(??) to the coolant to prevent cavitation.
I have determined that my pump is in good enough shape to reinstall and it wouldn't be a big deal to replace it in the future, at least compared to the timing chain job.

And yes, when I looked up the pumps in the Mopar part catalog I saw that the same pump was used on the hemi. My guess would be that they also used a smaller pulley to pull more air through the radiator to cool that beast.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V